Shithole Congressional District...

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Trump slams Cummings as a 'brutal bully,' claims Baltimore district 'far worse' than southern border

President Trump slammed House Oversight Committee Chairman Elijah Cummings (D-Md.) on Twitter early Saturday as a “brutal bully,” claiming the longtime congressman's Baltimore district is “FAR WORSE” and "more dangerous" than the southern border.

“Rep, Elijah Cummings has been a brutal bully, shouting and screaming at the great men & women of Border Patrol about conditions at the Southern Border, when actually his Baltimore district is FAR WORSE and more dangerous,” Trump tweeted.

“His district is considered the Worst in the USA [Source, Mr. Putzident?] as proven last week during a Congressional tour, the Border is clean, efficient & well run, just very crowded,” Trump continued. “Cumming District is a disgusting, rat and rodent infested mess. If he spent more time in Baltimore, maybe he could help clean up this very dangerous & filthy place.”

Trump asserted that Cummings’s district, which encompasses downtown Baltimore, was the "worst run" in the U.S., claiming that the Maryland city was "corrupt" and that "no human being would want to live there."

“Why is so much money sent to the Elijah Cummings district when it is considered the worst run and most dangerous anywhere in the United States,” Trump continued in the early morning tweetstorm. “No human being would want to live there. Where is all this money going? How much is stolen? Investigate this corrupt mess immediately!”

Cummings’s district is 55 percent African American and 35 percent white. It is the second-most wealthy and educated among Maryland's majority-black districts.

Cummings later responded to the early morning broadside as a number of his Democratic colleagues rushed to his defense.

"Mr. President, I go home to my district daily. Each morning, I wake up, and I go and fight for my neighbors," he tweeted. "It is my constitutional duty to conduct oversight of the Executive Branch. But, it is my moral duty to fight for my constituents."

Trump’s early morning attack came weeks after Cummings, an outspoken critic of Trump, called the treatment of migrant children at U.S.-run facilities on the southern border “government-sponsored child abuse.”

"We have seen cases where the administration has deported parents without their children and still, to this day, have not reunited those families,” he said. "This is government-sponsored child abuse ... on a grand scale.”

Cummings, who has repeatedly condemned the Trump administration's immigration policies and the federal government's treatment of immigrants at the border, went off on acting Homeland Security Secretary Kevin McAleenan last week over the conditions of U.S.-Mexico border facilities that house migrants.

“You feel like you’re doing a great job, right?” Cummings asked during a hearing. “What does that mean? What does that mean? When a child is sitting in their own feces, can’t take a shower?” he continued, his voice rising. “Come on, man. What’s that about? None of us would have our children in that position. They are human beings.”

The hearing followed a recent report from the Department of Homeland Security’s Office of Inspector General, which found "dangerous overcrowding" and "prolonged detention of children and adults" at several facilities. McAleenan, during the hearing, pushed back on Cummings’s assertions, inviting him to tour a border facility to see firsthand that children are being reunited with their parents and conditions are improving.

The president's remarks early Saturday also came days after the House Oversight and Reform Committee authorized Cummings to subpoena records from the White House in connection with an investigation into aides’ use of personal email and text applications for official business.

“There are serious questions about this White House’s use of personal email and text accounts. We must issue these subpoenas to get our answers,” Cummings said Thursday.

Democrats have accused White House aides of flouting federal records laws, particularly the Presidential Records Act. Cummings pointed to evidence that Trump’s senior adviser and son-in-law, Jared Kushner, has used WhatsApp to conduct official White House business.

Cummings has repeatedly requested records from the White House related to his investigation of Trump officials' email and text use. The White House has refused to comply with myriad document requests from Democrats, arguing they are overstepping their authorities and infringing on executive branch privileges.
https://thehill.com/homenews/administra ... strict-far

There's no arguing about the fact that there are sections of Cumming's district that are badly impoverished, but there are affluent areas as well...

There is also not a doubt in my mind that one could easily find Congressional districts that are represented by Trump supporters with far higher overall levels of poverty and deprivation, (crime, drug use, etc.)

But then those districts aren't represented by a man who chairs a committee that is conducting multiple investigations into the the vast reservoir of governmental criminality, corruption, misconduct, and incompetence conducted by Trump, his family members and his cronies...
ImageImageImage

ex-khobar Andy

Re: Shithole Congressional District...

