This needs to be said.

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

This needs to be said.

Post by Econoline »

. :ok :clap:

In a similar vein (and this one's not just for lefties, it's for everybody)...a quote I found recently:
      • “No matter what you believe, you will someday meet a complete idiot who agrees with you.”
        — Alex Krislov
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Lord Jim

Re: This needs to be said.

Post by Lord Jim »

“No matter what you believe, you will someday meet a complete idiot who agrees with you.”
— Alex Krislov

Ah yes, I have found myself in that unfortunate situation on more than one occasion... :oops: :?

in fact it's happened on this board...
ImageImageImage

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

I need some guidance here. Since there are ignorant idiots in every group, where do I check credentials for proper charity?

I was just over at the Guardian news web page and clicked on an item about Chick-fila and its corporate views on LGBT issues. It mentioned that the corp is giving just under 2mill a year to three anti-gay groups. One of them is the Salvation Army.

Not hard for me to boycott Chick-fila. There is one less than two miles from me and I never buy anything there. Not a boycott, I just don't care for the food.

So just how pure must I be? I am severely anti-anti-abortion rights. I think I am a supporter of gay rights. BUT I do give money to the Salvation Army, perhaps five percent of all my charitable giving. Worse, I work as a volunteer in a food distribution center that gives food to any one that shows up. The ONLY qualification is some sort of ID that indicates they reside or work in a particular ZIP code.The intent is to focus on helping the neighborhood. There are other food banks around and 'soup kitchens' that provide hot mealsl, but they are not very local. However, this food bank is organized and managed by the Roman Catholic church--the organization that protects pedophiles and rapists, and works hard to ban legal abortion. Most of the food there is donated by businesses owned or managed by Catholics.

So where do I draw the line? Or is this actually just 'Oh! There's a squirrel!'

snailgate

Later edit: I have news for the person with the coffee mug in the middle panel on the right up at the top of this thread--The AR15/M16 is a very little gun that fires a very little bullet.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Burning Petard wrote:Later edit: I have news for the person with the coffee mug in the middle panel on the right up at the top of this thread--The AR15/M16 is a very little gun that fires a very little bullet.
But the problem is that it can fire a hell of a lot of those 'little' bullets, fairly accurately and with a lot more force behind them than, say, a .22-caliber long-rifle bullet (which it almost matches in diameter, but far exceeds in both length or mass), in a hell of a hurry.  I'm sure that should be huge consolation for those people in Las Vegas, for example, who were shot by one of those 'little' bullets.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

BB, you are quite right and thereby agree with me that the pictorial argument endorses the article of faith (as far as I know, there is no scientifically accepted study that establishes either conclusion about utility of size, so it must be a matter of subjective faith) that a tiny penis can be very effective.
It is peculiar rhetoric to point out that there are even smaller guns, bullets, and penis. I will call your .22 long rifle and see you with a .17 Ruger.

in actual effectiveness as an act of terror, or even military utility, a big bomb on an airplane or even the plane itself is more effective than even several AR15's with big magazines and bump stocks. I

As to those people in Las Vegas. there is no political philosophy that provides any consolation.

But again, what is the standard to decide if it is morally or ethically appropriate for me to work in a food bank managed and supplied by the Roman
Catholic Church?

snailgate.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Snail, BB is very literal and often misses a more subtle notion. Straight shooter (for however long that remains a compliment :lol: ).

Your dilemma re Catholic charity and Sally Army = squirrel IMO, as you suspected.

By living, working and paying taxes in the USA, you are not in any way endorsing Trumpian politics, are you? Funding local police departments with your taxes/rates/whatever doesn't mean you support gunning down black motorists for driving while not white.

So why on earth should helping to feed poor people indicated endorsement of reprehensible behavior by some of the authorities in other parts of that organization?

As to the Sally Army, I doubt that they spend money on not-favoring homosexuality (but perhaps I'm wrong). Supporting their charitable efforts seems unlikely to be contributing to anti-homosexual propaganda or activity. (Perhaps I'm wrong).
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts