Finally, Somebody Besides Wes Talking About "Civil War"

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Lord Jim

Finally, Somebody Besides Wes Talking About "Civil War"

Post by Lord Jim »

Coast Guard officer wanted to kill Democrats, TV hosts, say prosecutors

Christopher Paul Hasson was arrested Feb. 15 on drug and gun charges. Prosecutors say he wanted "to murder innocent civilians on a scale rarely seen."

WASHINGTON — A U.S. Coast Guard lieutenant working in the nation's capital lived a secret life as a "domestic terrorist" who aspired to mass murder and compiled a target list of prominent politicians and journalists, federal prosecutors allege in court papers.

Christopher Paul Hasson was arrested Feb. 15 on drug and gun charges, but prosecutors said in a detention memo this week that he intended "to murder innocent civilians on a scale rarely seen in this country."

He has espoused extremist views for years, the court papers say, and he read the manifesto of Anders Breivik, the white supremacist Norwegian terrorist who shot and killed 77 people in 2011.

From January 2017 to January 2019, "the defendant conducted online searches and made thousands of visits for pro-Russian, neo-fascist, and neo-Nazi literature," the document says.

"I am dreaming of a way to kill almost every last person on the earth," reads a draft email found on his computer. "I think a plague would be most successful but how do I acquire the needed/ Spanish flu, botulism, anthrax not sure yet but will find something."

In another letter to himself found on his computer, court papers say, he says, "I am a long time White Nationalist, having been a skinhead 30 plus years ago before my time in the military."

The Coast Guard flagged him because of internet searches of extremist web sites at work, [thank God the guy was an idiot] a federal law enforcement officer told NBC News.

"He wasn't too surprised to be arrested, but he was worried about law enforcement officers entering his home, the official said.

A search of his Silver Spring, Maryland, residence yielded 15 firearms and 1,000 rounds of ammunition, the court documents say.

He was abusing the narcotic tramadol, and he had stockpiled 30 bottles of human growth hormone, prosecutors said in court papers.

The combination of drugs and guns was a significant concern, [Yeah, I could see where that might be a troublesome combo]the federal law enforcement official said.

Prosecutors allege Hasson was following Breivik's manifesto, seeking to target "political leaders, media leaders, cultural leaders, and industry leaders."

They say he searched the web for MSNBC host Joe Scarborough, and "compiled a list of prominent Democratic Congressional leaders, activists, political organizations, and MSNBC and CNN media personalities."

Prosecutors say the list included designations they believe referred to Democratic Sens. Richard Blumenthal, Chuck Schumer, Elizabeth Warren, Tim Kaine, Kirsten Gillibrand and Cory Booker; House Speaker Nancy Pelosi; and House Democrats Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez, Maxine Waters, Ilhan Omar and Sheila Jackson. Also on it was former Rep. Beto O'Rourke and former Hillary Clinton campaign chairman John Podesta.

Media figures on the list included Scarborough, MSNBC hosts Chris Hayes and Ari Melber, and CNN's Don Lemon, Chris Cuomo and Van Jones.[No big thang; the 1st Amendment would be strengthened without them...]

On the same day he compiled the list of prominent people, Jan. 17, the defendant performed the following Google searches at the following approximate times, court papers say:

8:54 a.m.: "what if trump illegally impeached"

8:57 a.m.: "best place in dc to see congress people"

8:58 a.m.: "where in dc to congress live"

10:39 a.m.: "civil war if trump impeached"

11:26 a.m.: "social democrats usa"

"The defendant is a domestic terrorist, bent on committing acts dangerous to human life that are intended to affect governmental conduct," the detention memo says.
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/military/c ... rs-n973786

I'm sure that our President, being the moral exemplar for the country that he is, will be burning up his twitter feed today condemning this guy and praising law enforcement for bringing him to justice, (he said, unable to contain his sarcasm...)
ImageImageImage

BoSoxGal

Re: Finally, Somebody Besides Wes Talking About "Civil War"

Post by BoSoxGal »

Media figures on the list included Scarborough, MSNBC hosts Chris Hayes and Ari Melber, and CNN's Don Lemon, Chris Cuomo and Van Jones.[No big thang; the 1st Amendment would be strengthened without them...
Are you serious?! Or are you really making a joke of that nature in the context of an article about a crazed fascist plotting assassinations of members of the free press?!

Either way, that’s despicable, LJ.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

That statement was a reference to something wes has said about getting rid of some (or all) of those journalists.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Thanks, CP...I've quoted this before and taken wes to task for it a number of times:
wesw wrote:
I think that the 1st Amendment would be just fine, and in fact better served, if some of these Yellow Journalists, and their employers, were left by the wayside....
viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18960&p=256728&hili ... de#p256728

It is astonishing to me that anyone who has been reading my posts for years could think that comment I inserted could possibly be intended to accurately reflect my views... :? :roll: :shrug

I'm going to assume that strange mistake was not widespread, and I certainly have nothing to apologize for...
ImageImageImage

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

You never have anything to apologize for, LJ - just like you’re never wrong.

As I’ve mentioned numerous times, I’ve had wesw on ignore the majority of the past two years. From other comments I’ve seen, I’m not the only one here who has him relegated to that status.

So I’m not apologizing for not getting your reference or for being offended by that comment, considering the seriousness of the context. How easy it would have been for you to just add ‘as per wesw’ - but of course I’m the idiot for not knowing it because you are perfect at all times and in all opinions.

:roll:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

liberty

Post by liberty »

Well, Jim they got the very last one there is no more resistance to the neo-fascist liberal takeover of the country? The real difference between you and I is that I don’t give a damn what they think. Of course I am not wealthy either. I am not saying that you are a closet anything, you are straight forward about what you believe, I am just saying that you care too much. If they had their way and they might someday all liberal deniers along with climate change deniers would be in concentration camps and they would have no problem justifying it.

their not there.
Last edited by liberty on Fri Feb 22, 2019 4:01 am, edited 2 times in total.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I've read liberty's post several times and even corrected the spelling and grammar, but I still have no clue what he is trying to say.

As to your post, LJ:
Media figures on the list included Scarborough, MSNBC hosts Chris Hayes and Ari Melber, and CNN's Don Lemon, Chris Cuomo and Van Jones.[No big thang; the 1st Amendment would be strengthened without them...]
I am not sure whether you are being sardonic or sarcastic. We've been through this before: the [/s] label works for both, and some people need it. [/s]

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I am discomfited by this story. How did this guy make it in the Coast Guard? The main stream media stories I have seen/read imply he was on active duty when the story broke, but never say just what or where. Was this just the final straw in a routine review of a Coast Guard officer's fitness for duty?

"The defendant is a domestic terrorist, bent on committing acts dangerous to human life that are intended to affect governmental conduct," the detention memo says. Really? Just what ACT of domestic terrorism has he committed? As far as I can determine he has not even posted an insulting message on social media. He has only made statements of aspiration to some day do something really, really bad. Pretty weak for real someone actually 'bent on committing acts dangerous to human life' unless you use pretty sweeping definitions. But I guess that is the way our metaphorical trial-by-combat criminal justice system works.

This massive arsenal looks very un-impressive to me. No Barrett 50's. No bump stocks. Most of the long guns are simple .22 rifles. or very ordinary shotguns. OK, I wish I had the nice little Browning auto 22. It is a very classy plinker. He did have 3 'black rifles' which seem to have become a meme for scary people. In total the arsenal looks to me to be a very long way from doing something more infamous than the Las Vegas concert shooting.

It does look like the system has taken a very scary guy off the street. I just worry about where the line is. In general, I just don't like preventive detention.

snailgate.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

The military and law enforcement have for many many years been a haven for KKK/white supremacists types.

