A Racist, Homophobic Assault...

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Lord Jim

Re: A Racist, Homophobic Assault...

Post by Lord Jim »

Jussie Smollett arrested for allegedly making up hate-crime attack

"Empire" actor Jussie Smollett has been arrested for allegedly filing a false police report claiming he was the victim of a hate-crime attack in Chicago, a police spokesman said early Thursday.

Smollett was charged Wednesday with felony disorderly conduct for the allegedly false report he made with Chicago police on Jan. 29, according to the Cook County State's Attorney's Office. In it he claimed he was assaulted by two masked men who hurled racist and homophobic slurs.

The actor, 36, who is black and gay, also said his attackers poured what he believed was bleach over him and put a noose around his neck.

Chicago Police Department spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said Smollett was in the custody of detectives, who had earlier contacted Smollett's legal team "to negotiate a reasonable surrender for his arrest." He could face probation or up to three years in prison if convicted, a Cook County State’s Attorney office spokeswoman told NBC Chicago.

Guglielmi told NBC News that the investigation into the alleged attack has demanded "considerable" police resources. He said that at one point the department had 12 detectives scouring surveillance videos.

The actor is due in court for a bond hearing at 1:30 p.m. CT Thursday.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/ch ... me-n973036
ImageImageImage

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Smollett's reason -- at the moment -- is an ongoing money dispute with Empire producers.

I suspect this is why they were busy writing Smollett out for next season -- if the series is picked up by FOX, which is totally up in the air at this point.

What a maroon!
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

liberty

Post by liberty »

Getting Attention 101: When selecting your attacker increase the probability of a successful outcome by choose individual with low credibility like “Rednecks”, poor white southerners. Do not select African-Americans unless the label “Uncle Tom” could be made to fit. Another group to avoid would be Immigrants of color especial black Africans. However, white African immigrants would be ideal especially from South Africa. Any white and some Caucasians if they have light enough skin can be creditably accused of being racist liars.

Caveat: Black Africans can be racist but that is not politically correct.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Well surprise, surprise, surprise...

Not one word from our Fearful Leader about the paper calling for a resurgence the Klan, or the white nationalist Coast Guard terrorist....

But somehow, in his busy Executive Time schedule, he did manage to find time to tweet out his indignation and condemnation of this...

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

.@JussieSmollett - what about MAGA and the tens of millions of people you insulted with your racist and dangerous comments!? #MAGA
8:09 AM - Feb 21, 2019
What about the hundreds of millions of people you have insulted with with your racist and dangerous comments, you weaselheaded fucknugget leather faced, shit-
tobogganist? :arg

(I love those colorful Scottish descriptors...)
ImageImageImage

dales

Post by dales »

So I take it you won't be supporting Trump in 2020? :lol:

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Lord Jim wrote:What about the hundreds of millions of people you have insulted with with your racist and dangerous comments, you weaselheaded fucknugget leather faced, shit-
tobogganist? :arg

(I love those colorful Scottish descriptors...)
Shit-tobogganist??
Somehow I don't think that's all that Scottish....
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Yes it is Bill:

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
· Jun 24, 2016

Just arrived in Scotland. Place is going wild over the vote. They took their country back, just like we will take America back. No games!

Duty Bound to be Different @BornMorgana

Scotland voted against leaving you leather faced, shit-
tobogganist

4:17 PM - Jun 24, 2016
More here:

https://qz.com/716915/donald-trumps-vis ... profanity/
ImageImageImage

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Lord Jim wrote:Whenever someone fakes an incident like this, (particularly one so high profile) not only do they waste police resources that could be used to solve actual crimes, they also do enormous damage to those who are genuine victims of real hate-inspired attacks...

They harm these folks almost as much as their actual attackers, by giving those who try to deny that these sorts of attacks take place ammunition to use, and causing even fair-minded people to have to wonder about the credibility of their accounts...
I don't really buy that, frankly.

Those who were disinclined to believe that race- and orientation-based attacks were commonplace (cf. our resident lush's reactions when I posted several stories about the uptick in gay bashings in the wake of Lord Dampnut's election) did not need any excuse to justify their denials, and even if this attack had turned out to be real, they would not have been convinced.

Conversely, those who do accept that such things do happen are not suddenly going to go into denial mode over one incident.

That leaves those in the mushy middle, who would not tend to outright label an attack as fake, but will try to find some way to rationalize why it had nothing to do with race or sexual orientation, unless the evidence of same is so overwhelming as to be undeniable (like the way people tried to make the murder of Matthew Shepard about anything except him being gay) . Since they wouldn't otherwise want to believe it anyway, one false claim is not going to cause them to deny what is clearly incontrovertible.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

The only "they" I see in this are. . . actors. There is no bad publicity?????
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Jussie Smollet Appears in Judge Judy's Court

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

All charges dropped against actor Jussie Smollett

Chicago prosecutors have dropped all charges against Jussie Smollett, the black and gay actor accused of faking his own hate crime.

“After reviewing all of the facts and circumstances of the case, including Mr. Smollet’s volunteer service in the community and agreement to forfeit his bond to the City of Chicago, we believe this is a just and appropriate resolution to the case,” the Cook County State Attorney’s Office said in a statement to ABC News.

Prosecutors, however, did not explain how the charges came to be so abruptly dismissed.

A Cook County Grand Jury returned a 16-count indictment, including numerous felonies, against Smollett on May 10. The most serious offense was for filing a false police report, a class 4 felony, which carries a sentence of up to five years in prison.

“His record have been wiped clean of the filing of this tragic complaint,” Smollett’s lawyers Tina Glandian and Patricia Brown Holmes said in a statement. “Jussie was attacked by two people he was unable to identify on January 29. He was a victim who was vilified and made to appear as a perpetrator as a result of false and inappropriate remarks made to the public causing an inappropriate rush to judgement.”

