Palins seeking a divorce

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
TPFKA@W

Re: Palins seeking a divorce

Post by TPFKA@W »

eddieq wrote:Not that it would matter to her, but Jesus never spoke a single word about homosexuality. He did speak about divorce, though (he was agin it).
Actually the only things we know of what Jesus said is what was written down by men after his passing. We have no idea how cherry picked those words were. As an agnostic who supports gay marriage, I don't point this out to throw shade on homosexuality, but to point out the fallibility of Jesus' words in general.

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

TPFKA@W wrote:
eddieq wrote:Not that it would matter to her, but Jesus never spoke a single word about homosexuality. He did speak about divorce, though (he was agin it).
Actually the only things we know of what Jesus said is what was written down by men after his passing. We have no idea how cherry picked those words were. As an agnostic who supports gay marriage, I don't point this out to throw shade on homosexuality, but to point out the fallibility of Jesus' words in general.
Not disagreeing with you on that the biblical record may be incomplete or interpreted. Clearly it was written by people, although as a staunch American Baptist, I believe that it was 'God inspired". In general, though, even the writers of the Gospels seem to agree that Jesus was all about love, all about forgiveness and all against hate. Seems to be a theme there.

I support gay marriage. I was taught to love and I will not fault a person for loving another person. Period. It doesn't diminish my marriage in any way despite what the "christian right" (lower case on purpose here) says.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

As someone reared by Baptists, who must associate with Baptists as an adult, I must say your attitude does not reflect as staunch. Baptists have proven to me to be among the most bigoted folks I ever met, about many things. I openly play my agnostic card and they all pray for me. (Nursing has sucked the faith in any words in red right out of me.) I am happy to know one like you who reflects the good in the faithful.

BTW how is that puppy-wuppy doggie-woggie?

RayThom

Palins seeking a divorce

Post by RayThom »

The gospels and subsequent bibles were ominous tales written to cultivate civilized and uniform behavior in the absence of community enforcement and/or policing -- ie. to maintain the common good.

As civilizations evolved, these collective stories became less a "law and order" book of rules and more a means for and by reputed holy men and so-called spiritual advisors to interpret, with cult-like agendas, to unscrupulously command control of their unwashed masses.

Unfortunately, all this psychological manipulation has become so strongly accepted by society as a whole that it has become nothing but a blurred line. Everybody's right... no one is wrong.

"The path of duty lies in what is nearby, but men look for it in things far off."
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

TPFKA@W wrote:As someone reared by Baptists, who must associate with Baptists as an adult, I must say your attitude does not reflect as staunch. Baptists have proven to me to be among the most bigoted folks I ever met, about many things. I openly play my agnostic card and they all pray for me. (Nursing has sucked the faith in any words in red right out of me.) I am happy to know one like you who reflects the good in the faithful.
Probably "southern baptists" :) I'm an "American Baptist" - the original abolitionists and all. While there are certainly a large share of bigoted and closed minded folks (many in my own congregation), we tend to have some fairly radical views on things such as "love your neighbor" and such. I know that there are ABC congregations that have ordained ministers that are in same sex relationships. I also know many that are on the other end of the spectrum.
TPFKA@W wrote:BTW how is that puppy-wuppy doggie-woggie?
Old :( She turned 12 this year. She's still pretty healthy, but is clearly slowing down. We spoil her rotten and I still take her on a solid 1/2 mile walk in the mornings (unless she just wants to do her business and go back in).

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

We had to send our old girl over the rainbow bridge almost 2 years ago now. She couldn't hardly walk and it was time. We swore no more dogs and have stuck to that so far. I compensate by buying the grand kids too many things. Time is really flying.

RayThom

Palins seeking a divorce

Post by RayThom »

My daughter had her family dog euthanized last month, my brother had his dog put down last week. That Rainbow Bridge is getting crowded.

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.”