More Gratuitous Immigration Cruelty...

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: More Gratuitous Immigration Cruelty...

Post by Bicycle Bill »

From the Encyclopædia Britannica:
Concentration camp,
internment centre for political prisoners and members of national or minority groups who are confined for reasons of state security, exploitation, or punishment, usually by executive decree or military order.  Persons are placed in such camps often on the basis of identification with a particular ethnic or political group rather than as individuals and without benefit either of indictment or fair trial.  Concentration camps are to be distinguished from prisons interning persons lawfully convicted of civil crimes and from prisoner-of-war camps in which captured military personnel are held under the laws of war.  They are also to be distinguished from refugee camps or detention and relocation centres for the temporary accommodation of large numbers of displaced persons.
If the s⃥h⃥o⃥e⃥ definition fits ...
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

The photo of the dead bodies are captioned with the following:
EDS NOTE: GRAPHIC CONTENT - The bodies of Salvadoran migrant Oscar Alberto Martínez Ramírez and his nearly 2-year-old daughter Valeria lie on the bank of the Rio Grande in Matamoros, Mexico, Monday, June 24, 2019, after they drowned trying to cross the river to Brownsville, Texas. Martinez' wife, Tania told Mexican authorities she watched her husband and child disappear in the strong current. (AP Photo/Julia Le Duc) ORG XMIT: MEX301 (Photo: Julia Le Duc, AP)
I'm curious, do you know if this is a true before and after rendering, or of four different people just to evoke a sympathetic response?

Very sad, regardless.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I don't normally have any problem about negative comments on Trump; but I don't like the way that cartoon uses those two dead El Salvadoreans to make its point. Trump's policies may well have had a hand in their fate; but there were deaths in that river well before Trump and there will be long after him.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

It’s true that many people have died trying to cross the Rio Grande, but this family’s reason for crossing is directly linked to the refugee/asylum-seekers crisis at the border. The cartoon reflects Trump’s general lack of concern in the face of this family’s tragedy, and all the kids who have died in custody over the past several months plus the reports of truly appalling conditions at ultra expensive detention facilities housing children.

We have internment camps full of children. In 2019. In America.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

And now for an opposing viewpoint.  Yes, there's a crisis at the border.  And it's the fault of Obama (who else?) and Congress, not Trump.
At least that's according to the opinion of one man, Nick Lowry, writing in the National Review.
A viral video of a Justice Department lawyer arguing before a panel of judges last week that kids don’t need toothbrushes and soap to meet the standard for “safe and sanitary” detention under the so-called Flores settlement has caused outrage.  But few have stopped to note that the underlying case had to do with a district court finding that the Obama administration in 2015 was in material breach of the Flores standard (or that the DOJ lawyer was offering a technical legal argument — not a defense of mistreating kids).

All that said, once these migrants are under our care, it is our responsibility to make sure they are treated as humanely as possible.  The border needs more resources.  The Trump administration has been asking Congress to pass a funding package, and it should do so forthwith.  To address the root cause of the crisis, it should also change the bizarre asylum rules that have forced us to release family units from Central America into the country, creating an incentive for more to come.

As long as that’s the case, we aren’t going to be able to control the border or process people coming across it in an orderly fashion.  What we’re seeing is what a border crisis looks like.  If we don’t like it — and we shouldn’t — it’s time for Congress to act to begin to bring it to an end.
Just thought I'd mention here that the only funding package for the border that I've heard Trump calling for had to do with money to build a wall or send more military to act as border guards, not provide humane care for the refugees and immigrants, so it goes without saying that I think this guy is full of shit.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

There are Senate and House versions of a bill that are close enough to presume that they can agree on something. Trump has already said he doesn't like either one.

