When your cause is holy, you can do no wrong.

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Gob

Post by Gob »

or can you....
Commuters have dragged climate change protesters from the roof of a London Underground train.

Extinction Rebellion activists climbed on top of trains at Stratford, Canning Town and Shadwell during Thursday's rush hour.

The Jubilee Line and Docklands Light Railway were earlier partially suspended. Minor delays are still reported on the lines.

Four protesters have been arrested, British Transport Police (BTP) said.

Extinction Rebellion said the disruption was "necessary to highlight the emergency".

In the footage shared on social media from Canning Town station, a passenger waiting for a train is seen climbing on the carriage to get to one of the protesters.

The activist is grabbed by the knees and dragged down, falling to the platform where he appears to then be kicked and hit by angry commuters on the platform.

Others can be heard shouting and swearing at the protesters.

One shouts: "I have to get to work too - I have to feed my kids."

A second protester was chased along the top of the train carriage by a commuter before being dragged off.

A third Extinction Rebellion activist, who was broadcasting the protest on the group's social media accounts, said he was also attacked and "kicked in the head".

In a statement BTP said: "We continue to urge protesters to not target the London Underground network. This is dangerous, not only for protesters but for commuters.

"We have increased our patrols on the London Underground and at other rail hubs throughout London."

Extinction Rebellion co-founder Clare Farrell defended the Tube action, saying "the public, I don't think, realise quite how serious this situation is".

Speaking to the BBC she added: "Someone has been hurt today. We understand that putting ourselves in these positions is potentially dangerous for us.

"But what else can we do?"

At Shadwell station several activists glued themselves to trains, including 83-year-old Phil Kingston,

Mayor of London Sadiq Khan said in a statement: "I strongly condemn the Extinction Rebellion protesters who have targeted the London Underground and DLR this morning.

"This illegal action is extremely dangerous, counterproductive and is causing unacceptable disruption to Londoners who use public transport to get to work."

Train drivers' union Aslef said the Tube and other public transport services were "part of the solution to climate change, not the problem".

Extinction Rebellion should "stick to protesting against those who create the problem - not our industry, members and hard-working commuters", the union added.

A public order ban has been put in place on Extinction Rebellion activities in London since Monday.

In response, Extinction Rebellion called on "all London rebels and friends" to defy the ban.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-london-50079716
Looks like he got a good shoeing, fair play to them.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Lord Jim

Re: When your cause is holy, you can do no wrong.

Post by Lord Jim »

This reminds me of a few years back when Woody Harrelson and some others shut down traffic on the Golden Gate Bridge at the height of rush hour in a protest to save a grove of Redwood trees...

The self-righteous are not bound by the rules of consideration for others that apply to the rest of us...

Good on those commuters... :ok
ImageImageImage

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Train drivers' union Aslef said the Tube and other public transport services were "part of the solution to climate change, not the problem".
This.

Disrupting public transit to bring attention to climate change is akin to PETA picketing a tofu factory to protest animal cruelty.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

:clap: :clap: :clap: :ok :ok :ok (Scooter's post)

Gob

Post by Gob »

Scooter wrote:
Disrupting public transit to bring attention to climate change is akin to PETA picketing a tofu factory to protest animal cruelty.
I may just have to steal that....
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I agree that was illogical; they should have stopped auto traffic instead - hi light how many single passenger vehicles carry only a single occupant.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

Save the Homo Sapiens!!

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Well, that video certainly shows that not all homo sapiens are worth saving...
ImageImageImage

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Ten interviews (or thereabouts - I didn't count). But I'd love to know how many they filmed and scrapped. I hope it's maybe 200 and I'd be really scared if it was 10.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Gotta say I'm on the fence about extinction of homo sapiens. They had a good run, but they seem to be more trouble than they're worth.
GAH!

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

The only way to save homo sapiens is conversion therapy because only hetero sapiens can reproduce.

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Joe, most homo spaiens were born that way and there's really nothing you can do about it.
GAH!

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

How sad. Somebody should invent a vaccine to prevent homo sapienism. Then again we'd probably still end up with a lot of homo sapiens because of the large number of anti-vaxxer parents. What we really need is an anti-vaxxer vaccine.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Joe, Joe--you're playing into their hands; they believe vaccines were invented to hurt and eventually silence people like them.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Then it's time for someone like Donald Trump to stand up like a man and demand that homo sapiens seek help. I'm pretty sure that he would do it if he was advised not to.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Idon't know; granted, they can be jerks, but as sapiens, wouldn't they be too wise to fall for that crap?

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I'm sure Trump could convince his base voters of anything. They may not be the majority of our population but convincing his base would qualify as a large movement by Donald.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

True, but these are not the homo sapiens, they are the homo idiots

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

All this talk about homo sapiens and not one peep about bisapiens.

Shameful.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

If we had more bisapiens in Congress we would probably accomplish much more in Washington AC/DC.