More #FAKE NEWS?

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
dales

More #FAKE NEWS?

Post by dales »

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders denounced a new climate-change report as "not data driven" and "not based on facts," sharpening the Trump administration's repudiation of the document crafted by 13 federal agencies.

Sanders denounced the National Climate Assessment during a Tuesday press briefing, defending President Trump's publicly expressed doubt about its warning of potentially severe ocean-level rises and associated economic costs.

"You have to look at the fact that this report is based on the most extreme modeled scenario, which contradicts long-established trends," Sanders said. "Modeling the climate is an extremely complicated science that is never exact."

Sanders added: "We think this is the most extreme version, and it's not based on facts. It's not data driven. We'd like to see something that is more data driven. It's based on modeling."

However, Sanders said Trump is committed to ensuring the country has "the safest, cleanest air and water."

The climate assessment, released Friday, was spearheaded by the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, with assistance from other agencies, including NASA.

The report found that wildfires have worsened in severity due to climate change and that more than 13 million U.S. residents may need to evacuate due to rising ocean levels in 80 years.

Trump told reporters on the South Lawn of the White House Monday that, "I've read some of it, and it's fine," but said he did not accept forecasts of a devastating economic impact.

"I don't believe it," Trump said.

………..and there you have it! :loon

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

ex-khobar Andy

Re: More #FAKE NEWS?

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I wish I could have been a journalist in one of those press conferences. Trump refuses to listen to the Turkish Khashoggi tape on the (to me) reasonable grounds that he does not understand Arabic and that he has people who do; and they explained to him what was on the tape. Of course he draws the wrong conclusions, but to me it makes sense that when he has experts who have an understanding he does not, he will listen to their interpretation. That's what a good boss or leader does. And as the journalist my follow up question would be - why does he not employ the same mind set when it comes to climate science?

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Because his gut tells him differently. That gut is very selective as to what it tells him. :roll:

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:Trump refuses to listen to the Turkish Khashoggi tape on the (to me) reasonable grounds that he does not understand Arabic and that he has people who do; and they explained to him what was on the tape
Trump admitting that he does not understand Arabic is quite possibly the first time since he used his bone spurs to get a military deferment that he has ever admitted to any weakness or inadequacy of any kind.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I have downloaded the entire report. So far I have got through the Executive Summary of Volume I (35 pages), which deals with the science - predictions of economic effects are in later volumes. But Sarah Huckabee Sanders' assessment that this is not 'data driven' is up there with her more nonsensical statements.

SHS has her job for no other reason than that she can lie with a straight face. That's a useful skill in some professions (e.g., undercover spy, master criminal, professional poker player) but not in someone I pay through my taxes.

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

The Tom Toles editorial cartoon in the WaPo yesterday featured POTUS getting hit in the face with a pie labeled "Climate Change Evidence" while saying "Lots of very intelligent people don't see any pie. . . "

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/opi ... 5484f56d6f

and then the online comic strip service GoComics included this comment:

Trump is by no means intelligent, and by all means corrupt. But actually, even Donald Trump knows climate change is real but finds it more profitable to lie and deny.
We know he knows it is real because he petitioned the government of Ireland for permission to build a SEA WALL to protect against rising sea levels at his golf course property in Doughmore Bay, Doonbeg, County Clare, Ireland.
So he knows it is real, wants to protect himself, but will sell everyone else (and future generations) down the river for thirty pieces of oil-stained, blood-stained silver.
https://www.businessinsider.com/trump-d ... se-2017-12
The hypocrisy astounds.

Snailgate.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Burning Petard wrote:The Tom Toles editorial cartoon in the WaPo yesterday featured POTUS getting hit in the face with a pie labeled "Climate Change Evidence" while saying "Lots of very intelligent people don't see any pie. . . "
Some of you who have been on line friends for 10+ years will recall that I used to live in Buffalo NY. Tom Toles was, for a long time, editorial cartoonist on the Buffalo News; and I was truly saddened (not for him - for me) when he got a job on WaPo because his cartoon was the first thing I turned to every day on that paper. Now of course I can see him whenever I want if I haven't used up my monthly allocation, which I usually have by about the fifth of the month. He and Michael Mann (of climate change hockey stick fame) wrote a book called The Madhouse Effect (essentially about the way that seemingly reasonable people disbelieve the science for no better reason than that they don't want to believe it). I found a small error in the first edition so I sent a note to Mann - he made the correction in the second edition and sent me a signed copy.

"Hope you enjoy the book!" he wrote. Well thanks, but being told we're all gonna die and maybe sooner than we think is not particularly enjoyable. But it is a good read, and if you see it, get the second paperback edition because in no particular order (a) one tiny error has been corrected and (b) there is a new chapter on Climate Change Denial in the Age of Trump.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Now of course I can see him whenever I want if I haven't used up my monthly allocation,
I haven't tried this but I read somewhere - maybe even here - that if you use a "Private Window" on your browser you can get around that limit. On Firefox you use CTL- Shift - P to activate it.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

In Chrome it's called an "Incognito Window" and yes, that usually does work.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God