A Lion Roars No More

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
BoSoxGal

A Lion Roars No More

Post by BoSoxGal »

(CNN) — Rep. Elijiah Cummings of Maryland died Thursday morning at age 68, according to his office.
He died of "complications concerning longstanding health challenges," his office said in a statement.

The Democratic congressman has represented Maryland's 7th Congressional District since 1996 and served as the chairman of the House Oversight and Reform Committee, which is one of the committees involved in the impeachment inquiry of President Donald Trump.

As chairman of the Oversight Committee, Cummings oversaw a range of investigations into the Trump administration, from issues relating to the impeachment inquiry to the treatment of migrants at the southern border to the use of personal email for official use by White House officials to how the citizenship question was considered for the US census. And it was his committee that grilled Trump's former personal attorney, Michael Cohen, in a blockbuster hearing this past February.

Cummings was born and raised in Baltimore -- the city that is home to his district. The son of former sharecroppers, Cummings was born in 1951 and graduated from Baltimore City College High School in 1969.

He practiced law and served for 14 years in the Maryland House of Delegates, where, according to his congressional website, he became the first African American in Maryland history to be named Speaker Pro Tem.

In 1996, he was first elected to the US Congress. Cummings was reelected last year in the 7th Congressional District with 76% of the vote.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Re: A Lion Roars No More

Post by Lord Jim »

Very sorry to see this...

I didn't agree with him on most policy issues, but he was a real gentleman and a man of integrity serving in an institution where respect for others and integrity have become scarce commodities; he will be much missed...
ImageImageImage

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Will Trump surprise everyone and say something gracious, I wonder.

Or, at least, have the good sense to say nothing.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

The only decent thing Trump could do would be to resign in Cummings' honor.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

You know that if he says something gracious (and that's a huge if) it will because one of his aides sat him down and yelled in his ear: "Daddy - just this once, let it go!"

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Well, okay Trump (or more likely some flunky using his account) did just Tweet something appropriate:

Donald J. Trump

@realDonaldTrump

My warmest condolences to the family and many friends of Congressman Elijah Cummings. I got to see first hand the strength, passion and wisdom of this highly respected political leader. His work and voice on so many fronts will be very hard, if not impossible, to replace!
5:54 AM - Oct 17, 2019
Now let's see if he has the grace and discipline to leave it at that...
Last edited by Lord Jim on Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Obviously not written by Trump. His would be:

My great, great condiments to the family and any friends of the King of Congress, Elisha Cummins. I got to see bigly strength, pashun and wisdom of this lightly respected political. His work against illegal impeachment will be very if not impossible, to convince people! Another Dems meltdown!
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I certainly would not put it past Trump to say something like that the stress of pursuing what he (Cummings) knew was an "unconstitutional Impeachment" may have contributed to his death...
Last edited by Lord Jim on Thu Oct 17, 2019 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Or maybe claim that the lord is smiting his enemies engaged in illegal activities.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Clearly not written by Trump - shows empathy, correctly speled and, punctuated and no Weird Capitalization.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:Clearly not written by Trump - shows empathy, correctly spelled and punctuated, and no weird capitalization.
I fixed it for you before Bicycle Bill had a chance.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:Obviously not written by Trump. His would be:

My great, great condiments to the family and any friends of the King of Congress, Elisha Cummins. I got to see bigly strength, pashun and wisdom of this lightly respected political. His work against illegal impeachment will be very if not impossible, to convince people! Another Dems meltdown!
@realDonaldTrump