Please Send California Your Rakes

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Trump's Finland-based solution for California wildfires raises eyebrows

While visiting Paradise, Calif. to assess the damage done by the deadly Camp Fire, President Donald Trump said California needs to spend more time "raking and cleaning" the forest floors.

Standing next to Gov. Jerry Brown and Gov.-elect Gavin Newsom, Trump stated the president of Finland told him that taking care of the forest floors has helped the country avoid wildfires.

"You have to take care of the floors, the floors of the forest, very important," he said. "You look at other countries where they do it differently and it's a whole different story. I was with the president of Finland and he said we're a forest nation, and they spent a lot of time on raking and cleaning and doing things and they don't have any problem. And when they do, it's a very small problem."

Trump predicted that spending more time raking the forest floors would "work out well" preventing future wildfires in California.
source

I've already sent Trump my own idea, which I believe will keep our forests twice as safe. I'm hoping to make money of this so please don't share my idea with anybody until I let you know that I'm through taking care of the legal ownership of this idea. You will probably wonder, "Hey, why didn't I think of that?" because the idea is so simple, yet so right.

Okay... here's my idea. Fire extinguishers. Trump should issue an Executive Order that mandates that fire extinguishers be attached to one of every ten trees in a forest. My long term idea is to install sprinkler systems in all forests. Logistically speaking, it might be easiest to install them in the forests that have recently burned, since there should be much more room to work after the bulldozers are finished cleaning up.

Make Our Woods Incombustible Today (MOW IT) (Hats will be made available)

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Re: Please Send California Your Rakes

Post by Econoline »

ETA: "...and leave the refrigerator door open, too!"
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Wow, looks like Trump got something wrong...

Finnish President doesn't recall telling Trump Finns do a lot of 'raking' to prevent forest fires

(CNN)Finnish President Sauli Niinistö said in an interview published Sunday that although President Donald Trump claimed the European leader told him Finns rarely have forest fires because they "spend a lot of time raking," he doesn't recall discussing that with Trump when they met last weekend in Paris.

Niinistö told the Finnish newspaper Ilta-Sanomat, a CNN affiliate, that the subject of raking was never brought up in his conversations with Trump. He said that they did discuss the California wildfires when they met, and that he told Trump "we take care of our forests."

The Finnish President told the newspaper that he intended to convey that although Finland is covered by forests, the nation has a good monitoring system which has helped to prevent catastrophic wildfires. He added that he only sees raking in his own yard, and surmised that raking perhaps came to Trump's mind after he saw firefighters raking some of the burned areas in California.

"I was with the President of Finland and he said we have -- much different -- we are a forest nation. He called it a forest nation," Trump said. "And they spend a lot of time on raking and cleaning and doing things, and they don't have any problem. And when it is, it's a very small problem. So I know everybody's looking at that to that end."

Trump also told Fox News' Chris Wallace during an interview last week that aired on "Fox News Sunday" that he saw firemen raking brush near the wildfires, and that doing so earlier could have prevented the fires.

"I was watching the firemen the other day, and they were raking areas, they were raking areas where the fire was right over there," Trump said. "And they're raking ... little bushes, that you could see are totally dry, weeds. And they're raking them -- they're on fire."

"That should have been all raked out and cleaned out," Trump added. "You wouldn't have the fire."
Some on social media pointed to the difference in Finland and California's climates as a possible reason for differing approaches to forest management.
https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/18/politics ... index.html
ImageImageImage

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Isn't that why he is there?

"rake": wealthy man of dissolute or promiscuous habits.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God