Finally...

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Lord Jim

Finally...

Post by Lord Jim »

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange arrested 'on behalf of the United States'

WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange was arrested by British police on Thursday in the Ecuadorian embassy where he'd been holed up since 2012 after the United States requested his extradition, London police say.

London police confirmed Assange was arrested "on behalf of the United States," which requested Assange's extradition, as well as for breaching British bail conditions.

U.S. prosecutors said they have charged Assange with conspiracy in trying to access a classified U.S. government computer with former U.S. Army intelligence analyst Chelsea Manning in 2010.

In a statement, London police said they arrested Assange after being "invited into the embassy by the Ambassador, following the Ecuadorian government's withdrawal of asylum."
https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/assange-a ... -1.5093405

:ok :clap: :ok :clap: :ok :clap: :ok :clap: :ok :clap: :ok :clap:
ImageImageImage

Big RR

Re: Finally...

Post by Big RR »

Just i time for the election; guess who is getting a pardon in exchange for services to be rendered to the Trump campaign.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

If they really do have evidence that he helped crack a password, that is one thing. I suspect, however, that it is really just about publishing the material, which would clearly be nothing but selective prosecution.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

My view on that from the very beginning has been the exact opposite...

That The Traitor Manning completely lacked the technical expertise to carry out the hacks unassisted, and that therefore it was overwhelmingly likely that Assange and his cohorts (who clearly do have the expertise) had been involved...
guess who is getting a pardon in exchange for services to be rendered to the Trump campaign.
Or he maybe just tell Barr to drop the charges...

I can't imagine Trumpty is happy about this; I'm sure that he'd want to either pardon Assange or at least get the charges dismissed to send a message to other would-be hackers (foreign or domestic) that if they interfere in the 2020 US elections on his behalf, they can expect protection from legal prosecution...
ImageImageImage

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

"I know nothing about WikiLeaks. It's not my thing." — Donald Trump, today
(TRANSLATION: "I don't like co-conspirators who get caught.")
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

2016 Trump: "I love WikiLeaks,” he told listeners during a campaign rally in Wilkes-Barre, Pa., prompting prolonged “Lock her up!” chants from his audience. “It’s amazing how nothing is secret today when you talk about the Internet.”

2019 Trump: "I know nothing about WikiLeaks"

That our President is a little inconsistent in his view may come as news to some of you.

Personally I think of Julian Assange a little bit like Michael Jackson. He was a great singer and dancer (for the purposes of this argument, at any rate) but apparently a turd of a human being. I have no idea what the truth is of the two Swedish 'rapes' but Assange should face his accusers in court. From the best of my recollection the two women accused him separately of sexual transgressions. That balcony at the Ecuadorean Embassy gives him an unfortunate Mussolini aspect which he could perhaps have done more to avoid. I value at least the original Wikileaks which showed the orchestrated journalist killings in Iraq. I don't know if it's true that sensitive intelligence sources such as native Afghans and Iraqis were really endangered - I suspect that there is at least an element of self serving by US intelligence who were embarrassed by some of the revelations.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

He has always been about promoting his agenda first. Any objective truth always came second, if at all.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Econoline wrote:"I know nothing about WikiLeaks. It's not my thing." — Donald Trump, today
(TRANSLATION: "I don't like co-conspirators who get caught.")
Drumpf looked like the personification of waffling on the news this evening. "I know nothing, NOTHING..."
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Rumor has it that the British accidentally arrested David Letterman....

rubato

Post by rubato »

Assange is a nasty little toad of a person and deserves what he has coming.

however.

When any person or government believes that they can do something and hide it for ever it leads to evil every time. So in some respects he has done a service but his support for Putin and US Republicans places him outside the bounds of possible redemption.

yrs,
rubato

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

The last paragraph in an Atlantic piece about Assange, from an old comrade:
Assange might be an asshole. Scratch that; Assange is an asshole. But we’re going to have to stand up for him anyway.
Assange should be extradited to Sweden to face the sexual assault charges, which I understand can be at least partially resurrected.

RayThom

Finally...

Post by RayThom »

Seth Meyer on Trump's endorsements/denials for WikiLeaks... skip to 4:10

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.”