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:I don't normally have any problem about negative comments on Trump; but I don't like the way that cartoon uses those two dead El Salvadoreans to make its point. Trump's policies may well have had a hand in their fate; but there were deaths in that river well before Trump and there will be long after him.
I see your point Andy, but I think the point of the cartoon was not that Trump caused the deaths, but that he just doesn't give a damn about them as they distract him from the silly and trivial thing he chooses to do. IMHO Trump sees the light of the immigrants as just a distraction from the things he lokes to do as president, like going to Buckingham Palace or having meaningless meetings with world leaders. the man is a complete narcissist and he cannot even comprehend that other people feel pain--they'r ejust distractions from the big reality TV show this presidency has become.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Scooter wrote:There are Senate and House versions of a bill that are close enough to presume that they can agree on something. Trump has already said he doesn't like either one.
Probably because neither bill contains money for guard towers with machine gun nests, or land mines to bury along the border...
ImageImageImage

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Lord Jim wrote:
Scooter wrote:There are Senate and House versions of a bill that are close enough to presume that they can agree on something. Trump has already said he doesn't like either one.
Probably because neither bill contains money for guard towers with machine gun nests, or land mines to bury along the border...
I think we should ship him to North Korea and he can be co-President for life with his buddy.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:I don't normally have any problem about negative comments on Trump; but I don't like the way that cartoon uses those two dead El Salvadoreans to make its point. Trump's policies may well have had a hand in their fate; but there were deaths in that river well before Trump and there will be long after him.
'
It's OK Andy, the cartoonist got fired.
https://www.marketwatch.com/story/canad ... et_4256634

Frankly I thought it was a good cartoon, and was planning to post it here myself until I read down through this thread and saw that Scooter had already done it.

Thanks Scooter.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Trump Defended Conditions Inside Border Facilities And Said Immigrants Are "Living Far Better" Than At Home

"If Illegal Immigrants are unhappy with the conditions in the quickly built or refitted detentions centers, just tell them not to come. All problems solved!"

Following weeks of reports of the "dangerous" and "horrifying" conditions inside border detention facilities, President Donald Trump on Wednesday tweeted that many of the immigrants held in overcrowded facilities "are living far better now than where they came from, and in far safer conditions."

"Our Border Patrol people are not hospital workers, doctors or nurses," Trump said in a series of tweets blaming Democrats for the conditions. "Many of these illegals aliens are living far better now than where they came from, and in far safer conditions."

The president added that if immigrants don’t like the conditions inside the border facilities, they should not come to the US.

"Now, if you really want to fix the Crisis at the Southern Border, both humanitarian and otherwise, tell migrants not to come into our country unless they are willing to do so legally, and hopefully through a system based on Merit," he tweeted. "This way we have no problems at all!"
https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ad ... conditions

Well there you have it folks...

Iron-clad proof (if any more were needed) from Il Boobce's own lips that the cruel, inhumane, un-American conditions in the detention camps are not a byproduct of a policy incompetently implemented, but are in fact the deliberate goal of the policy...

This regime is deliberately using child abuse as a tool to deter future illegal immigration...

And the POS-In-Chief derives another benefit...

The same shameful images showing what our government is engaging at the these camps that anger, disgust, and sadden all decent Americans, actually warm the Grinch-sized hearts of the white nationalists in Trump's base...

They consider these people (including the children) sub-humans, who deserve to be treated worse than dogs in a kennel. (the more of them who die the better; fewer "mud people" to take up space that should belong to white people) they aren't just callously indifferent to the suffering being inflicted; they derive sadistic delight from it...

This is the type of immoral racist scum that Trump seeks approval from...
ImageImageImage

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Dumb'old Trump wrote:"...tell migrants not to come into our country unless they are willing to do so legally, and hopefully through a system based on Merit," he [Trump] tweeted.
Uhhh... on what merit was Melania admitted?  She was female, she had tits, and the fact that she would show them to literally anyone?

And don't say it's because she was a fashion model.  There's enough home-grown wanna-be models walking around out there we don't need to import any from a former Soviet republic.
-"BB"-

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Political cartooning from a different POV:

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

God @The Tweet of God