Anyone paying attention to the media coverage of racial profiling and unjustified use of deadly force cases in recent years has to come to the conclusion that clearly the psychological screenings aren’t screening out the monsters.
~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I am not sure whether you are being sardonic or sarcastic. We've been through this before: the [/s] label works for both, and some people need it. [/s]
(I'm guessing you're probably not one of those people Andy... ;) )

I guess it was foolish of me to think that the three previous times I quoted wes on this:

viewtopic.php?f=11&t=19335&p=264778&hil ... ts#p264778

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18960&p=256865&hili ... ts#p256865

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=18960&p=256779&hili ... ts#p256779

would be sufficient for folks to get my point...

Also, I invite anyone to do an advanced search for "Lord Jim" and the phrase "first Amendment" and find anything that I have ever posted that could remotely give the impression that I would be supportive of or indifferent to, journalists being murdered...

In fact what anyone who has ever read my views here on the subjects of freedom of the press and freedom of speech (and I've posted extensively on the topics) couldn't help but notice is that those are two areas where I come the closest to being a "civil libertarian" then on anything else...

What one will find over and over in my posts on the First Amendment are references to the need to preserve those rights for those we disagree with, and even those who express the views we find most odious...

So I remain completely at a loss to as to how anyone who has ever read anything I have said on the subject could conclude that I might be expressing the idea of supporting the murder of journalists as a sincerely held view...

Just out of curiosity, is there anybody else here who made that mistake?
ImageImageImage

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Some people walk around with a victim chip on their shoulder...

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Back to the thread topic:
Burning Petard wrote:I am discomfited by this story. How did this guy make it in the Coast Guard? The main stream media stories I have seen/read imply he was on active duty when the story broke, but never say just what or where. Was this just the final straw in a routine review of a Coast Guard officer's fitness for duty?

"The defendant is a domestic terrorist, bent on committing acts dangerous to human life that are intended to affect governmental conduct," the detention memo says. Really? Just what ACT of domestic terrorism has he committed? As far as I can determine he has not even posted an insulting message on social media. He has only made statements of aspiration to some day do something really, really bad. Pretty weak for real someone actually 'bent on committing acts dangerous to human life' unless you use pretty sweeping definitions. But I guess that is the way our metaphorical trial-by-combat criminal justice system works.

This massive arsenal looks very un-impressive to me. No Barrett 50's. No bump stocks. Most of the long guns are simple .22 rifles. or very ordinary shotguns. OK, I wish I had the nice little Browning auto 22. It is a very classy plinker. He did have 3 'black rifles' which seem to have become a meme for scary people. In total the arsenal looks to me to be a very long way from doing something more infamous than the Las Vegas concert shooting.

It does look like the system has taken a very scary guy off the street. I just worry about where the line is. In general, I just don't like preventive detention.

snailgate.
SG, I think it's certainly fair to question whether this guy had the capability to carry out the level of attack that he apparently aspired to, (and he's obviously deeply mentally disturbed; at one point apparently even talking about wanting to try to kill-off most of the human race) but we have thwarted numerous Islamist terrorist attacks while they were still in the planning stages, and those involved have been charged and punished accordingly.

To me that seems entirely appropriate in this case as well.
ImageImageImage

liberty

Post by liberty »

I don’t think fantasizing is a crime. Stuart Woods has a character in his Stone Barington books that kills conservative politicians. As far as I know he has never been charged with a crime.

What, you don’t expect the right be frustrated when the left gets away with metaphorical murder?
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

liberty

Post by liberty »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:I've read liberty's post several times and even corrected the spelling and grammar, but I still have no clue what he is trying to say.

It is all sarcasm except the part about Jim caring too much.
As to your post, LJ:

liberty

Post by liberty »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:I've read liberty's post several times and even corrected the spelling and grammar, but I still have no clue what he is trying to say.

As to your post, LJ:
I bet you would really suck at cryptology.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Eugene Robinson made a very good point (Yes, The Age Of Trump has actually led me to write comments like that) on Morning Joe a little while ago...

If an illegal alien had been caught with this amount of fire power and attack planning, with "hit lists" of Trump Administration officials, Republican Party leaders, and pro-Trump TV news personalities, can you imagine the endless , hysterical caterwauling that would be issuing forth from the Fear Mongerer-In-Chief?

But in this case:
Trump stays silent on media-hating Coast Guard officer

But when it comes to those insulting MAGA-ites, Trump relishes jumping in.

When Chicago police accused actor Jussie Smollett of fabricating a story about being attacked by MAGA-loving bigots, President Donald Trump was quick to weigh in. “What about MAGA and the tens of millions of people you insulted with your racist and dangerous comments!?” he wrote on Twitter.

And when Catholic high school student Nick Sandmann filed a lawsuit against The Washington Post this week over its coverage of last month’s confrontation between the teenager and a Native American elder, Trump couldn’t help himself. “Go get them Nick,” he declared. “Fake News!”

But more than 24 hours after news broke that a Coast Guard officer — an avowed white nationalist — was allegedly plotting to kill Democratic politicians and journalists, Trump has, at least so far, not said a word.

Asked for comment, White House spokeswoman Sarah Huckabee Sanders said, “The president and the entire administration have condemned violence in all forms as we have stated many times.” Sanders did not respond to questions about whether Trump planned to tone down his rhetoric.

Trump’s silence is notable for a president who never hesitates to spout off about issues large and small, from Venezuelan politics to "Saturday Night Live." It reflects a deep sensitivity by the president and his aides to accusations that his verbal assault on the free press, personalized attacks on political targets and racially charged language could incite violence. But it also illustrates a tactic that those who know Trump say he has used for decades to shape coverage while tearing down his opponents — comment on the issues he wants to amplify and get covered, while ignoring those that don’t fit his preferred narrative.

“Long before he arrived at the White House, President Trump learned to use media coverage to build a brand and shape positive narratives,” said a former White House official, who was granted anonymity to characterize the president’s approach to the media.

News of the alleged domestic terror plot comes the same week that the president has ramped up his criticism of the media, insisting that The New York Times is “a true ENEMY OF THE PEOPLE,” despite warnings from the newspaper’s publisher that such rhetoric puts journalists in danger. He also went after The Washington Post’s fact checker, a section that tracks Trump’s misstatements.
There's more to this article, it's worth reading in it's entirety:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/02/ ... er-1179749
ImageImageImage

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

According to reports he was doing all this from his desk at CG HQ.

One has to wonder what the fuck his boss was doing. If someone has a full time job and churns out only a few hours of real work each week, you think the boss would notice.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

there are likely a lot of jobs, especially in the military, where those few hours are all that is expected. I recall several friends (from ROTC) who went into the active duty army after college and literally had to find things to do and to keep the troops (generally infantry) occupied; the idea of looking busy or you'll be assigned a shit job is a real one.

But here I imagine something tipped the higher ups off, as I would not think the internet habits of officers are routinely monitored absent a particular concern.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

According to reports he was doing all this from his desk at CG HQ.
He must have thought the coast was clear.

liberty

Post by liberty »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:According to reports he was doing all this from his desk at CG HQ.

One has to wonder what the fuck his boss was doing. If someone has a full time job and churns out only a few hours of real work each week, you think the boss would notice.
I wonder who this guy’s superior is, what does he look like and what is his politics? I would not put it pass a liberal to frame someone for political propaganda. Neo-fascist liberals will do anything to promote their agenda.

There are few liberals in the military, but there should be zero. Neo-fascist liberals cannot be trusted. It is bad enough that they have infiltrated the FBI. One now has to be suspicious of FBI agents even if the agent himself is not a liberal his superior might be. If they don’t like you for whatever reason they can always frame you by saying you lied to them. I don’t care that J Edgar Hoover was a homosexual I just wish he was back in charge of the FBI.