Trump is FDR Redux

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
wesw

Trump is FDR Redux

Post by wesw »

Lord Jim

Re: Trump is FDR Redux

Post by Lord Jim »

Nope, sorry wes, if you're looking for a 1930's era American politician to draw an equivalence with to Il Boobce, here's your man:

(Except of course that The Kingfish was far more intelligent than Trump, and a much better dresser...)
ImageImageImage

wesw

Post by wesw »

that FDR speech that linked says what every trump vter thinks....

...hist0ry repeats.

8 mre years!!!!!

:lol:

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

wesw wrote:that FDR speech that linked says what every trump vter thinks....
Not EVERY Trump voter ...or 'vter'
Ohio soybean farmer says he wouldn’t vote for Trump again even if he could ‘walk across my pond’

An Ohio farmer and former Republican Party official told CNBC on Monday that President Donald Trump can’t win his vote back, even if the president went above and beyond what’s humanly possible.

Chris Gibbs, a soybean and corn farmer whose family owns and operates 560 acres of farmland, said on “Power Lunch” he’s “dubious” about the $40 billion to $50 billion worth of agricultural buys from China that the Trump administration last week announced after another round of trade talks.

“I’m not going to vote for the president, and I’m on record for saying that,” said Gibbs, a former chairperson of the Shelby County Republican Party. “He could come up with this $50 billion, he could walk across my pond and not get wet, and I’m still not going to vote for him because, you know, at the end of the day my name is Chris Gibbs, it’s not Judas, and I’m not going to sell my political moorings for 30 pieces of silver.”
https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/14/trump-c ... armer.html
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

We had to struggle with the old enemies of peace—business and financial monopoly, speculation, reckless banking, class antagonism, sectionalism, war profiteering.
Care to illuminate us, wes, on what initiatives Trump has taken, or has even proposed, to deal with each of these?

Because from what can be seen, his tax cuts have accomplished little else except enrich big business and fuel speculation, he has rolled back a substantial part of the regulations and consumer protections enacted after the financial crisis to rein in reckless banking, both his policies and his rhetoric have inflamed class and racial tensions, he has attacked and disadvantaged those sections of the country that did not support him, and favoured those that did, and he has exploded the defence budget so as to profit its contractors.

So based on addressing that list alone, the score would be FDR 6, Trump 0.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

There you go posing difficult yet thoughtful questions just what way do you expect wes to answer them? ( well aside from blatantly ignoring them that is).
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Gee whiz, wes is completely ignorant of who (and what) FDR was talking about when he said "I welcome their hate"...

Who could possibly have guessed that? :D

Trump, on the other hand, is "welcoming the hate" of patriotic men and women (in the government, in the press, etc.) willing to stand up for the Constitution and the rule of law in the face of his unprecedented corrupt and criminal assault on our laws, norms, and values, "welcoming the hate" of our long time allies, and "welcoming the hate" of the majority of Americans who now favor his Impeachment...

Not exactly the same thing as FDR...
ImageImageImage

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

If it was possible to burn down a thread title I’d torch this motherfucker.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

rubato

Post by rubato »

You would have to turn FDR inside-out and backwards to resemble Trump. FDR saved the world for democracy and saved working people from dying of starvation, poverty and disease. Trump is doing the opposite.

yrs,
rubato

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Well I remember the way FDR withheld military aid from Great Britain until Churchill agreed to come up with dirt on Wendell Wilkie....
ImageImageImage