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I saw the response by Victor Blackwell (CNN - I am not familiar with him - I must watch at the wrong time) who was born and raised in Baltimore.

Do we need any more evidence of the utter turdishness of this president? I for one wouldn't want to live in the faux Louis Quatorze surroundings of his apartment in Trump Tower but he has a perfect right to want to do so.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

That district includes Baltimore City, Baltimore County, and Howard County. It includes the City where I was born (at one of the greatest hospitals in the world and the University of the same name - which is where my father graduated from). That same City is where my grandparents lived, and generations of my family before them. That district also includes the Episcopal church where I was confirmed and my family attended, and my elementary school. It abuts the portion of Baltimore County where we lived and I grew up. Obviously, I know it well. The so-called president knows nothing of the amazing scenery and history, the industry, the science, medicine, and academics, and the incredible residents. He’s pure hatred and ignorance, and a racist piece of shit. Fuck off, trumpanzee.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’ve been trying to avoid news for most of each day on advice of my therapist - I’m struggling mightily with the black dog in recent weeks and have become resistant to traditional medication, so it’s pull out the stops to try to lift my spirits.

I opened the news site I usually visit a couple of hours ago and after reading a number of Trump headlines, all vile, I honestly had a gut reaction of wanting to do a murder-suicide - you can guess the victim.

Motherfucker just needs to have a massive coronary RIGHT FUCKING NOW!

Sorry not sorry that my anger and profound sadness needs to be vented in some fashion and tonight it’s via expletives and fantasies of seeing that scumbag dead. I suppose one good motivation I have for not succumbing to my depression would be so I can be around to see him die and maybe even dump some piss on his grave.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Elijah Cumming's 7th Congressional District. Talk about gerrymandering.

Baltimore's bad neighborhoods are still bad, and the Waterfront is almost always good. As with all metropolitan cities there will be poverty and sporadic violence to contend with regardless of the area. To say Cumming's district is "far worse" than NYC, or Philly, or Chicago, or LA, or DC is the rantings of a no-nothing, shit eating, dick wad.

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

I’m sorry you’re struggling BSG - but remember this - he is a short-timer, aging badly, and even his money and resources won’t save him, in the end. You’ll be around long past him, and we need you to help with the repair work after he’s gone.

And if you can, run out to Whitehorse or the Cape tomorrow, and soak up some vitamin D, fresh air, and a good book. It won’t make it all go away, but it might make you feel a teeny bit better at the end of the day.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I wonder if clouds ever look down at the White House and say,

".... hey, look!  That one is shaped like an idiot!"
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

“Donald Trump has tweeted more than 43,000 times,” Blackwell said. “He’s insulted thousands of people, many different types of people. But when he tweets about infestation, it’s about black and brown people.”
The other type of insult I've noticed Trump seems to reserve for black and brown people are insults related to intelligence; "stupid", "low IQ" etc,...

The only white person I can think of who he has publicly attacked in this particular way is Rex Tillerson, and it's obvious that was just Trump's always clever and predictable "I know you are, but what am I" reaction to reports about Tillerson's (correct) assessments of Trump's own intellectual ability...(I believe the accurate phrase Rex used was, "fucking moron"...)

But insults alleging lack of intelligence are a regular feature for Il Boobce when it comes to attacking people of color; he's done it on numerous occasions...
ImageImageImage

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Here's one way they can improve living conditions in Cummings' district and in Baltimore in general...

Throw the book at the slumlords; I know a good place to start:
Jared Kushner Accused Of Renting Squalid Apartments In The District Donald Trump Called ‘Rodent-Infested Mess’

The tenants in a slew of properties owned by Jared Kushner might agree with Donald Trump’s assessment that the majority-black congressional district is a “rat and rodent-infested mess.”

On Saturday, Trump lobbed a controversial attack on the district represented by longtime Congressman Elijah Cummings. Launching the attack just minutes after a Fox News segment aired that claimed Cummings had a dirty and disgusting district, Trump wrote that the area of Baltimore is in decrepit conditions.

“Cumming District is a disgusting, rat and rodent infested mess. If he spent more time in Baltimore, maybe he could help clean up this very dangerous & filthy place,” Trump wrote as part of a series of tweets that directly mirrored the Fox News segment that had just aired.

While the tweets led to new allegations of racism against Trump for describing one of the nation’s highest-income majority black districts as “dangerous & filthy,” it also brought new attention to some very similar-sounding charges against properties that his own son-in-law owns across the district.

As Pro Publica had reported, Kushner faced charges that he bought up a slew of run-down apartment units across Baltimore County and implemented a series of shady practices that targeted the people living there. The story noted that a private investigator who was looking into Kushner’s property management company, a man who was actually a supporter of Donald Trump, concluded that “they’re nothing but slumlords.”

As the Baltimore Sun reported, tenants living in Kushner’s apartments complained of “poor maintenance, harsh rent collection techniques, and relentless pursuit of old and sometimes dubious debts generated after tenants moved out.” Tenants complained on Yelp of decrepit conditions in some apartments, with construction crews leaving garbage in hallways, leaks that were never repaired, and even rodent infestations that were not addressed. Others warned of predatory renting practices, with schemes aimed at squeezing renters out of fees and evictions without proper notice or protections.

As Newsweek reported, the Kushner family real estate company faced more than 170 code violations in Baltimore for failing to comply with local laws, prompting Baltimore County Executive Kevin Kamenetz to say that local officials may threaten sanctions if the company does not make the needed repairs.

Donald Trump continues to come under fire for his own tweets describing Baltimore as a “filthy place,” with many pointing out that Trump had just days before said that a group of congresswomen of color should leave the United States if they are going to complain about it.
https://www.inquisitr.com/5551688/jared ... sted-mess/
ImageImageImage

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

From the Baltimore Sun last night:
Better to have a few rats than to be one

By BALTIMORE SUN EDITORIAL BOARD
BALTIMORE SUN
JUL 27, 2019 | 6:36 PM

In case anyone missed it, the president of the United States had some choice words to describe Maryland’s 7th congressional district on Saturday morning. Here are the key phrases: “no human being would want to live there,” it is a “very dangerous & filthy place,” “Worst in the USA” and, our personal favorite: It is a “rat and rodent infested mess.” He wasn’t really speaking of the 7th as a whole. He failed to mention Ellicott City, for example, or Baldwin or Monkton or Prettyboy, all of which are contained in the sprawling yet oddly-shaped district that runs from western Howard County to southern Harford County. No, Donald Trump’s wrath was directed at Baltimore and specifically at Rep. Elijah Cummings, the 68-year-old son of a former South Carolina sharecropper who has represented the district in the U.S. House of Representatives since 1996.

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
· Jul 27, 2019
Rep, Elijah Cummings has been a brutal bully, shouting and screaming at the great men & women of Border Patrol about conditions at the Southern Border, when actually his Baltimore district is FAR WORSE and more dangerous. His district is considered the Worst in the USA......

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump
....As proven last week during a Congressional tour, the Border is clean, efficient & well run, just very crowded. Cumming District is a disgusting, rat and rodent infested mess. If he spent more time in Baltimore, maybe he could help clean up this very dangerous & filthy place

7:14 AM - Jul 27, 2019

It’s not hard to see what’s going on here. The congressman has been a thorn in this president’s side, and Mr. Trump sees attacking African American members of Congress as good politics, as it both warms the cockles of the white supremacists who love him and causes so many of the thoughtful people who don’t to scream. President Trump bad-mouthed Baltimore in order to make a point that the border camps are “clean, efficient & well run," which, of course, they are not — unless you are fine with all the overcrowding, squalor, cages and deprivation to be found in what the Department of Homeland Security’s own inspector-general recently called “a ticking time bomb."

In pointing to the 7th, the president wasn’t hoping his supporters would recognize landmarks like Johns Hopkins Hospital, perhaps the nation’s leading medical center. He wasn’t conjuring images of the U.S. Social Security Administration, where they write the checks that so many retired and disabled Americans depend upon. It wasn’t about the beauty of the Inner Harbor or the proud history of Fort McHenry. And it surely wasn’t about the economic standing of a district where the median income is actually above the national average. No, he was returning to an old standby of attacking an African American lawmaker from a majority black district on the most emotional and bigoted of arguments. It was only surprising that there wasn’t room for a few classic phrases like “you people” or “welfare queens” or “crime-ridden ghettos” or a suggestion that the congressman “go back” to where he came from.

This is a president who will happily debase himself at the slightest provocation. And given Mr. Cummings’ criticisms of U.S. border policy, the various investigations he has launched as chairman of the House Oversight Committee, his willingness to call Mr. Trump a racist for his recent attacks on the freshmen congresswomen, and the fact that “Fox & Friends” had recently aired a segment critical of the city, slamming Baltimore must have been irresistible in a Pavlovian way. Fox News rang the bell, the president salivated and his thumbs moved across his cell phone into action.

As heartening as it has been to witness public figures rise to Charm City’s defense on Saturday, from native daughter House Speaker Nancy Pelosi to Mayor Bernard C. “Jack” Young, we would above all remind Mr. Trump that the 7th District, Baltimore included, is part of the United States that he is supposedly governing. The White House has far more power to affect change in this city, for good or ill, than any single member of Congress including Mr. Cummings. If there are problems here, rodents included, they are as much his responsibility as anyone’s, perhaps more because he holds the most powerful office in the land.

Finally, while we would not sink to name-calling in the Trumpian manner — or ruefully point out that he failed to spell the congressman’s name correctly (it’s Cummings, not Cumming) — we would tell the most dishonest man to ever occupy the Oval Office, the mocker of war heroes, the gleeful grabber of women’s private parts, the serial bankrupter of businesses, the useful idiot of Vladimir Putin and the guy who insisted there are “good people” among murderous neo-Nazis that he’s still not fooling most Americans into believing he’s even slightly competent in his current post. Or that he possesses a scintilla of integrity. Better to have some vermin living in your neighborhood than to be one.

Just for that, I signed up for a digital subscription. Go get ‘em Baltimore!

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Trump sees attacking African American members of Congress as good politics, as it both warms the cockles of the white supremacists who love him and causes so many of the thoughtful people who don’t to scream.

the most dishonest man to ever occupy the Oval Office, the mocker of war heroes, the gleeful grabber of women’s private parts, the serial bankrupter of businesses, the useful idiot of Vladimir Putin and the guy who insisted there are “good people” among murderous neo-Nazis that he’s still not fooling most Americans into believing he’s even slightly competent in his current post. Or that he possesses a scintilla of integrity.
ImageImageImage

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

That editorial should be reprinted by every newspaper in the country.

ETA: I've written to NYT (to which I subscribe) and my local rag.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Of course with only 8158 lies it's clearly a year or two out of date. I think he's going for the record previously held by all the prior presidents put together. He'd be easily over the mark already if it were not for Nixon.

ETA - I see that Shark Week (Discovery Channel) starts tonight. Maybe he'll be distracted for a bit.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:That editorial should be reprinted by every newspaper in the country.

ETA: I've written to NYT (to which I subscribe) and my local rag.
So the Globe (which is truly a crappy paper and only getting worse over time) reported on the Sun’s editorial and called it “strident.” That seems completely wrong footed to me.

liberty

Post by liberty »

I saw it on the news Cummings was being a bully; it appeared to me that he was trying to intimidate the two guys. Maybe he thought it made for good TV.

Demorats could help a lot if they would change the law so that parents and children could be detained together then parents could take care of their own children.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I saw it on the news Cummings was being a bully;
Lib, given the fact that you're the guy who couldn't figure out why anyone would think Donald Trump is a bully, your evaluations on the subject don't really cut a lot of ice...
ImageImageImage

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Lib is automatically intimidated bay any skin tone darker than a manilla folder.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Let’s be clear. Liberty is a disgusting racist just like the trumpanzee, and he can go to hell with him.

liberty

Post by liberty »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Motherfucker just needs to have a massive coronary RIGHT FUCKING NOW!

No, I want him to be assassinated on live TV by a prominent Demorat politician and for his daughter take his place as head of the Republican Party ticket. That might save the future of the country. Look at what Hinkle did for Reagan and Oswald did for Kennedy. Otherwise the liberal demorats will eventually destroy the country. If something is not done the future of the country will be collapse, conquest or some other unseen catastrophe, it can’t end well.

But I think liberal politicians are too smart to do that; they act outraged but they are just hypocrites playing politics.
Last edited by liberty on Sun Jul 28, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

liberty

Post by liberty »

Lord Jim wrote:
I saw it on the news Cummings was being a bully;
Lib, given the fact that you're the guy who couldn't figure out why anyone would think Donald Trump is a bully, your evaluations on the subject don't really cut a lot of ice...
Give me an example of trump being a bully.