A Racist, Homophobic Assault...

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

or maybe not...

I have to say that I was somewhat skeptical about this one from the beginning; it seemed just a little too "perfect"...
Focus of Jussie Smollett assault investigation has ‘shifted,’ Chicago police say

By Bethonie Butler
February 16 at 11:27 PM

Chicago police say new information in the case involving an alleged assault against Jussie Smollett has “shifted the trajectory of the investigation” and that they want to interview the “Empire” actor again.

In a statement Saturday night, police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi said the information was received in interviews with two individuals who were questioned by police and that the department has reached out to Smollett’s attorney to request a follow-up interview.

Chicago police said last month they were investigating an alleged assault against Smollett, who is black and openly gay, as a possible hate crime. Smollett told police he was attacked about 2 a.m. on Jan. 29 by two people who yelled racial and homophobic slurs, tied a rope around his neck, and poured a chemical substance, which he believes was bleach, on him. According to Smollett, at least one assailant told him “this is MAGA country” during the alleged attack.[Gee, a racial slur, a gay slur, a noose, and a Trump reference to boot. That pretty much checks all the boxes...I guess they forgot their KKK hoods.]

On Friday, Chicago police said they had arrested two potential suspects on “probable cause that they may have been involved in an alleged crime.” Guglielmi told The Washington Post that at least one of the two men, who were later released without being charged, has worked on the Fox drama. Guglielmi did not confirm whether the men — who are of Nigerian descent and believed to be the “persons of interest” seen in surveillance images released by police last month — knew Smollett.

The sources told CNN there are records that show the two brothers purchased the rope found around Smollett's neck at a hardware store in Chicago.

“Due to new evidence as a result of today's interrogations, the individuals questioned by police in the Empire case have now been released without charging and detectives have additional investigative work to complete,” Guglielmi said in a tweet Friday night.

The latest police statement comes amid increasing news reports, which cite unnamed police sources, that Smollett may have staged his own attack in the city last month.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/arts-ent ... cc10b95fe5

ETA:

From the same article:
"It feels like if I had said it was a Muslim or a Mexican or someone black I feel like the doubters would have supported me a lot much more," Smollett said. "And that says a lot about the place where we are as a country right now."
Well I guess that depends, Mr. Smollett...

If there was evidence that the folks who were caught on video leaving the scene, and who bought the rope that was used in your "attack" were two Swedish guys who had worked on your television show, I suspect there would still be a fair number of "doubters"...
ImageImageImage

ex-khobar Andy

Re: A Racist, Homophobic Assault...

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I had heard of neither Smollett nor his show 'Empire' until this shit hit the fan. But I have to say that I wondered, too. How likely was it that Mr Smollett, out walking on a cold night in Chicago, would run into a couple of racist homophobes who just happened to be carrying a rope and a bottle of some unknown chemical in the hope that they would find some gay black guy they could use it on?

Assuming that this new interpretation of the story is true, then Mr Smollett has given plenty of ammunition to the racists and homophobes and the Harvey Weinsteins of the world. Lock the fucker up.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Outside of good memory and recall, plus good gesticulation and movement, most actors are vapid, and self aggrandizing.

"Rumor had it..." that Smolette was to be written out of next season's "Empire" (if the production was given another season by FOX) and I feel this was his strange way of trying to staying relevant. Unfortunately the ruse has backfired, and he'll most likely be regarded like Kryptonite to any studio after he settles all of the upcoming court appearances.

Jussy's next role: "Do you want fries with that?"
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

What made me suspicious—suspicious enough to look up the story and see exactly where the alleged assault took place—was the “this is MAGA country” comment. While there are admittedly still some very racist neighborhoods in Chicago, the area near 300 E. North Water St. is definitely not one of them. This is a very ritzy location, right by the Sheraton Grand Chicago hotel and the NBC Tower, and even at 2 AM it is absolutely *NOT* “MAGA country”.

The story struck me as something made up by a native and/or resident of either the east coast or the west coast, who thinks of all the rest of the country as “flyover country”—uniformly white, rural, and unsophisticated.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

rubato

Post by rubato »

Neverheardofhimbefore. Look forward to a future where I never hear of him again.

