2020 Presidential Candidates: Joe Biden

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I figure the clear front runner deserves his own thread...

As I've said before, in normal (ie non-Trump) times Joe Biden would be way to liberal for me to consider voting for...

But assuming (God forbid) that Donald Trump is the Republican nominee, Biden is my number one pick for the Democratic nomination, and I would definitely vote for him...

There are other Democrats running who I would vote for over Trump, (and the further Il Boobce goes in his full court press to thwart the Constitution and the rule of law the lower my standards will fall and the longer that list will grow) but Biden has emerged as far and away my number one choice...

I was frankly holding my breath when Biden announced, because (given a lot of what was going on in the media during the run-up to his announcement) I was deeply concerned that his would become The Incredible Shrinking Candidacy as he sunk into the pointless quick sand of endless rounds of "apologies"...

But I have to give Joe credit, he has avoided that, and he has been rewarded by seeing his candidacy grow ever stronger...(In poll after poll both nationally and on a state basis for the early primaries, since he announced his lead over Sanders has grown to 2-1, and he's 3 or 4 to one over any of the next nearest competitors)

I thought his announcement video was almost pitch perfect, really laying out the stakes well, and since then he has done a superb job of sticking to and articulating his macro-themed candidacy...(and he's also shown he can raise boatloads of cash)

The argument that Biden just isn't leftie enough to win the nomination given where the center of the Democratic Party is today, (an argument advanced most frequently by lefties who would prefer to see a nominee more leftie than Biden) is being proven false over and over again by the poll numbers...

Biden's base of support for the nomination is that clear majority of Democratic voters that in poll after poll say that they place defeating Donald Trump as their number one priority...above any ideological or specific policy consideration...

A lot is made of Biden's appeal to working class white voters, but he's also polling exceedingly well (despite all the attacks on him over things like his support for The Crime Bill in the 90s, and his handling of the Anita Hill hearings...attacks being made for the most part by Kamikaze Lefties, ideological purists who aren't part of that broad majority of Democrats who place defeating Trump above embracing a hard-left agenda) among the minority voters who are of critical importance both for securing the Democratic nomination and winning the general election:
47 percent of black women say they'd back Biden: poll

Nearly half of black women say they would support former Vice President Joe Biden in the Democratic presidential primary, according to a new Morning Consult poll.

Forty-seven percent of black women surveyed for the poll said Biden is their top choice to be the Democratic nominee, giving him a wide lead in the demographic over his rivals.

Another 18 percent of the black women polled said Sen. Bernie Sanders (I-Vt.) is their top choice, and 9 percent said they back Sen. Kamala Harris (D-Calif.).

Biden also has the most support among white women, with 36 percent of white women naming him as their top choice, the poll found.

The poll's results are based on surveys with a sample of 15,475 registered voters who indicated they may participate in their state's Democratic primary or caucus. The surveys were conducted from April 22-28 and the poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 1 percentage point.

Another poll released Tuesday showed Biden with the lead among nonwhite voters in the Democratic presidential primary race.

The CNN/SRSS survey showed Biden with the support of 50 percent of nonwhite voters, giving him a commanding lead over his Democratic rivals in the key demographic.
https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4 ... biden-poll

(Of course if they ever do a poll of left-wing college professors, professional activists and leftie cable news pundits, I expect he'll do rather poorly...)

Add to all of this that Biden seems to have put together far and away the best organization he has ever had for a Presidential run, and he comes out looking very well positioned to get the nomination...

The conventional wisdom that Biden might be the strongest candidate to beat Trump, but that he isn't "Liberal Enough" to get the nomination is (happily, from my point of view) proving based on the numbers to be false...

And of course when it does come to the general election, Biden clearly is the best positioned to defeat Trump...

Other candidates may be able to do this, but he is the one candidate we know for a fact can keep the bulk of those Independent and disgruntled Republican voters that gave the Democrats control of the House, while simultaneously appealing to those core Democratic party constituencies that are also essential for a Democratic Presidential victory...

And with the stakes this high, even if I were a Democrat who was more "progressive" then Biden, and someone who in an ideal world would prefer a candidate who was more "new and exciting" I'd still want to go with the person I know can rid us of Donald Trump over one I think might be able to do it...

Last edited by Lord Jim on Sat May 11, 2019 7:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Scooter

Re: 2020 Presidential Candidates: Joe Biden

Post by Scooter »

All very sound reasoning. And let's be real, you'd have to go pretty far back to find a time when the Dems actually ended up nominating a "lefty" candidate; for decades their chosen candidate has always been pretty centrist.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Here's a slogan: BIDEN - his time!
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I'm not for Biden for several reasons. One is that I think he's unelectable. He's four years older than Trump and seven years older than me. (He would have four living ex-presidents, three of who completed two full terms, younger than he is.) I actually think that he's a young 76 but why give the other side something to attack him on? After all one of 'our' arguments against Trump, that must have been worth at least a few votes, was that the guy is just too old and losing it (if he ever had It in the first place). The other side will drag up the recycling of Neil Kinnock's speeches from 1988. And if there is one lesson from the Trump election and the way in which B Sanders came from nowhere to almost pip Clinton for the nomination, it's that many voters want something more than 'different face, same story' of the machine politicians. You could say that Obama was another manifestation of that desperation for change.

Were I a voter I'd vote for Biden. But I'm not convinced that he has enough of the newness factor about him to actually win.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:You could say that Obama was another manifestation of that desperation for change.
Correct, xKA.  Obama was a manifestation of the hope for that change.  It even said so in big bold letters on his campaign posters...
... and for a short time, it worked.
Then came the wrecking crew, a/k/a the Republicans and Donald Trump.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:You could say that Obama was another manifestation of that desperation for change.
That’s an understatement if there ever was one; Obama’s newness and difference was at the very root of his appeal in 2008 - those of us supporting him expected big change under his leadership, but obviously vastly underestimated the hateful racist backlash and the willingness of Republicans to engage in wholesale obstruction to the detriment of their own constituencies.

Remember this hopey-changey anthem? :cry:

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I saw a leftie pundit over the weekend speaking dismissively of Biden's lead in Iowa and New Hampshire based on the overwhelmingly white demographics in those states...

I hope she gets a chance to look at Biden's latest poll results in the third nominating contest on the schedule, South Carolina...

In South Carolina, 55% of the Democratic electorate is African American, and Biden's lead is even larger than it is in Iowa or New Hampshire:
Biden Pulling Away in South Carolina With 46%, State Poll Shows

Just weeks after announcing his presidential run, former Vice President Joe Biden led the Democratic pack in the key South Carolina race, attracting support from 46% of likely party primary voters in a state poll released Sunday.

Biden had more than triple the support of his nearest rival, Vermont Senator Bernie Sanders, who attracted 15% of those surveyed, according to Charleston’s Post and Courier newspaper, which conducted the poll with Change Research.

Almost 90% of respondents said Biden has the best shot to unseat President Donald Trump, the newspaper reported, highlighting an emphasis on beating Trump that has vaulted Biden to the front of his party’s field of more than 20 presidential candidates. Trump has particularly attacked Biden on Twitter and in his public comments.

The state’s Democratic primary could play an increased role in winnowing the party’s large 2020 field because there may not be a clear front-runner after the Iowa, New Hampshire and Nevada nominating contests that precede South Carolina’s race in February. The large proportion of black voters in the Palmetto State’s Democratic electorate also make it a important test of a candidate’s appeal to a key bloc for the party.

Biden led among black voters in the poll, the Post and Courier said. During his first campaign appearance in the state earlier in May, he emphasized threats to voting rights and his relationship with President Barack Obama as he attempted to court black voters.

Biden, who announced his candidacy April 25, was seen in the poll as the “toughest and most likable candidate with the highest name recognition and the largest favorability,” the newspaper said. It also noted his record for moderation in a state where Democrats lean conservative.

After Biden and Sanders, who represents a more progressive wing of the party and was the choice of voters under age 34 in the poll, California Senator Kamala Harris had support from 10%. South Bend, Indiana, Mayor Pete Buttigieg and Massachusetts Senator Elizabeth Warren tied at 8%.

The poll, which was conducted from May 6-9, got online responses from 595 of the state’s likely Democratic primary voters. It has a margin of error of plus or minus 4 percentage points.
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles ... poll-shows
ImageImageImage

rubato

Post by rubato »

it is a little early for me to be picking horses. I'm just glad to see a strong field with a lot of intelligent and articulate candidates. My only real negative is Sanders who ought to be ashamed to try to manipulate a party he does not support just to burnish his ego.

yrs,
rubato

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

It feels so weird when I agree with rubato
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

It's his supporters that I have more of a problem with. The comments on social media where they incessantly tear down every other candidate show that they are prepared to repeat their folly of 2016, where they see their preferred candidate as the only choice and are prepared to withhold their vote (or, indeed, vote for Trump) if anyone else gets the nomination. It's like a cult. I don't see supporters of any other candidate doing that.

-- Author unknown

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Those may well be the Russian trolls repeating thier formulfrom 2016.

rubato

Post by rubato »

Crackpot wrote:It feels so weird when I agree with rubato

I don't apologize for my beliefs, I don't have to. Wuss.

yrs,
rubato

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Ahh there’s the unrepentant asshole we all know and endure.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

rubato wrote:
Crackpot wrote:It feels so weird when I agree with rubato
I don't apologize for my beliefs, I don't have to. Wuss.

yrs,
rubato
You had an opportunity to be gracious there, and no reason to be nasty, and look what route you chose.

And then you wonder why no one would piss on you if you were on fire.

-- Author unknown

rubato

Post by rubato »

He had an opportunity to be gracious and chose to be an ass instead. i merely pointed out his dickishness.

As did you. You are both cowards. Suckups to the claque.

yrs,
rubato

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Oh yeah, that's definitely me, sucking up to others here. I am famous for it.

How soon you forget how many times I have called others to task when I believed they were in the wrong when interacting with you. I call 'em as I see 'em, as I did in this case, and will continue to do so regardless of your transparent attempt to trigger the same perpetual animosity that you have caused others to harbour toward you.

-- Author unknown

dales

Post by dales »

Note my sig line...……. :lol:

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

And despite constant sniping from leftie cable news pundits, the Biden Beat goes on...

He may not have Charles Blow's support, but he seems to be doing just fine with the average Joe and Jane Blow:
Fox News Poll: Biden up by double digits in Democratic race

Former Vice President Joe Biden leads the race for the 2020 Democratic nomination for president, according to the latest Fox News Poll.

Among Democratic primary voters, Biden’s 35 percent (up from 31 percent in March) leaves Bernie Sanders in a distant second place with 17 percent (down from 23 percent).

Elizabeth Warren is next at 9 percent, Pete Buttigieg receives 6 percent, followed by Kamala Harris at 5 percent, Beto O’Rourke at 4 percent, Cory Booker at 3 percent, and Julian Castro and Amy Klobuchar at 2 percent apiece. John Delaney, Tulsi Gabbard, Jay Inslee, Tim Ryan, Marianne Williamson, and Andrew Yang each garner one percent.

Since March, Warren and Buttigieg gained five percentage points and Biden is up four, while Sanders dropped six points, O’Rourke four and Harris three.

About half of Democratic primary voters (49 percent) are paying “a lot” of attention to the candidates, and Biden performs even better in the ballot test among this tuned-in group: 41 percent back him, 17 percent Sanders, 10 percent Warren, and 7 percent Buttigieg.

The highest priority of Democratic primary voters is defeating Donald Trump, as 73 percent feel that is “extremely” important. Next, 71 percent say it’s extremely important their nominee has high ethical standards. Roughly half want a candidate who shares their views on major issues (51 percent), has new ideas (47 percent), and has a record of accomplishments as a political leader (47 percent). Fewer prioritize someone who is likeable (39 percent), will shake up Washington (38 percent), and represents a new generation (37 percent).

For each trait, Biden leads among those primary voters who say it is extremely important.

Biden also performs best in hypothetical 2020 matchups. Among all registered voters, he leads Trump by 11 points (49-38 percent), up from a 7-point advantage in March. Biden’s is the only lead outside the margin of sampling error in the matchups tested -- and he is the only Democrat to push Trump’s support below 41 percent.

Sanders tops Trump by 5 points (46-41 percent) and Warren is up by two (43-41 percent), while Harris ties Trump (41-41 percent) and Buttigieg trails him by one (40-41 percent).
More:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/fox-ne ... ratic-race

And these national numbers are also reflected in polling in critical-to-win states:
Poll: Biden leads Trump by double digits in Pennsylvania

A new poll shows former Vice President Joe Biden has opened up a big lead over President Trump in Pennsylvania, a Rust Belt battleground state that will play a pivotal role in determining the outcome of the 2020 election.

A state-level survey by Quinnipiac University finds Biden at 53 percent and Trump at 42 percent in a head-to-head match-up in Pennsylvania.

Trump has a narrow 4 point advantage among male respondents, but Biden holds a 24 point lead among women -- 60 percent to 36 percent. Among white voters, Biden leads 49 percent to 45 percent, but he leads among nonwhite voters by a whopping 70 percent to 27 percent.

Trump and Biden pulled at least 90 percent support from within their own parties, while the former vice president held a 14 point advantage among independents, leading 51 percent to 37 percent.

“More than half of Pennsylvania voters say they are better off financially than they were in 2016,” said Mary Snow, the polling analyst for Quinnipiac University. “But the economy isn’t giving President Donald Trump an edge in an early read of the very key Keystone State.”

Trump edged out Democratic nominee Hillary Clinton in Pennsylvania by less than 1 point in 2016, making him the first GOP presidential nominee to carry the state since 1988.
More:

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/4 ... nnsylvania
ImageImageImage

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Poll shows Biden beating Trump in Texas

A new poll out Wednesday spells danger for President Donald Trump’s reelection chances in one of the unlikeliest of places: Texas.

The Quinnipiac University poll shows that Joe Biden would top Trump by four points — 48 percent to 44 percent — in a general election matchup there, an outcome the ruby red state hasn’t seen in four decades.
More:

https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/ ... ll-1355285
ImageImageImage

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

I still feel strongly that the Dem ticket will come down to Biden/Warren -- and if they win -- Biden will "abdicate" in 2024 leaving Warren with a shot at being our first woman president.

Buttigieg is my favorite candidate, but with Biden now in the running, I feel I must go with the one who will run strongest against Lord Dampnut, and be the most electable. (ie. most centrist)

Buttigieg will make an excellent cabinet member which will season him well as a presidential candidate after Warren.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.”