Greta Thunberg Helpline

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Scooter

Greta Thunberg Helpline

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Lord Jim

Re: Greta Thunberg Helpline

Post by Lord Jim »

When I saw "Greta Thunberg" in the subject line, I had forgotten who that was until I clicked on the video...

How fleeting fame...
ImageImageImage

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Nah your memory just gone to shit. Welcome to old age. (Happy belated birthday BTW)
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Actually I think it may have something to do with the non-stop hurricane of Trump scandal news coming down day in and day out the past few weeks taking up most of the news space in my brain...

Greta's UN appearance seems like years ago...
ImageImageImage

Gob

Post by Gob »

Has she worked out how to get home yet?

She got there in a millionaires yatch, made of hydrocarbons, with a diesel back up motor, so obviously she'll want to be equally green on her return home.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Ladies and gentlemen, Exhibit A.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Beat me to it.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

wesw

Post by wesw »

H0W DARE Y0U!!!!!!

RayThom

Greta Green Thunberg Helpline

Post by RayThom »

Gob wrote:Has she worked out how to get home yet?

She got there in a millionaires yatch, made of hydrocarbons, with a diesel back up motor, so obviously she'll want to be equally green on her return home.
So how are you getting home Greta? Eco-warrior will overland travel to Chile for a December UN summit while crew that sailed her to the US FLY back across the Atlantic
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... weden.html

A zero carbon footprint obviously will need some really special orthopedic shoes.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Re: Greta Green Thunberg Helpline

Post by Bicycle Bill »

RayThom wrote:
Gob wrote:Has she worked out how to get home yet?

So how are you getting home Greta? Eco-warrior will overland travel to Chile for a December UN summit while crew that sailed her to the US FLY back across the Atlantic
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... weden.html

A zero carbon footprint obviously will need some really special orthopedic shoes.
What's she supposed to do — build herself a balsa-wood boat or papyrus reed raft like Thor Heyerdahl?

I don't think ANYONE is calling for the full and complete elimination of the use of hydrocarbons (i.e., fossil fuels) in any and all applications, but let's face it ... it is a demonstrably finite resource so it only makes sense to start using it sparingly, wisely, and to explore other alternatives — even nuclear.  When you consider that we went from 'flying' less than the length of a football field in a glorified box kite to putting men on the moon in less than seventy years, I believe that shows that we've got the smarts to figure out safer, better, and practical ways of dealing with an issue such as disposal of spent nuclear fuel components.

Any benefits with regard to greenhouse gases and slowing of climate change is just gravy on the potatoes.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

Scooter wrote:Ladies and gentlemen, Exhibit A.

Of course, the holy Greta is beyond criticism....
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Re: Greta Green Thunberg Helpline

Post by Gob »

Bicycle Bill wrote: What's she supposed to do — build herself a balsa-wood boat or papyrus reed raft like Thor Heyerdahl?
Admit that she has no answers to the global warming problem, (apart from "we must protest" that is,) and realise that most people don't have many options on using planes etc...

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

She's never pretended to have the solutions, she's a child pleading for the grownups to stop being selfish shits and start doing something about AGW and CC. She's asking us to listen to the scientists, who most definitely have proposed functional solutions - and yes, among them is to reduce air travel substantially, something that absolutely IS possible. It does require a lot less selfishness from grownups, many of whom apparently don't care one bit for their children's and grandchildren's futures.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

:ok :ok :ok

Gob

Post by Gob »

Still stuck there is she?

The problem being that this poor lass, one with the "superpower" of autism, has been thrust into the media spotlight by people, without any real thought as to who, why,what, when and how.

She's become the poster girl for the "extinction rebellion brigade", without having anything to offer, or any substance.

I blame the parents.

Gob

Post by Gob »

A newly-discovered species of beetle has been named after young climate activist Greta Thunberg.

Nelloptodes gretae bears little resemblance to its namesake - it is less than 1mm long, and has no wings or eyes.

The insect does, however, have two long pigtail-like antennae.

Scientist Dr Michael Darby said he chose the name because he was "immensely impressed" by the Swedish teenager's environmental campaigning.

N. gretae was first found in Kenya in the 1960s by William Block, who donated his samples to the Natural History Museum in London in 1978. It has been held in one of the museum's collections since.

Dr Darby was studying this collection when he came across the then-nameless species.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Doesn't fly . . . most appropriate
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts