More Idiocy From The Trump White House

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
dales

More Idiocy From The Trump White House

Post by dales »

I'm certain that lib would applaud this woman's standing against the collectivist scientific establishment.
‘Bring back our #ChildHoodDiseases,’ White House official’s wife says as she criticizes vaccines

Lindsey Bever, The Washington Post Published 1:18 pm PST, Thursday, February 14, 2019

Darla Shine, the wife of White House communications director Bill Shine, appears to be tweeting about childhood diseases, claiming that illnesses, such as measles, mumps and chickenpox, "keep you healthy & fight cancer."
Health experts warn that the claim is not true and adds to misinformation that could cause harm.

Shine, who has been known to tweet out stories with anti-vaccination claims, wrote Wednesday on Twitter that "The entire Baby Boom population alive today had the #Measles as kids."

She added that: "I had the #Measles #Mumps #ChickenPox as a child and so did every kid I knew - Sadly my kids had #MMR so they will never have the life long natural immunity I have. Come breathe on me!"

Len Lichtenfeld, interim medical director of the American Cancer Society, told The Washington Post on Thursday there is no evidence that contracting measles makes a person healthier later in life or helps prevent cancer.

In addition, Lichtenfeld said, "It's easy to forget the disease burden that came with measles when we were young."

"It is a real illness with real consequences," he said. "Fortunately, for most people, those consequences were not serious, but it is an infection and it can cause life-threatening events. It can cause pneumonia and it can cause meningitis. Fortunately, those complications are rare but do occur - and children did die as a result of measles infections.

"I think over time, it becomes part of our past and it tends to become less relevant and less important as we move along in time and we forget how serious a problem it was for those who grew up in that generation."

Researchers are increasingly concerned about a potentially deadly neurological disorder that can develop as a delayed complication of measles after the virus has lain dormant in people's bodies for numerous years.
Measles is highly contagious.

Before the introduction of the measles vaccine in 1963, most children did contract the illness - an estimated 3 to 4 million patients each year in the United States, according to data from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Of those, 48,000 were hospitalized, 400 to 500 died and another 1,000 suffered from a severe complication known as encephalitis, a condition in which the brain swells due to an infection.

In 2000 - almost four decades after parents began vaccinating their children - measles was declared eliminated in the United States.

CDC data shows that from 2000 to 2018, there was an average of 140 measles cases per year in the United States. And there were three reported fatalities during that time - one in 2002, one in 2003 and one in 2015.

But there have been numerous outbreaks in recent years, amid an anti-vaccine movement that has been sustained, in part, by fraudulent research from 1998 that purposed to show a link between vaccination and autism.

Numerous studies have provided conclusive evidence that vaccinations do not cause autism.
It's still an issue. The World Health Organization recently named "vaccine hesitancy" as one of the "Ten threats to global health in 2019":

The reasons why people choose not to vaccinate are complex; a vaccines advisory group to WHO identified complacency, inconvenience in accessing vaccines, and lack of confidence are key reasons underlying hesitancy.

Health workers, especially those in communities, remain the most trusted advisor and influencer of vaccination decisions, and they must be supported to provide trusted, credible information on vaccines.

Amid backlash, Shine said on Twitter on Wednesday that she's "Not sure why what I tweet is so interesting, I'm not a politician, I have no influence."[no, you are a very stupid woman]

Shine shared a CNN article about how doctors at the Mayo Clinic had given a cancer patient "a highly
concentrated, lab-engineered measles virus similar to the measles vaccine" and then she went into remission.

Lichtenfeld, with the American Cancer Society, explained that the measles virus alone is not being used to treat cancer but, rather, a version that has been manipulated to specifically invade certain cancer cells.
"It's far different in any way, shape or form from giving patients an illness in order to try to treat a cancer," he said. "That is simply not what we do."

"Measles doesn't protect us from cancer. Chickenpox doesn't protect us from cancer," Lichtenfeld added. "These are diseases that kill. These are diseases that used to affect millions upon millions of people and it's very easy to forget the lives that were lost or the lives that were impacted significantly as a result of the measles epidemic because we tend for forget. We didn't live through or we don't remember it or we weren't aware of it. Let me assure you, it was a very serious disease and we don't need to see it come back."

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Re: More Idiocy From The Trump White House

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Burning Petard

Re: More Idiocy From The Trump White House

Post by Burning Petard »

As has been pointed out in another thread, we have a culture that rejects 'elitist experts.' Individuals who are famous for being famous are the real leaders.

Getting your picture on a Wheaties box decades ago is adequate to make one the primary source for how transsexuality should be managed by society--at least until the next 15 minute wonder-genius comes along

snailgate.