Brexit On The Brink...

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
MajGenl.Meade

Re: Brexit On The Brink...

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

rubato wrote:
wesw wrote:hey andy!!!!!

I am perfectly capable f presenting reasoned and well thught ut arguments and yu damn well knw it!!!!!
Why, it even worked in "reasoned" in that very sentence. Guess he missed deleting that one.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

wesw

Post by wesw »

why d0 yu assume that I am a liar, meade?

it is curi0us that it w0rked in that case th0

it hasn t w0rked any 0ther time that I am aware 0f.

funny thing. everything in my screen became larger as I was 0nline and I culdn t figure it 0ut.

my better half went t0 the internet settings and fixed it, then my 0 stpped wrking.

strange.

I have 0nly read y0ur resp0nse s0 far, n0w I will check t0 see if any0ne else called me a liar, well..., I am fairly sure that at least 0ne persn did, but it is Canadian s0.....

I usually d0n t edit my p0sts s0 this really is a pain in the ass.

wesw

Post by wesw »

weak, andy, weak

just admit that yu were applying different standards because f s0me internal bias.

n0 0ne is perfect

wesw

Post by wesw »

meade

I have been an ass, which I freely admit, but I d0n t think that there is evidence that I am a liar

pr0bably my 0 butt0n had0ne last gasp bef0re shitting the bed

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

wesw wrote:why d0 yu assume that I am a liar, meade?
Well, let's see.  You are a strong supporter of Donald Trump, a psychopathic liar, who has surrounded himself with others who are also find themselves challenged to speak or even recognize the truth, even when it is climbing up their legs and biting them in the balls.  And there is an old saying about how a man may be judged by the company he keeps.

This is you.  That is the sort of company you keep.  QED.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
wesw wrote:why d0 yu assume that I am a liar, meade?
I didn't assume that (at least, not about the missing o's). I thought you were working an elaborate joke but missed one.

Oh dear! What's happening to me?

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Wes - there are lots of reasons why one letter might go missing from the keyboard although it's odd if it sometimes reappears randomly. Could be as simple as a piece of crap under the letter. It could be a software/settings issue.

Does CTRL-o (press 'control' and 'o' at the same time) still work? That's the shortcut to open a new file. If you are in Word and hit CTRL-o the list of Word files should pop up. If that happens you know there's nothing wrong with the keyboard. Gd luck!

Gob

Post by Gob »

rubato wrote:

So you act like an asshole, know that you are doing so, and expect us to perceive something different?

If you are capable of informed and reasoned argument you have completely concealed any evidence of it.

yrs,
rubato

Irony, they name is Rubato....
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

S0me0ne is 0bvi0usly desperately l00king f0r attenti0n.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

If he can't get Greenland . . .

From Der Spiegel:

Trump to Johnson: Your golf cubs, the City of London, the Army, the Queen: I'm buying them, the rest you can scrap!!
Caption: No joke

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

It's been a while since I studied or spoke German proficiently, but as I learned the language, Trump's first word in the cartoon ("Iure") is gibberish.  Unless he is speaking some weird dialect or variant of low German, It should be "Ihre" ....  although since he is shown to be using other English words (such as 'Queen' and 'city' rather than 'Königin' and Stadt'), this may be an intentional error on the part of the cartoonist to further indicate just how much of a buffoon der Trumpfmeister actually is.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Look at the h in verschrotten - it looks to me that the writer has sloppy penmanship which explains the h in Ihre.

Lots of years reading all kinds of crazy penmanship grading essay tests in English courses.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:Look at the h in verschrotten - it looks to me that the writer has sloppy penmanship which explains the h in Ihre.

Lots of years reading all kinds of crazy penmanship grading essay tests in English courses.
I'll buy that.
-"BB"-

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

“Imagine a period of instability with someone in charge of the country that not everybody actively supports and uncertainty in terms of the relationship with the continent,” he said.

“It is the sort of circumstances in which anyone might choose to bury their money.”
Yes of course it's a story about a find of mid-11th century coins in a field in Somerset, south west England. Then as now, someone was trying to avoid paying his taxes. I'm shocked, shocked.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Except in those days not havingthe money was no excuse for a failure to pay; you'd likely end up beaten or killed if you didn't pay. More likely it was buried to avoid theft.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Parliament suspension: Queen approves PM's plan

Parliament will be suspended just days after MPs return to work in September - and only a few weeks before the Brexit deadline.

Boris Johnson said a Queen's Speech would take place after the suspension, on 14 October, to outline his "very exciting agenda".

But it means the time MPs have to pass laws to stop a no-deal Brexit on 31 October would be cut.

House of Commons Speaker John Bercow said it was a "constitutional outrage".

The Speaker, who does not traditionally comment on political announcements, continued: "However it is dressed up, it is blindingly obvious that the purpose of [suspending Parliament] now would be to stop [MPs] debating Brexit and performing its duty in shaping a course for the country."

Labour leader Jeremy Corbyn said: "Suspending Parliament is not acceptable, it is not on. What the prime minister is doing is a smash and grab on our democracy to force through a no deal," he said.

He said when MPs return to the Commons next Tuesday, "the first thing we'll do is attempt legislation to prevent what [the PM] is doing", followed by a vote of no confidence "at some point".

Hundreds of protesters gathered in Westminster on Wednesday evening chanting "stop the coup" and carrying anti-Brexit placards and EU flags.

The demonstration, which was organised hours beforehand, started outside Parliament before spreading towards Downing Street.

At the scene, BBC correspondent Richard Galpin described the atmosphere as peaceful and lively.

He said "good-natured" protesters on College Green broke through barriers which had been in place to separate live TV crews from members of the public - before traffic on Parliament Square was blocked by some people who sat down in the road.

Several protesters he spoke to indicated this was only the beginning of the disruption, with more demonstrations being organised for the weekend.

Three Conservative members of the Queen's Privy Council took the request to suspend Parliament to the monarch's Scottish residence in Balmoral on Wednesday morning on behalf of the prime minister.

It has now been approved, allowing the government to suspend Parliament no earlier than Monday 9 September and no later than Thursday 12 September, until Monday 14 October.

Leader of the House Jacob Rees-Mogg, who was at the meeting with the Queen, said the move was a "completely proper constitutional procedure."

Earlier, Mr Johnson said suggestions the suspension was motivated by a desire to force through a no deal were "completely untrue".

He said he did not want to wait until after Brexit "before getting on with our plans to take this country forward", and insisted there would still be "ample time" for MPs to debate the UK's departure.

"We need new legislation. We've got to be bringing forward new and important bills and that's why we are going to have a Queen's Speech," Mr Johnson added.

Shutting down Parliament - known as prorogation - happens after the prime minister advises the Queen to do it.

The decision to do it now is highly controversial because opponents say it would stop MPs being able to play their full democratic part in the Brexit process. [Seems to me the MPs have had plenty of opportunity "to play their full democratic part in the Brexit process". They've had debate after debate, vote after vote, and the result has been complete governmental paralysis. They can't muster a majority for going forward, they can't muster a majority for going back, and they can't muster a majority for staying in place... :roll: ]
https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-49493632
ImageImageImage

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Whatever one's position on Brexit, it shows a complete lack of respect for the role and reputation of the Queen on Johnson's part that he would ask for the royal power to be used in a manner that drags her right into the middle of a political debate and that creates a constitutional showdown between Prime Minister and Parliament. If only a few Tory and/or DUP MPs are put off by his tactics, he may find his government defeated on the Throne Speech and thus forced to resign. What then?
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Or London may rival Hong Kong with the people demonstrating and striking for democratic reforms after Parliament is dissolved sorry suspended. This sounds more like something Trump would do; I guess his sleaziness rubbed off on Elizabeth.

Of course, maybe Johnson's looking for a quick no confidence vote as a delaying tactic with the EU, after he's finally come to realize what a no deal brexit could do to the Union. nah, I'm giving him way too much credit.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

The decision to do it now is highly controversial because opponents say it would stop MPs being able to play their full democratic part in the Brexit process. [Seems to me the MPs have had plenty of opportunity "to play their full democratic part in the Brexit process". They've had debate after debate, vote after vote, and the result has been complete governmental paralysis. They can't muster a majority for going forward, they can't muster a majority for going back, and they can't muster a majority for staying in place... :roll: ]
I don't disagree with your comment, LJ: except that failure to agree ought to be a sign to everyone that the original binary question (Stay or Go?) was idiotic and therefore cannot be binding. The wrong question cannot generate the right answer. So the only intelligent response to what Cameron and May both found would have been to (a) revoke Article 50 (the application for withdrawal) and (b) go back to a second referendum based on based on what everyone could agree was a realistic range of costs and benefits to the various choices. If for example there was a realistic prospect that Scotland and Northern Ireland would leave the union, would the majority of voters (and England is something like 80% by population) still want to leave?

I think not. It's not too late to withdraw the suicide note. Trump, of course, thinks that Brexit is a good idea. Truly, what more do we need?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Scooter wrote:Whatever one's position on Brexit, it shows a complete lack of respect for the role and reputation of the Queen on Johnson's part that he would ask for the royal power to be used in a manner that drags her right into the middle of a political debate and that creates a constitutional showdown between Prime Minister and Parliament. If only a few Tory and/or DUP MPs are put off by his tactics, he may find his government defeated on the Throne Speech and thus forced to resign. What then?
Unfortunately them's the rules. Although I knew that the Queen had to get some sort of Privy Council OK, I did not know that the quorum for the PC is just three. (The Privy Council is a loose body of 'the great and the good' - senior politicians, judges, bishops etc who in theory provide advice to the sovereign. There are about 700 of them.) So all HoJo had to do was find three willing stooges (and he handily had them lying around in a closet somewhere) and send them off to whatever palace Her Maj was staying at, and the rest is history. I would dearly love it if she could have said "WTF BloJo - do you think I'm just some sort of rubber stamp to appease your fetishes?" But of course she is, and she didn't.