Brexit On The Brink...

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
MajGenl.Meade

Re: Brexit On The Brink...

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Couldn't happen to a nicer pinko useless twerp
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:Couldn't happen to a nicer pinko useless twerp
So when it comes to Jeremy Corbyn, I can mark you down as "on the fence".... :)
ImageImageImage

Gob

Post by Gob »

While I wouldn't trust the Express too much, no further than I can spit a cow to be honest, that trend has been reported in the quality press too.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Does antiSemitism still exist in Britain? Yes, certainly. But like elsewhere, opposition to Israeli actions against the Palestinians is construed, when it is convenient to do so, as opposition to Jews. It isn't. It's funny how BloJo, as Foreign Secretary, helped draft the UN Resolution against Israeli West Bank settlements, but he does not appear to have been tarred with the same antiSemite brush.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Polls: Despite mixed opinions on Brexit, 93% of UK Jews won’t vote for Labour

LONDON — If the polls are to be believed, Britain’s Prime Minister, Boris Johnson, is heading for a comfortable win when the country votes in December’s general election.

If so, that victory would apparently be welcomed by Jewish voters, who, surveys suggest, fear the consequences of the hard-left opposition leader Jeremy Corbyn moving into Downing Street. According to a poll published last week, just seven percent of British Jews said they would even consider supporting his Labour Party.
https://www.timesofisrael.com/polls-des ... or-labour/
ImageImageImage

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

BloJo appears to be winning the PR war. The Guardian is reporting that the "Independent Office for Police Conduct (IOPC) officials agreed not to announce whether they were going to investigate “possible criminality” over allegations about a conflict of interest in Johnson’s dealings while mayor of London with US businesswoman Jennifer Arcuri until after the election." Arcuri is the businesswoman who appeared to get favorable treatment (£126,000 worth) from Johnson when he was mayor of London. I have no idea what, if anything, BloJo got up to while visiting Ms Arcuri at her dancing pole equipped flat in East London but I would prefer it not to have been done with pubic money.

The possibility exists that Johnson's Tories might win the erection and then an investigation would begin. If guilty of misusing the taxpayers £s he could be doing porridge for the rest of his life.

Seriously, if I were looking for anti Semitism in Britain I would go looking among the monied and landed classes. It was Edward VIII who was playing footsie with the Nazis, not the man in the street. Not much has changed. We have BloJo's right hand man (there's a joke there but I shan't attempt it) Jacob Rees Mogg telling us that the doomed inhabitants of Grenfell would have survived if only they had the common sense of JRM and had disregarded the Fire Service advice to shelter in place. Johnson and Rees Mogg have shown themselves to be assholes (arseholes, to be more accurate) and we should believe them.

Gob

Post by Gob »

I'd do her.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

You'd do a housebrick.

Blimey! It's Donna!

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Another nail in the Labour electoral coffin:
General election 2019: Brexit Party will not stand in Tory seats

Nigel Farage has ditched plans to take on the Tories in more than 300 seats, after what he said was Boris Johnson's "shift of position" on Brexit.

The Brexit Party leader had planned to run candidates in 600 seats after Mr Johnson rejected his offer of a "Leave alliance" to deliver Brexit.

But he has been under pressure not to split the pro-Brexit vote.

The party will not now stand in 317 seats won by the Tories in 2017, but will continue to stand elsewhere.

Mr Farage said his party would focus its efforts on trying to take seats held by Labour, whom he accused of "betraying" its Leave-supporting voters.
https://www.bbc.com/news/election-2019-50377396
ImageImageImage

Gob

Post by Gob »

Priti Patel, the home secretary, has said the Conservatives would reduce immigration, as one of her ministers acknowledged people had felt “let down” by the party’s failure to hit its targets in the past.

Patel said levels of immigration would be lower but clearly dropped David Cameron’s failed target to cut net migration to the tens of thousands.

“We will reduce immigration overall while being more open and flexible to the highly skilled people we need, such as scientists and doctors,” she said. “This can only happen if people vote for a Conservative majority government so we can leave the EU with a deal.”

Following the announcement, the Home Office minister Brandon Lewis told the BBC he recognised the Tories had failed to keep promises in the past on reducing immigration.

“I recognise that people, including myself when I was immigration minister, have talked about reducing migration and net migration for years; we’ve not done that. And … that’s let people down. Labour obviously let the people in from all over Europe before when they were in government,” he said.

“People are always going to question whether this is doable and there are two key differences here: one is we need to be able to leave the EU, but also with a points-based system – one of the things we’ve not been able to do before, because we’ve not had a good Conservative majority.”

The Conservatives are seeking to make immigration a major dividing line between the party and Labour, as the opposition has not yet published its policy and is divided about backing free movement or a more controlled policy.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... mmigration

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Blimey! It's Donna!

Donna is now claiming that Boris has tossed her aside like a used tissue (I'm paraphrasing). The actual phrase she used was that he cast her aside like “some fleeting one-night stand” and of course I wouldn't use that expression because it's clearly a politically motivated hack job designed to give the entirely false impression that there might have been, at some point, a sexual exchange between our much loved scholar and gentleman PM and this young American blonde of obviously questionable origin and breeding. Why - I've heard that her father used to be in trade!!

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

At about the half way point of the British campaign:
PM Johnson's lead over Labour grows - Savanta ComRes poll

LONDON (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Boris Johnson’s Conservative Party extended its lead over the opposition Labour Party to 11 points this week, according to an opinion poll published by Savanta ComRes for the Telegraph newspaper on Wednesday.

Ahead of Britain’s election in just over three weeks’ time, support for the Conservatives stood at 42%, up one point from the last poll published on Saturday, while Labour was down two points at 31%.

Support for the pro-European Union Liberal Democrats rose to 15%, up one point, while the Brexit Party was unchanged at 5%.

Savanta ComRes interviewed 2,035 British adults between Nov. 18 and 19.
https://uk.reuters.com/article/uk-brita ... KKBN1XU2QN

I have to admit, I expected the race to tighten at least a bit as election day approached (and perhaps it still will)...

One of the things the Tories are benefiting from is that a lot of those who were identifying as Brexit Party are coming home to the Conservatives...(I see the BP support has dropped by about half compared to what it was prior to the announcement of the election)

Another thing they're benefiting from is the fact that Johnson is not running the kind of horrendously flat and politically tone deaf campaign that May did...

And of course the third thing they are benefiting from can be summed up in two words...

Jeremy Corbyn...

His presence as Labour Party Leader serves as a natural limiting factor on just how much Labour Party support could grow...

I don't know exactly what the final dimensions of the Tory majority will be, but at this point barring something completely unforeseen, even f the vote tightens somewhat I will be very surprised if the majority isn't large enough for Boris to at least get his Brexit plan approved. (Especially since there will presumably also be some dissident Labour votes for it as well, just as there were for the first vote)
ImageImageImage

Gob

Post by Gob »

The campaign is driving me nuts. How you fuckers put up with the year long farrago that yours entail....

wesw

Post by wesw »

y0u give us t00 much credit, g0b....

the 2016 electi0n is still g0ing 0n 4 yrs later, since 2015, alm0st 5 fuckings years n0w....

ridiculus....

thanks 0bama.

:ok

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Obama--I haven't seen him campaigning. Did I miss it?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Gob wrote:The campaign is driving me nuts. How you fuckers put up with the year long farrago that yours entail....
Year long? I wish. Our campaigns are never ending nowadays. :(
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Gob wrote:The campaign is driving me nuts. How you fuckers put up with the year long farrago that yours entail....
Every four years the run for President of the United States begins on January 21st.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

rubato

Post by rubato »

1. We are electing the leader of the free world.

2. Longer attention span.

yrs,
rubato

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

2. Longer attention span
That's the funniest thing I have ever noted you to write.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Having an endless election cycle is nothing more than a giant black hole for campaign financing and the attendant corruption; if we limited our election campaigning by law as many other countries do, we could make a dent in the stranglehold that special interests have on our system.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan