Good News For Doug Jones...

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Lord Jim

Good News For Doug Jones...

Post by Lord Jim »

Roy Moore will run for Senate again

Roy Moore, the controversial Republican judge who lost a 2017 Senate race in deep-red Alabama amid allegations of sexual misconduct with young girls decades ago, is defying GOP opposition and running again in 2020, he announced Thursday.

"I will run for the United States Senate in 2020," Moore said this afternoon at an event in Montgomery, Ala. "Can I win? Yes, I can win. Not only can I, but they know I can. That’s why there’s such opposition."

Republicans fear Moore's candidacy could be a major roadblock in the GOP’s path to retaking a critical Senate seat. Figures at every level of the party, including President Donald Trump, had urged Moore to forgo another run, fearing that he would be the only candidate who would lose to Democratic Sen. Doug Jones.
https://www.politico.com/story/2019/06/ ... in-1374056

Of course there's no guarantee that he'll win the nomination...

So the Democratic Senatorial Campaign Committee‎ may want to cut Roy a big check....
ImageImageImage

BoSoxGal

Re: Good News For Doug Jones...

Post by BoSoxGal »

Is Doug Jones up again in 2020? I guess I forgot it was a limited term he just ran to fill.

I think it only helps Democrats to have Roy Moore on the ballot in 2020. His candidacy and the garbage it brings to the table is sure to motivate Democrat voters even on a national level - and didn’t Trump endorse him before? That’s something not to let him forget! :lol:

I think I might send Roy Moore $10 for his nomination campaign. :mrgreen:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

BoSoxGal wrote:
I think I might send Roy Moore $10 for his nomination campaign. :mrgreen:
I well understand the point and the thought and I agree: anything to help the Dem win the senate seat sounds good to me.

But it does raise a question in my mind. Foreigners cannot contribute to the presidential race as we all know and that makes some sort of sense. Is there any similar stricture on a non-Alabamian like yourself (my assumption which could, of course, be wrong) contributing to an senate race there? I think the answer is no, it's OK - so then my question would be, why is that? Could I, as a foreigner (green card) contribute if I wanted to?

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Is there any similar stricture on a non-Alabamian like yourself (my assumption which could, of course, be wrong) contributing to an senate race there?
No EKA, there are no such restrictions. Candidates usually raise money from contributors outside of their state (or district) there's no legal problem with that at all.
ImageImageImage

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’m an American citizen and SCOTUS has determined that money is speech. I may not be able to vote for candidates out of my district, but just like the Koch brothers, et al, I’m allowed to finance them to the extent I can within FEC limits.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan