Brexit On The Brink...

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Re: Brexit On The Brink...

Post by Econoline »

• Britain to repeat its Brexit offer loudly and slowly until the foreigners get it

In dramatic scenes today, the Conservative Party has voted for Boris Johnson to return to Brussels and repeat the same offer loudly and slowly until the foreigners get it.

The EU has repeatedly rejected the proposals because they’re a bit slow and obviously didn’t understand them the first time, but senior figures within the party are confident that somebody new saying loudly saying ‘SPEAKEE ENGLISHEE’ will break the deadlock.

“The first time we explained the deal we’re after, Michel Barnier just cupped one ear and said ‘Que?’, so we think there’s room for movement there,” said MP Simon Williams.

”All Boris has to do to make Parliament happy is get the deal we have been specifically told isn’t on the table – and he can do that by raising his voice and enunciating ev-er-y syl-lab-ble. Like that,” he said.

“If I were Prime Minister I would have done it by now. It would have been dead easy, but I know how to talk to foreigners as I holiday in the Peloponnese every year.”
:mrgreen:
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Crackpot wrote:Germans? flexible?! What the hell are you smoking?
Exactly.

If Britain wants to Brexit, then they would just do it. And they would have already. I don’t know that BoJo at the top will make one lick of difference. The political will just isn’t there.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

liberty wrote:The view expressed by liberals was that having multiple mistresses while being married was a sign of European sophistication
I dismiss the unfounded statement that liberals expressed the view alleged. Please provide reliable cites evidencing the truth of your statement.

Also please provide data as to the percentage of "liberals" who expressed that view vs. the percentage of those who did not (and of course, the "don't knows"). Further, can you quantify their scoff-law refusals to pay traffic tickets, the numbers of wives abandoned, and their illegitimate child production?

I await your proofs with complete faith in your inability to provide them.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

As a self-defined liberal, what troubles me much more than liberty's own beliefs and opinions (strange as they sometimes may be) are his completely imaginary and delusional accounts of "liberal views."
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Econoline wrote:As a self-defined liberal, what troubles me much more than liberty's own beliefs and opinions (strange as they sometimes may be) are his completely imaginary and delusional accounts of "liberal views."
Or, to put it another way: it's not what he doesn't know that worries me as much as what he does know that just isn't true. Unfortunately he shares that ignorance of what 'liberals' think with many of his fellow travelers in the Stygian depths of conservatism.

rubato

Post by rubato »

UK Brexiteers are afflicted with the belief that they are still an empire and can dictate terms to the rest of the world when in fact they are a fraction of the EU.

Buh Bye !

yrs,
rubato

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

It's all under control now, BoJo has got the jacket!

Comments at the Guardian piece are (at least so far) unmitigatedly derisory and worth reading. Of course one would expect nothing else from the Graun.

I think the chap with the briefcase just behind him is hurrying to insert the backstop. Quick - I think you can still catch him while he's posing!

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

The pound has certainly been tanking in the past few days. Haven't seen a rate this low against the Canadian dollar since oil prices were $150/barrel.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

The pound is tanking? Yay! Time for me to get that Scottish cardigan I've had my eye on for a few years . . .
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

Brexit On The Brink...

Post by RayThom »

How long will it take before they start calling him "BloJo?"
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

New slogan: BJ gets the job done.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:It's all under control now, BoJo has got the jacket!

He's a clever lad - name tags are usually on the left....
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

God @The Tweet of God

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:It's all under control now, BoJo has got the jacket!

Comments at the Guardian piece are (at least so far) unmitigatedly derisory and worth reading. Of course one would expect nothing else from the Graun.

I think the chap with the briefcase just behind him is hurrying to insert the backstop. Quick - I think you can still catch him while he's posing!
Top rated BTL comment:

loudmouth
1d ago

Why does Boris Johnson need a jacket that says ‘Prime Minister’ on it?

Because the one that says 'fucking idiot' is at the dry cleaners.

360 recommends (one from me) - and counting.

Gob

Post by Gob »

rubato wrote:UK Brexiteers are afflicted with the belief that they are still an empire and can dictate terms to the rest of the world when in fact they are a fraction of the EU.

Buh Bye !

yrs,
rubato

LOL!! Another stunning display of ignorance from Mr Asperger's.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

rubato

Post by rubato »

And yet.

You have not even.

One.

Refutation.

Yrs,
Rubato

And right again,

Gob

Post by Gob »

Nothing to refute. Can you tell me how you know the thoughts of people you have not met?

Your post is just another prime example of your Aspergers.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Gob wrote:Nothing to refute. Can you tell me how you know the thoughts of people you have not met?

Your post is just another prime example of your Aspergers.
Can you tell me how you diagnose Rube without having met him?

You use Asperger's as a sort of insult. If Rube suffers from Asperger's - and I have no idea whether he does or not - I think he deserves sympathy and not scorn. Like everyone else on this board, he occasionally posts something which mystifies the rest of us.

Maybe I'm a little sensitive on the subject, because I know someone who has been diagnosed with Asperger's. Occasionally he behaves a little oddly; but those of us who know him take it in stride. And yes - there is (as I know that you know) a whole spectrum of the condition including those who are some sort of danger to others.

And BTW I disagree with 'Rube's post. Saying that Brexiteers are all little Englanders, hankering for the days when half the world was pink, is about as useful, and as true, as saying that Trump supporters are all racists.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

It is a shorthand that has come from years of dealing with Rube and his online persona. That is if his online behavior reflects his real life behavior Aspergers would be a spot on diagnosis. Rube denied this diagnosis but still behaves in the same manner so Aspergers has become a shorthand for being a self centered asshole whit behavior patterns that would only be socially acceptable if he suffered from Aspergers.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Yeah that’s bullshit. Most assholes don’t have Aspergers, and folks with Aspergers are only called assholes by people who lack compassion and understanding.

Rip on rubato for acting like an asshole at times if you like, but maybe we could all agree to stop contributing to the stigma associated with the neuro atypical by refraining from diagnosing and labeling people in this manner? Because it makes y’all look like much bigger assholes than rubato.

eta: In response to something Andy wrote - there is no responsible medical or psychiatric source that expounds a propensity for violence in persons with ASD/Aspergers. In fact, studies have shown repeatedly that such persons, and persons with mental illness in general, are not more disposed toward violence than the general population - they are, in fact, more likely to be victims of violence than perpetrators.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan