Who's a GOOD DOG, now? Who's a good doggie?

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

From Adam-Troy Castro on Facebook, a canine mic-drop:
  • Dear Mr. President:

Speaking as the canine soldier who was instrumental in the attack on ISIS, I thank you for your invitation to the White House.

I may have no choice. I am a soldier, who goes where he is told.

However, if my feelings matter at all, I would prefer not.

The problem as I see it is that even as you praise me for my service and seek a photo opportunity with me to benefit your political fortunes, you continue to talk trash about my species. Your historical and lifelong use of us as a negative metaphor includes many cases of people lying like dogs, being beaten like dogs, or running away like dogs. The worst thing you say about the women of your species is that they're ugly as dogs, and you just now said that the terrorist you sent me and my human companions to neutralize wept like a dog, whimpered like a dog, and cowered like a dog.

I'm frankly offended, sir. I think this makes you a jerk.

I am also aware that a fine representative of my species was offered to your son Barron as a gift, which I figure should have been well appreciated given the social isolation he must experience, there in the White Kennel with no other puppies close to his own age. A dog would have been delighted to help him out. That's our nature, sir. You refused the gift. There is testimony from people who know you that you mock your staffers who have dogs, considering pet ownership "low class."

Frankly, sir, I can imagine any number of reasons why a responsible and generous human being might choose to not share his life with a dog, among them insufficient time to care for us, or (shudder) a preference for cats. But the evidence that you think of us as less than human, when we are simply other than human and in a few ways more generous than human, is substantial.

Dogs are good at sensing things. Trained, we can sense bombs, drugs, oncoming seizures, danger, cancer, emotional need on the part of our people. We also sense when people are afraid of us, which depending on our own character we either respond to with threat displays or with extra compassion. We have put any number of frightened people at their ease. We are good at that, sir. And we are also good at knowing when we should be more frightening, not less.

Mostly, we can tell when the people we meet can't be trusted.

The idea that we could be fawned over and praised by someone who also hates us is something we are well familiar with.

Plus, we happen to know of many human veterans, who fought for this country, who you then deported in defiance of their service records; humans who showed you dedication and deserved your loyalty, only to be cruelly betrayed. Believe me, sir, dogs know all about this. We talk. We despise the untrustworthy humans who behave this way. Many dogs have experienced it, themselves.

If forced to visit you, I will be polite. This I owe to the humans I consider my comrades and family. But I will not be happy about it, sir. I will consider it an unpleasant duty, a lot like going to the vet only without feeling better afterward. I will feel the shame you seem to associate with dogs every second of the ordeal. I deserve more, for risking my life for a cause I frankly don't even understand: a lot, in fact, like some of my two-legged friends in uniform, who have expressed similar confusion.

But I deserve more, sir.

I am looking forward to my moment on the Oval Office rug.

Signed,

CODE NAME REDACTED
:ok
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

CODE NAME REDACTED

I read where the dog's name is Conan -- named after the comedian, not the barbarian.

It's a special breed, Irish Malinois, which the handler says functions better when plied with alcohol.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

dales

Re: Who's a GOOD DOG, now? Who's a good doggie?

Post by dales »

Perhaps he could "salute" the President by lifting his leg.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

A photo tweeted by Donald Trump on Wednesday is getting dogged by accusations that the pic is the very definition of fake news.

The image shows the president putting a medal around the neck of a Belgian Malinois credited with helping to capture and kill Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, leader of the so-called Islamic State.
However, the photo didn’t really happen. Someone Photoshopped a picture of the hero dog over an Associated Press photo of 2017 Medal of Honor recipient James McCloughan, according to The Washington Post.

This side-by-side photo will show the similarities.
Although Trump tweeted the photo, it originated on the Instagram page of the conservative news outlet the Daily Wire.

The hero dog has never been to the White House and is back on duty despite being injured by an electric cable during an explosion, according to U.S. Central Command.

HuffPost reached out to the White House for comment on the decision to post a doctored photo, but no one immediately responded.

McCloughan seemed OK with being photoshopped out of a pic in order to honor the dog’s heroism.

The 73-year-old war hero told The New York Times that he interpreted the tweeted photo as the president recognizing the dog’s heroism and was not offended.

But many Twitter users had a bone to pick with the decision.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/trump-fake-p ... medal.html
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

The 73-year-old war hero told The New York Times that he interpreted the tweeted photo as the president recognizing the dog’s heroism and was not offended.
In fact he went further than that, and talked about how he had worked with a very courageous dog in Vietnam...

If McCloughan is okay with it, I don't really see a problem...

On a list of offensive things Trump has said or done, this doesn't make the top 10,000...
ImageImageImage

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Oh, no, I don't think it's at all offensive—but I DO think it's deceptive...not to mention hypocritical (for a guy who rails against "fake news")...

In other words, just another day in Trumpland, I guess. *SIGH* 12 thousand? 13 thousand? lies (whatever...who's counting anymore?), what's one more? Just one more reminder that This Is Not Normal, as if we needed any more of those...
God @The Tweet of God

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Lord Jim wrote:
On a list of offensive things Trump has said or done, this doesn't make the top 10,000...
Agreed, LJ. In many senses his Ukraine thing doesn't make the top 10 (yes I'm sure it's in the top 10,000) either but it's what we have. Unfortunately being an incompetent boorish idiot with a room temperature IQ is not impeachable.

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Oh, yeah...boorish. That too.

Idiotic too.
God @The Tweet of God

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

He's the pawest president ever!
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

God @The Tweet of God

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Comment from Jim Wright:
  • The dog probably enjoyed its visit with Trump.

If there's one thing I know about dogs: they love the smell of an asshole.
God @The Tweet of God

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Unfortunately being an incompetent boorish idiot with a room temperature IQ is not impeachable.
I think it could be if Congress chose to impeach him for that; it's not like it would be subject to any court review.