The Iowa Debacle

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Long Run

Re: The Iowa Debacle

Post by Long Run »

McGovern re-wrote the rules, and Jimmy Carter understood how best to play by them, and Iowa has had outsized importance ever since. And yes, not getting the results out timely does matter -- no results means no results means Iowa doesn't matter beyond its handful of delegates. That is not a bad but it is consequential.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

If Iowa's any guide, then I'm horrified that "four more years" seems more likely than ever.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

"Four more years" just means my hired assassins will have that much more time to get their job done.
BWAA-HA-Ha-Ha-ha-haaaaa!  :lol:
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

How long does it take to build a grassy knoll?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

The book depository takes longer; and then we need a Jack Ruby to take the patsy out...

rubato

Post by rubato »

I don't mind waiting a little longer for results. It makes no difference to me.

yrs,
rubato

Darren

Post by Darren »

They need to pass out marshmallows, hot dogs and sticks next time they hold a caucus. Image
Thank you RBG wherever you are!

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

They could have done it the Republican way, declare the wrong winner and then take two weeks to correct the foul up.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Gob

Post by Gob »

The real outrage about Iowa? The Democratic party silencing black voters

It’s hard to think of a state and a form of voting that would do more to disenfranchise the voices of black voters in the Democratic nomination process than the Iowa caucuses. If we ordered the Democratic primaries in terms of how representative and fair they are, Iowa would be close to last. And yet, beyond logic, the Iowa caucuses somehow have more influence than any other state.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

That's an excellent piece in the Graun which Gob has linked. It's worth reading the whole article of which the paragraph Gob quoted is the crux.

When I first came to the US in Reagan days, I don't recall the Iowa caucuses as having the same mythic status. They just seemed quirky, part of the colo(u)r of the system. The UK system - like I think most parliamentary democracies - does not have primaries: candidates are chosen by (usually) men in suits who drive big cars.

These days when US Dems are furiously fighting voter ID laws which seem reasonable but which are pushed by the R side because they know that they favo(u)r them, the Iowa caucuses are an anachronism. Iowans probably won't give them up without a fight - and don't forget that both Dems and Republicans choose their candidate using the system - because the 'first in the nation' gives them some boasting status and there is no doubt that motels and diners and TV stations welcome the money generating events.

Democracy is often ugly. The Iowa caucuses are not a good example of how to do it.