The news is yet another twist in a bizarre case, which stemmed from an alleged attack on the streets of Chicago one night in late January. Smollett alleged that two men — who shouted “MAGA country” alongside racist and homophobic slurs — beat him up, poured bleach on him, and tied a noose around his neck. Weeks later, police said that Smollett paid two brothers, whom he was connected to through his work on the show Fox show “Empire,” to stage his attack.

“Jussie and many others were hurt by these unfair and unwarranted actions,” Smollett’s lawyers continued in their statement. “This entire situation is a reminder that there should never be an attempt to prove a case in the court of public opinion.”

-- Author unknown

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

This is a very strange turn in a very strange case...

His lawyers are apparently trying to claim this is some sort of exoneration, but if that were the case, why is he forfeiting the bond?

And given the incredibly detailed and compelling case that both the police chief and the DA laid out when the charges were announced, they've also got some 'splainin' to do...

It looks like a plea deal, not an exoneration...
ImageImageImage

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Some other accounts I read said that it appeared the police chief had grossly overstated the case at the press conference, without having the evidence to back it all up.

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Fuck those motherfucking fuckers! That is some fucked up shit!!

Who knows what the truth is, but there is no fucking way they dropped a very good case after all the publicity. Which means they smeared the fuck out of him and destroyed his reputation on shitty evidence. The media damned well better report the hell out of this part of the story, as much as they vilified him when he was charged.

Some fucking abuse of police power and prosecutorial discretion happening all over this case.

YES! I SWORE! I’M VERY ANGRY! About this and many other ways the fixed and twisted system has been revealing itself in recent days.

Sorry, Meade. I will revert back to no expletives now.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

BSG, if this was some big police smear job, then why did he forfeit the bond? Why was the press conference he and his lawyer held a few minutes ago so low key and non-confrontational? Why isn't he suing the police?

I agree that the both the CPD and the DA's office owe the public a complete explanation (I remember the DA's press conference right after the police Chief's; she laid out a complete detailed timeline that was supposedly backed up by videotape evidence, uber receipts, phone records, proof of a $3500 payment, and of course the confessions of the two perps.) but it seems to me there are some missing pieces here...
ImageImageImage

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I didn’t say I knew the whole truth of what and why and wherefore, but one thing I do know is that the police and prosecutors have an ethical obligation to charge appropriately only after careful investigation, and that clearly didn’t happen here or they wouldn’t be dropping ALL charges. Since the police were leaking information like a sieve and much of it apparently is turning out to be untrue (it is WAS true, why the hell drop the charges??), that’s a smear job in my book. Those self righteous assholes in Chicago’s mayors office and beyond made such a big stink about Smollett smearing THEM - who is the asshole now?

eta: Despite our tendency to hold them up as role models, actors and other celebrities don’t swear an oath to the Constitution and don’t owe a duty of care to the citizenry. Police and prosecutors do.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Looks like the police are not backing down on the evidence and the mayor is standing behind them:
Emanuel calls dropping charges against Jussie Smollett a ‘whitewash of justice’

In a highly unusual decision, prosecutors on Tuesday dropped charges against “Empire” actor Jussie Smollett that accused him of staging a hate-crime attack against himself — a move that Mayor Rahm Emanuel later called a “whitewash of justice.”

The actor was indicted March 8 with 16 counts of disorderly conduct for allegedly hiring two men to attack him near his Streeterville home in January. The $10,000 posted for Smollett’s bond will be turned over to the City of Chicago Law Department.

The hearing lasted less than 5 minutes. Cook County Circuit Judge Steven G. Watkins sealed the case file.

Chicago police officials said Supt. Eddie Johnson was not briefed on the decision to drop charges and learned about it in the middle of a police academy graduation ceremony scheduled at the same time Foxx’s office announced it.

A police source said Johnson was “furious” and maintained the evidence against Smollett was “rock solid.”

Later in the day, Johnson said he believed “the city is still owed an apology.”

“Do I think justice is served? No,” Johnson said. “Where do I think justice is? I think this city’s still owed an apology.”

Emanuel ripped the decision to drop charges against Smollett.

“This is without a doubt a whitewash of justice, and sends a clear message that if you’re in a position of influence and power, you’ll get treated one way, other people will be treated another way,” Emanuel said. “There is no accountability in the system. It is wrong, full stop.”

Ed Wodnicki, the 18th District police commander who oversaw the investigation, called the decision to drop the charges “a kick in the gut.”

He said the $10,000 in bond forfeited by Smollett “doesn’t come close” to covering the cost in resources and manpower to probe the heater case that drew national attention.“I think the citizens of Chicago should be upset about that,” Wodnicki said.
https://chicago.suntimes.com/entertainm ... t-hearing/

What a mess...
ImageImageImage

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

It is Chicago. The judge sealed the case file. Any other questions?

No I do not want to move to New Orleans or Miami either.

snailgate.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

To paraphrase F. Scott Fitzgerald,"The rich (and/or famous) are different from you and me."

Call me a skeptic but I get a feeling Lee Daniels may have talked to someone who knows someone.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

So yeah, this is very smelly. I mean cops do lie and it’s not like Chicago PD didn’t railroad dozens of actually innocent men into Illinois state prisons, because it did and not so long ago either. But, something is hinky about how this went down and then to seal the file? Sounds like the PD and DA’s offices are gonna be extra warm and fuzzy for a while now - NOT!

I have questions - why is Smollet allowed to say he was honest throughout if the agreement required some acknowledgement of guilt that justified the surrender of bond? That’s just weird.

What a mess indeed.
~ Carl Sagan