any0ne v0ting trump in 2020?

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
wesw

Re: any0ne v0ting trump in 2020?

Post by wesw »

if y0u translate drumpf 0r whatever, fr0m the german, there are tw0 meanings

a trumpet, 0r a wildcard.....

chew 0n that 0ne.....

and if y0u check his family tree, y0u will find the surname Christ, there is a link t0 it s0mewhere, deep in the b0wels 0f the trump thread.....

just sayin'.......

:shock:

wesw

Post by wesw »

...0r maybe he is ge0rge washingt0n reincarnate!!!!!!

I just call him mr president.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

wesw wrote:if y0u translate drumpf 0r whatever, fr0m the german, there are tw0 meanings

a trumpet, 0r a wildcard.....

chew 0n that 0ne.....
I'm German, but don't claim to be perfectly fluent.  Howsomever, when you enter "Drumpf" or "Drümpf" as a German word in Google Translate and tell it to translate it to English, all it gives back is "Drumpf" (or "Drümpf", depending on whether or not you put the umlaut over the 'u' in the first place).  This looks more to me like an example of the old mathematical/engineering/computer science saying, "garbage in, garbage out", about calculations, designs, and data input.

So yeah, chew on that one.....
wesw wrote:and if y0u check his family tree, y0u will find the surname Christ, there is a link t0 it s0mewhere, deep in the b0wels 0f the trump thread.....
You know what else you'll find deep in the bowels of the Trump family, don't you?  Mounds and mounds of the raw material that makes up Milorganite™.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

wesw

Post by wesw »

s0rry, g0t that 0ne wr0ng, I was giving the translati0n f0r trumpf

I ll blame my bad mem0ry

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

My German isn't good enough to tell you what Trump or Trumpf or Drumpf means but I can tell you what Trump means in English.

From my OED (I have the Compact Edition which is the 23 volume one photographically reduced to two volumes which comes with its own magnifying glass).

Meaning 1 (of trump as a verb) is to blow a trumpet. Not necessarily one's own but he is rather good at that.

Meaning 2:
To give forth a trumpet-like sound; spec. to break wind audibly (slang or vulgar)
It then gives, as the OED does, several citations - one which takes us back to 1425. I won't give that one as it's Middle English and I can't do some of the characters. I like this one from 1598:
FLORIO, Trombeggiare, . . to snort, to trump or bray as an asse.
I have to say I am not very familiar with Mr Florio (actually my education was obviously sadly lacking because until just now I knew nothing about him) but according to Wikipedia, which is always right, he was a pal of Shakespeare.