It's not a transcript.

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
ex-khobar Andy

It's not a transcript.

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Right on the front page it says:

There is a wonderful example of the 'their/they're' confusion (page 4, near the bottom) which makes me wonder whether Trump himself typed this up. Probably not, because the capitalization of words is pretty conventional. There is no indication whether Mr Zelenskyy spoke in English, but he is (at least according to Wikipedia which is always right) fluent in English.

President Zelenskyy is an ex-comedian and actor. It's curious that he appears to have made his start in politics by being against corruption (aren't we all?) but he takes pains to point out that he stayed in Trump Tower last time he was in NYC.

I hope that Pelosi has more to go on than this 'transcript.' I do think that the refusal of the WH to allow the IG to report to Congress was in itself sufficient for impeachment: but I'm not sure that you are going to get a lot of Republican Senators to go along with that.

RayThom

It's not a transcript.

Post by RayThom »

Wait til Barr gets a hold of this and works his magic. He can fix anything.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Lord Jim

Re: It's not a transcript.

Post by Lord Jim »

I've been bothered by the misleading use of that word "transcript" in the press as well...That really plays into Il Boobce's hands...it conveys an undeserved level of credibility...

There was no recording made, so there was nothing to be "transcribed"....

This is just a summary released by the Trump White House...

And I understand that parts of it was written with a Sharpie.... :?
ImageImageImage

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

There is this gem from Trump (top of page 3)
As you saw yesterday, that whole nonsense ended with a very poor performance by a man named Robert Mueller, an incompetent performance, but they say a lot of it started with Ukraine.
I'd like to hear more about Mueller's incompetence. I thought he had absolved Trump!

MajGenl.Meade

Whistlblower

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

If this winds up being what finally brings Trump down and rids the country of him by forcing him from office, I'm all for it...

All fingers and toes crossed...we shall see...

The big problem the Democrats have had bringing a meaningful Impeachment (though the facts have 100% justified it for a long time, on numerous criminal, corrupt and oath violation grounds) has been the inability to present the public with a coherent and compelling narrative in real time...

Having Michael Cohen testify, and then a couple of months later Bob Mueller, and then a couple of months after that Corey Lewindowski, and maybe a couple of months from now Don McGahn, (with a whole bunch of recesses in between, conveying no sense of urgency) was never gonna cut it in terms of reaching the 60% public support threshold for Impeachment needed to have any chance of shaking loose the necessary number of GOP votes in the Senate to either remove Trump or force his resignation...

The principle reason they've been unable to present the proper sort of narrative has been of course the delay/obstruction tactics of Trump and his henchmen, but the ambivalence of the Speaker about proceeding with Impeachment hasn't helped either...

With this Ukraine scandal, we have a case of very easy to understand, clear cut, gross criminality/misconduct by the President, while he has been President, attempting to affect the future election, to which he has confessed...

(Even the edited summary the White House released is so enormously damning one really has to wonder why they released it...By late yesterday afternoon it seems to have dawned even in Trump's wee small brain how bad it makes him look...)

And even more evidence will be shortly forthcoming...(today at least some version of the whistle blower report is due to be released, and there will be public testimony from both the acting DNI and the Intel IG)

Perhaps the chance has been presented to finally create that needed narrative around this issue...

And for the very first time this issue seems to be creating at least some cracks in the cowardly wall of look-the-other-way Trump support among Republican Senators...(A couple of have made public expressions of concern, and I've seen where "I can't comment because I may have to sit as a juror" is becoming an increasingly more popular line..)

I think the best strategy for the Dems now, to maximize the chances of Trump's well deserved early departure, is to put all the other myriad of Impeachable offenses Trump has committed on the back burner and focus in laser-like on this one hot, real time issue involving Trump's self-admitted shameless effort to use Congressionally approved military aid as leverage to compel a foreign country to dig up (or manufacture) dirt on a potential political opponent in the upcoming election...

That's the best play...
Last edited by Lord Jim on Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImage

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I'm with you JIm. The only things that make me a little queasy about this (apart from President Pence which is a given) are (1) despite the obvious implied quid pro quo, this is so far down the list of Trump's misdeeds that if blind eyes were turned to the rest of them, why pick this one? and (2) the more I read about Hunter Biden (and yes, I know he's not a candidate) the more I think, WTF? I really doubt that his elevation to the board of the Ukrainian gas company was unconnected to his position as his father's son in the same way that I doubt that foreign visitors who wish to curry favor with USG stay at the Washington Trump Hotel purely because it's conveniently located close to the Metro. There are plenty of examples of this going as far back as we like and across as many parties as we like. That it's commonplace doesn't make it right. Nor, for that matter, does H Biden's activity disqualify his father, although it's hard to paint being tossed out of the Army Reserve for cocaine use and going out with your brother's widow as silver linings. J Biden would probably prefer that those things had not happened and no doubt they will be aired in the next few months.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

The House Intel Committee hearing with the DNI is getting full broadcast network coverage... :ok
ImageImageImage

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

The whistleblower complaint has been released. It says that a word-for-word transcript of the call does exist, but was diverted from the normal system for storing such transcripts and was stored in a system reserved for highly sensitive classified information, even though the call contained nothing of the sort. I imagine a subpoena for said transcript will be forthcoming. If it no longer exists, it may turn into this inquiry's version of the 18-1/2 minute gap
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

The edited version is so damning, it makes you wonder just how bad the full version must be... :?

Listening to the hearing, I see Devin Nunes continues to disgrace himself and ignore his oath of office... :roll:

I expect he wont be the only GOP member to do so...
ImageImageImage

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

To be fair, the Democrat who took his turn afterward was acting like an antagonistic ass for no good reason.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I would also say that Mr. Maguire seems like a pretty ethical and honest professional who out of an abundance of caution may have just made a bad judgement call by involving Trump's stooge Bill Barr in the decision making process about transmitting the whistle blower report to the Intel Committee.
ImageImageImage

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I think the Dems need to pull in their horns some on their attacks on this guy...

Maguire is just not coming across like some unscrupulous Trump toady, (he's not being evasive, or combative or snide) and I don't efforts to try to paint him that way are going to go over very effectively...

They should focus on bringing out Trump's words and behavior as sited in the whistleblower report, and nix the antagonistic personal stuff...
ImageImageImage

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I just hope it's not a cunning plan to make Dems look silly.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

RayThom

It's not a transcript.

Post by RayThom »

Lord Jim wrote:I've been bothered by the misleading use of that word "transcript" in the press as well...That really plays into Il Boobce's hands...it conveys an undeserved level of credibility... There was no recording made, so there was nothing to be "transcribed"... This is just a summary released by the Trump White House...
Adam Schiff has been interviewed extensively today since the hearing. He's been making it a point to say 'summary' rather than 'transcript.'
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:I just hope it's not a cunning plan to make Dems look silly.
It takes a cunning plan? [come on, that was too easy 8-) ]

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Too easy indeed; just like saying it would be impossible for Trump to come up with anything that could be called "cunning".

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Rudy in disguise (without glasses)

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I doubt that Rudy has the intellectual capacity - let alone the empathy - frequently displayed by Baldrick.

Mind you Baldrick started his professional life as a dung gatherer. Rudy seems to have ended his professional life in similar fashion so maybe the comparison is valid.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I note that the 'transcript' was created by voice recognition software and then edited.

There is nowadays a technology often called 'taping' which actually does not involve tapes of any kind. The Presidency really ought to look into this.

This can never be posted too often: