have you seen the news?

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
wesw

have you seen the news?

Post by wesw »

it s all over the news, france is in turmoil.

massive street protests nationwide.

20 weeks in a row.

well, I guess that the press is free to ignore reality....

Canada too......

the protests are live on youtube if you want to educate yourselves....

Canadians are rising as well.....

you are free to ignore it.

CNN forever, right?

liberty fraternity and all that jazz...., yeah?

those yellow vests do look stupid tho......

and all those yellow American flags just ain t right......

ok,ok..., I ll go away again.....

all of meade s vile talk of high anuses and balls are just too much......

help an immigrant, abort your babies!!!!!!

down with hotpants!!!!!

titties for everyone!!!!!!

I won t mention you know who...., I wouldn t want to trigger any of you snowflakes into a meltdown....

8-)

this place is lousy with old white men anyway.....

ex-khobar Andy

Re: have you seen the news?

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Per wes:

it s all over the news, france is in turmoil.

massive street protests nationwide.

20 weeks in a row.

well, I guess that the press is free to ignore reality....
So it's all over the news and the press is ignoring it.

I'm sooooo confused.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

The ability to believe completely factually contradictory assertions simultaneously is a prerequisite for being a Trumpanzee, Andy...

Folks like you and I just don't have the gene...
ImageImageImage

RayThom

have you seen the news?

Post by RayThom »

wesw, I'm a bit of a rube when it comes to correctly and accurately interpreting the news -- especially that from the White House.

Can you tell me what type of wind turbine cause cancer and exactly what city in Germany was Lord Dampnut's father born?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

what did it say? what's the weather like today?

Is it good news?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Per Ray:

. . . exactly what city in Germany was Lord Dampnut's father born?
I'm guessing he was born in Münchhausen. The Barony is now free and I think Trump could apply for it - it would be an upgrade from the lordship of Dampnut. He is clearly qualified.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:what did it say? what's the weather like today?

Is it good news?
ImageImageImage

RayThom

have you seen the news?

Post by RayThom »

ex-k A, I think you nailed it. I heard the German city was Bronxburg -- far-west of Berlin -- but your research proves otherwise. Thanks.

President Donald Trump and Political Munchausen Syndrome by Prexy
https://www.commondreams.org/views/2019 ... rome-proxy
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Folks just don’t understand that Trump was referring to his spiritual father - who he incorrectly asserted was born in Germany.

Adolf was actually born in Austria.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

BoSoxGal wrote:Adolf was actually born in Austria.
Well, actually...I think Adolf *DID* consider Austria "a very wonderful place in Germany."
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

As long as you brought up Austria ....

This map shows a neighborhood in Vienna, Austria, where many of the key political characters of the last century happened to live, work, and/or hang out.  All of them were there in 1913, and many crossed paths in one way or another.  This discussion at reddit tells us more.

1) Stalin was in Vienna for a month or so.
2) Tito worked in a factory.
3) Trotsky lived there 1907-1914.
4) Hitler 1908-1913.
5) Freud 1860-1938.

Further confirmation is found in the history of Café Central, a popular meeting place for young intellectuals, including several from the map.  While Vienna has long been a cultural Mecca, you have to wonder if there was anything odd added to the water supply in 1913....

And I remember reading some place or another that Billy Wilder was quoted as saying
The Austrians are brilliant people.  They made the world believe that Hitler was a German and Beethoven was Austrian.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

wesw wrote:Canadians are rising as well.
Yes, for example, these Canadians in Québec have taken to the streets to protest the Trumpanzee-lite xenophobia that has infected La Belle Province:
Montrealers take to the streets to protest Quebec's proposed religious symbols ban

Thousands of protesters gathered in downtown Montreal on Sunday afternoon to protest the Quebec government's Bill 21 — proposed legislation that would ban some public employees from wearing symbols of their faith.

"Quebec is not France, long live the difference!" protesters chanted in French while clapping their hands and cheering.

Protesters gathered next to the Berri-UQAM Metro station before marching down René-Lévesque Boulevard.

Sunday's protest is the latest of several events organized since the bill was tabled in late March.

Many community and political groups have voiced opposition to the bill, saying it will reduce religious freedoms in the province.

The government has not released a comprehensive list of all religious symbols that will be covered under the law, but it will include kippahs, turbans, kirpans, headscarves and hijabs. (noticeably absent - crosses and crucifixes)

Suburban municipalities in the Montreal area are speaking out against the François Legault government's bill designed to enforce religious neutrality of the state.

Quebec City mosque shooting survivor Saïd El-Amari said Sunday that he fears the ongoing debate over secularism in the province will only fuel anti-Muslim sentiment.

"I am here to protest Bill 21 — a law that is racist and Islamophobic," he said.

The text of Bill 21 states that Quebec "attaches importance to the equality of women and men" — an apparent reference to the concern expressed by some people that the hijab, the headscarf worn by some Muslim women, and the niqab, a Muslim veil, are symbols of female inferiority.

"We need to fight for the rights of women to choose," said El-Amari. "We're in a free and democratic country and everyone must have the right to wear what they want."

He said it's not for the government to force a Muslim woman to wear or remove a garment.

Montrealer Gabriel Engson was at the protest, waving a Montreal flag attached to a hockey stick.

He says Bill 21 goes against Quebecers' "fundamental rights," and targets minority groups.

"The issue is urban versus rural," he said. "Who voted for the [Coalition Avenir Québec]? People that live in rural areas. People in urban areas are OK with diversity."

Nemia Roque, who brought her daughters, aged eight and 11, to the protest, said she fears the bill could force her children to remove their headscarves if they ever worked in the public sector.

Everyone has freedom of religion, she said, and every person's religion should be respected.

Samira Amoui said she doesn't agree with the proposed bill, even if it wouldn't affect her own career path.

Like Roque, she said wearing a hijab or a kippa is a private choice that does not disrupt the lives of others.

"We have the right to work and choose where we want to work," she said. "We are all the same."

The most contentious section of Bill 21, if made law, would ban public workers in positions of authority from wearing religious symbols.

The bill includes a full list of those who would be affected. They include:
  • Any public employee who carries a weapon, including police officers, courthouse constables, bodyguards, prison guards and wildlife officers.
  • Crown prosecutors, government lawyers and judges.
  • School principals, vice-principals and teachers.
A grandfather clause would exempt some public workers as long as they hold the same job. In the case of teachers, the exemption would only apply for as long as an individual teacher exercised the same function while working for the same school board.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

We are living in interesting times - a blessing and a curse.

More a curse than a blessing, really.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

There were also student protests across the country demanding action on climate change:
Tens of thousands rally in Montreal as part of international 'school strike' against climate change

Tens of thousands of young protesters marched through Montreal on Friday as part of climate change demonstrations taking place around the world.

Marches are also being held in other Canadian cities, including Toronto, Vancouver, St. John's, Charlottetown and Regina, but Montreal's appears to have been the largest.

Greenpeace estimated the crowd to be be at more than 150,000 people.

The co-ordinated "school strikes" being held in more than 100 countries were inspired by 16-year-old Swedish activist Greta Thunberg, who began holding solitary demonstrations outside the Swedish parliament last year.

Since then, the weekly protests have snowballed from a handful of cities to hundreds, driven by social media-savvy students and dramatic headlines about the impacts of climate change.

High school students in Montreal have been holding climate marches every Friday afternoon for several weeks.

Some have been penalized for cutting classes, while others have been encouraged by their schools, teachers and parents to attend.

Before the march got underway, organizers took turns on a loudspeaker set up near the monument at the foot of Mount Royal.

'Just asking for a safe future': Thousands of B.C. students protest political inaction on climate change
"We are declaring an environmental emergency," one said.

"We are more mature than you," said another, echoing Thunberg.

Rose Kahhali, Binetou Sarr, Rebeca Corona Blanco, all 17, and Mathilde Legault, 16, skipped classes at their high school in Laval, Que., to attend the march.

"Classes may be for our future, but we won't have a future to look up to if we don't come to protests like this," said Rose Kahhali.

"It's by making big actions like this, to draw people's attention, that we'll be able to make lasting change," Binetou Sarr said.

One of the march's organizers, 17-year-old CEGEP student Émilie Vandenbegine called for more political action from local governments on climate change.

Vandenbegine said her team had estimated 60,000 people would attend, based on the number of student associations they were in touch with.

"We're very proud because we put this thing together in a really short time. The outcome is really, really positive," said Vandenbegine, as students tapped on makeshift drums.

"Hey, hey, ho, ho, let's change the world. Let's go!" they chanted, and: "Climate change is not a lie; please don't let our planet die."

Université de Montréal law student Anne-Frédérique Perron, 21, held up a sign that made reference to one of the issues Quebec's government has prioritized — making kindergarten available to all four-year-olds in the province.

Perron said the government should put more emphasis on protecting the environment and enacting policies that will seriously restrict greenhouse gas emissions.

"It's ridiculous. We're in 2019, and we have a government for which the environment does not exist," she said. "We can no longer allow ourselves that. This is a matter of survival.

"The idea of having kids has become an anxiety because we wonder, 'Will they be able to die of old age?'"

Friday's march was the first protest Thierry Poulin ever attended. He said he was motivated by the idea that change is enacted through collective action.

"I'm not using straws — but I'm not going to change the world [that way]," Poulin said. "We need to act on some other level, and that's why we're here today."

With five-month-old Constance in her arms, Ève-Lyne Couturier, 37, waited with her stepmother, Barbara Lapierre, 73, for the march to begin on Parc Avenue.

"It's her future we're talking about," Couturier said of her daughter. "Having a child right now is kind of a strange thing because I don't even know if she's going to have an environment that is going to be decent to live in.

"I think it's important for her to be here and to be inspired in a way, and I hope that when she's older, she's going to do the same."

Scientists have warned for decades that current levels of greenhouse gas emissions are unsustainable, so far with little effect.

In 2015, world leaders agreed in Paris to a goal of keeping the Earth's global temperature rise by the end of the century well below 2 degrees Celsius.

Scientists now argue that keeping below 1.5C is a far safer limit for the world.

Yet at present, the world is on track for an increase of 4 degrees Celsius, which experts say would have devastating consequences for life on the planet.

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Protests like these are a sign of a vibrant democracy of freedom-loving people, don't you agree, wes?

-- Author unknown

wesw

Post by wesw »

yellow vest act 22 yesterday..., still all over the news, right?

thru out france.

the cops were more gentle this week.

gilet jaunes acte XXII, if you want real news, just google.....

it is revolution.

will it be crushed without mercy?

that is their option, I think.....

you ll hear about it then.....

joan de arc?

educate yourself and then you can tell me.

I m am not familiar with france, but I see liberty walking.....

guin?

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:what did it say? what's the weather like today?

Is it good news?
I remembered the song too, sir.

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

The ironic thing about this thread, (an irony I'm sure that is lost on wes; grasping irony ain't exactly his strong suit...) is that if similar demonstrations were going on in this country against the regime of his would-be tyrant hero, he'd be yelling "TREASON!" and "SEDITION!" rather than singing their praises...
ImageImageImage

wesw

Post by wesw »

what I find unbelievable is that jim, after the last three years, doesn t realize that if similar protests were going on here...

...they would be in FAVOR of trump.

your mind is closed for some reason.

your hatred makes you stupid?

idk.

you don t seem especially dense.

idk.......