This is a nation of 325 million people and someone does something stupid every day. Most of it does not mean anything.

yrs,
rubato

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Rubato, reading your post above, I had a flashback to J. Heller's 'God Knows' and his version of Kings David and Solomon.

So do you mind if I write your observation down in my notebook?

snailgate

liberty

Post by liberty »

This guy was stupid If he had hired himself a couple Honkey bums he would have gotten the publicity he wanted and they would be in prison for a hate crime.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Here's the evidence that started the controversy....

(If all you see is the word "Image" on your screen - right click on the word and choose 'view image')

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Factual or not, that's a well-staged demonstration of how an image can be manipulated and "proof" manufactured by simple trickery.  The technique shown here, known as "cropping", would work even with old-school photos shot on film.

The problem, however, lies in that by showing in this manner how easy it is to manipulate an image merely by cropping out the background, and knowing what can be done to digital images through commonly-available editing tools like Photoshop or MSPaint, it really does lend credence to those people — including Trump — who point to certain articles and deride them as "fake news".  No longer does the old claim of "pics or it never happened" hold water when you can take an image and turn it into anything you want it to be.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

rubato

Post by rubato »

Burning Petard wrote:Rubato, reading your post above, I had a flashback to J. Heller's 'God Knows' and his version of Kings David and Solomon.

So do you mind if I write your observation down in my notebook?

snailgate
Suit yourself. I have not heard of "god knows" but I'll order a copy and put it in the pile of books I haven't read.

yrs,
rubato

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

This is a nation of 325 million people and someone does something stupid every day. Most of it does not mean anything.
If what appears increasingly likely to be the case is in fact what happened here, it is far worse than "stupid"...

Whenever someone fakes an incident like this, (particularly one so high profile) not only do they waste police resources that could be used to solve actual crimes, they also do enormous damage to those who are genuine victims of real hate-inspired attacks...

They harm these folks almost as much as their actual attackers, by giving those who try to deny that these sorts of attacks take place ammunition to use, and causing even fair-minded people to have to wonder about the credibility of their accounts...

If Smollett faked this attack what he did is absolutely despicable and he should be made an example of. They should throw the book at him with whatever charges are appropriate, and sentence him to real time in the slammer. (I understand he could get three years for filing a false police report. He should serve every minute of that, plus a hefty fine for the costs incurred by the police investigating the phony crime.)

These kinds of attacks do take place. They take place far more frequently than they are faked. There needs to be zero tolerance and maximum punishment for anyone staging a hoax to provide a strong deterrent value. Bringing an end to these hoax claims is essential to preserving justice for the real victims.
ImageImageImage

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

These kinds of attacks do take place. They take place far more frequently than they are faked. There needs to be zero tolerance and maximum punishment for anyone staging a hoax to provide a strong deterrent value. Bringing an end to these hoax claims is essential to preserving justice for the real victims.
I am in absolute and total agreement, LJ.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

rubato wrote:
Suit yourself. I have not heard of "god knows" but I'll order a copy and put it in the pile of books I haven't read.

yrs,
rubato
I wouldn't bother. I eagerly bought "Something Happened" which came out many years after Catch-22. Nothing happened for me.

I bought "God Knows" which took another decade or so. If God knows, he's not telling.

rubato

Post by rubato »

He is an actor and depends for his career on the good opinion of the public. There is no need to hyperventilate about increasing his punishment.

yrs,
rubato

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

" If God knows, he's not telling." As I remember it, that is exactly the point Heller was making in the book. Yes, it was many years ago that I read it, but I remember it as pretty funny. But I think you had to know the religious viewpoint he was satirizing.

snailgate.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

rubato wrote:He is an actor and depends for his career on the good opinion of the public. There is no need to hyperventilate about increasing his punishment.

yrs,
rubato

ImageImageImage

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

It's 2019, And Gay People Are Still Being Forced To Attack Themselves In The Streets
https://babylonbee.com/news/opinion-its ... he-streets

MAGA: Make America Gay Again.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I can remember back in the olden days when people would attack gay black people without charging some outrageous fee that only a rich celebrity could afford.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Joe Guy wrote:I can remember back in the olden days when people would attack gay black people without charging some outrageous fee that only a rich celebrity could afford.
Oh, those were the days, my friend.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

"The actor is known for playing Jamal Lyon in Fox's drama Empire"

Known? Is there no end to these lies?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts