I guess it didn't even merit a thread this time...

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Scooter

Post by Scooter »

...because it happens so often, and nothing is ever done to stop it, and we've just all become numb to it.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

ex-khobar Andy

Re: I guess it didn't even merit a thread this time...

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I assume you are talking about the Texas mall shooting.

They are talking about multiple shooters. Not sure about that. But CNN was interviewing some off duty soldier who was legally carrying (it's Texas) who wouldn't pull out his weapon lest the cops assume he is the shooter. I don't blame him; but I guess it puts paid to the whole 'good guy with a gun' thing.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

The Texas AG was just on CNN, was asked what advice he could give to people who are afraid to be out shopping at this time of year when they are needing to get ready for school, etc. His answer (I'm paraphrasing, but this absolutely was the jist): Texas has a concealed carry law that in the past has saved dozens of lives in similar situations.

I wished I believed in a hell where this lowlife could have bundles of red hot pokers shoved up his asshole for all eternity.

-- Author unknown

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Fox News has a story that Antifa had planned some sort of event in El Paso on Sept 1 - still four weeks away. The Texas Lt Governor is telling them to stay away because of the shootings. If this were a serious - please guys, stay away, we're hurting and the cops will have their hands full - sort of plea I'd probably buy it. But it seems more related to the current move to brand Antifa as a terrorist organization, and some BTL commentators on the story are even blaming it on Antifa and claiming that the shooter here was a member. Somehow I doubt it; but I'll wait for the evidence.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

His manifesto was all about not letting any more brown people into the U.S. to prevent Texas from falling into the hands of the Democrats. I'll see if I can find a copy of it, a friend had posted it on Facebook but now I can't remember who it was.

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

eta - it's actually four pages, I only had access to the first one when I first posted it. If anyone has an issue with seeing it here, I will take it down.

Last edited by Scooter on Sun Aug 04, 2019 2:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

-- Author unknown

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Rough translation — "Someone might be able to get something that I didn't or can't get."
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

This tweet did not age well...

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Are those silencers/suppressors on the muzzles of all those pistols, or did he just remove the magazines and lay them there to make the 'letters' larger?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

ImageImage

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

From the NYT story:
The F.B.I. is reviewing evidence to determine whether to move forward with federal charges, said Emmerson Buie, Jr., the special agent in charge of the F.B.I. in El Paso. But he said that the bureau had not determined whether the shooting was a hate crime, an act of domestic terrorism or some other federal crime.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Being a hate crime doesn't preclude it from being domestic terrorism, and vice versa.

-- Author unknown

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

How does one determine the degree of hate, especially when mass murder is the outcome?

Maybe this only qualifies as a detest crime, or a despise crime.

The law is an ass.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Hate crime means that the victims were targeted because of their race, religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or whatever other characteristics are covered by the applicable statute. A more precise term would probably be "bias crime", but the original terminology seems to have stuck. They are not in any way "thought crimes" as some have attempted to characterize them. The evidence, in the form of the manifesto, that this was a hate crime are substantial. And Governor Abbott surprised me today by explicitly characterizing it as such.

-- Author unknown

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

I'm sure the relatives and loved ones of the victims are comforted by the fact that this has been determined to be a 'hate crime' rather than 'domestic terrorism' or 'random violence'.
The only good thing I can see about this is that it happened in Texas — a state that has the death penalty and is not at all reluctant to use it.  And they don't take 25-30 years to get around to it, either.
-"BB"-

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I don't believe that any such determination has been made, nor, as I said previously, why they would be mutually exclusive. Except for the fact that authorities have been reluctant to label white perpetrators of such massacres as terrorists.

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Scooter wrote:ImageImage
Totally fucked up, isn’t it?

They took Dylan Roof thru the Burger King drive in after they picked him up for the Charleston Emanuel AME Church slaughter.

Killing brown people is a public service in the eyes of most cops; selling untaxed cigarettes and exhibiting an attitude to cops? Clearly a capital offense - if you’re black.

Fuck the pigs.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:Totally fucked up, isn’t it?

They took Dylan Roof thru the Burger King drive in after they picked him up for the Charleston Emanuel AME Church slaughter.

Killing brown people is a public service in the eyes of most cops; selling untaxed cigarettes and exhibiting an attitude to cops? Clearly a capital offense - if you’re black.

Fuck the pigs.
If someone were to say, "they're all a bunch of money-grubbing crooks so fuck all the lawyers," you'd be up on your soapbox taking them to task for such a statement ... and you'd be right to do so.  But I guess it's OK to say "all cops are a batch of thugs with badges so fuck the pigs" because ... I'm sorry, tell me why again?

There are certainly bad apples behind badges; it would be a minor miracle if there weren't.  Same with lawyers ... there are some ambulance chasers and contingency fee lawyers out there who are not necessarily a glowing testimonial for the legal profession. In fact, I just got done reading an article about a sub-set of e⃥x⃥t⃥o⃥r⃥t⃥i⃥o⃥n⃥i⃥s⃥t⃥s⃥ — sorry, lawyers — who do nothing but bring class-action suits against food producers because of what they try to claim are 'short-filled' packaging, most of which are settled without going to trial (even thought pretty much every foodstuff sold today, from spices to salted peanuts, is sold by weight, not by how full it looks in the package).

But would I paint all lawyers black because of these particular individuals?  No, and neither do I think that anyone should tar all law enforcement officers with that huge brush you seem to be so willing to wield.
-"BB"-