From the hustings...

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Gob

From the hustings...

Post by Gob »

Feeling suicidal vote Tory' sign erected by Labour man

A Labour supporter has erected a large sign stating "Feeling suicidal vote Tory" to the outside of his house.

Tony Davis tacked the 3ft (0.9m) wooden slogan on to his property in Little Stoke, South Gloucestershire.

Mr Davis said: "I wanted people to be made aware that Conservative change is change for the worse."

The Conservatives said the party welcomed free speech. The Liberal Democrat candidate said he approved of people saying what they think.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/poli ... 634801.stm
BNP facing Marmite legal action

The maker of Marmite is threatening legal action against the British National Party to stop it from using a jar of the spread in a party broadcast.

Unilever said it had not given the BNP permission to use its product and was looking into taking out an injunction.

The BNP's online broadcast was removed from its website, but it can still be seen on video hosting website YouTube.

The party initially said the clip was a spoof, but then claimed it had not been responsible for adding the Marmite jar.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/poli ... 637473.stm
Village stands up to 'greedy MPs'

By Ruth Lovell
Politics reporter, BBC Somerset

Driving across the Somerset levels, through the village of Burtle, I cannot fail to notice one thing.

Nearly every other house has a black and white poster up saying Vote Against Greed.

It was started by Robin Howell, who said he wanted to send a message to all politicians and parties about greed and corruption in parliament.

And now it is becoming a national campaign.

Parked outside Mr Howell's home, his car has its back seats down and more of the black and white posters, laminated and stuck on wooden posts, ready to be hammered into the ground.

He said he started the campaign after hearing a politician claim the issues around MPs' expenses were "rather more complicated" than a constituent seemed to grasp.

"And I thought 'no it isn't.' It's bleeding obvious what it is. A six-year-old knows the difference between what's fair and what's greedy. So I thought we need to let them know."

As we drove around Burtle, it seemed that Mr Howell knew most of the villagers and most of them had got involved.

Mr Howell said he was amazed how many people were prepared to have a poster outside their home. Even a family who moved there a fortnight ago were displaying one.

He said of the 100 that he started with stuck on wooden boards, he only has about a dozen left.

The main campaign, though, is being conducted online.

More than 1,000 posters have been downloaded from the Vote Against Greed website and the Facebook group has more than 150 members.

Mr Howell said he knew the posters were up in homes across England.

"In Cornwall, in Southampton, in Sidmouth, in Reading, in London, in Bristol, in Sheffield. I know of those because people in the village have already told me they've told their friends and got them to put them up."

Mr Howell, who used to be a Liberal Democrat councillor in Bristol, said the campaign was aimed at politicians of all parties.

"Of course not all politicians are greedy or corrupt, but... the decent and honest should be as angry as the rest of us, and remember they were in a better position to be aware of the greedy culture they were part of."

Burtle falls into the Bridgwater and West Somerset constituency.

The candidates standing there are: Conservative: Ian Liddell-Grainger; Labour: Kathy Pearce; Liberal Democrats: Theo Butt-Philip; BNP: Donn Treanor; UKIP: Peter Hollings; Green: Charles Graham; Independent: Bob Cudlipp.
Story from BBC NEWS:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/2/hi/u ... 634726.stm

Published: 2010/04/22 12:19:42 GMT

© BBC MMX
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Re: From the hustings...

Post by Gob »

Labour call to sack Tory Julian Lewis over gay remarks

Labour has called for New Forest East's Conservative candidate to be sacked after he compared HIV risks for gay men to the danger front-line soldiers face.

Julian Lewis is a member of the Conservative frontbench team and opposed the reduction of the gay age of consent from 18 to 16.

The Tory defence spokesman made the remarks in a letter to a constituent.

Home Secretary Alan Johnson has called for the MP to be sacked. But Dr Lewis said his view was "balanced".

Mr Johnson said that Dr Lewis's letter showed that the Tory frontbench team included people "who are evidently against any notion of homosexual equality".

In his letter, Dr Lewis wrote: "I was strongly against lowering the age of consent from 18 to 16.

"My reasoning was that there is a seriously increased risk of HIV infection arising from male homosexual activity.

You have been actively seeking the votes of gay people throughout Britain, but your frontbench team includes people who are evidently against any notion of homosexual equality

"When it comes to legalising practices that involve serious physical risk, I believe the higher limit should apply.

"This is the reason why we no longer allow 16 and 17-year-olds into front-line situations in the armed forces, for example.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/poli ... 639886.stm
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Re: From the hustings...

Post by Gob »

A Tory council candidate wearing a John Prescott mask has been arrested after allegedly knocking down two women while trying to disrupt a campaign visit by the former deputy prime minister.

Martin Coxall, a Conservative council candidate for East India and Lansbury, had to be restrained by police after allegedly assaulting two female Labour party helpers while trying to approach Mr Prescott.

The former deputy prime minister, was visiting a Labour Party office in Poplar, East London, when the incident occurred.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/electio ... z0lym6SmOJ