We've joined the "lockdown" crowd.

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
TPFKA@W

Re: We've joined the "lockdown" crowd.

Post by TPFKA@W »

Lizzy is good at hitting the notes.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Breaking news: Boris Johnson taken by ambulance to hospital after 10 days suffering with covid19.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

More details:
UK PM Boris Johnson admitted to hospital for tests

(CNN)British Prime Minister Boris Johnson has been admitted to the hospital for tests, Downing Street said Sunday.
"On the advice of his doctor, the Prime Minister has tonight been admitted to hospital for tests," the Prime Minister's Office said in a statement.

"This is a precautionary step, as the Prime Minister continues to have persistent symptoms of coronavirus 10 days after testing positive for the virus.
"The Prime Minister thanks NHS staff for all of their incredible hard work and urges the public to continue to follow the Government's advice to stay at home, protect the NHS and save lives," it said.

Johnson announced March 27 he had tested positive for the virus, saying in a video posted to Twitter he would work in isolation from his apartment in Downing Street.

He remains in charge of the government.

Friday, Johnson said he was still suffering a high temperature because of coronavirus and would continue to self-isolate.

"Although I'm feeling better and I've done my seven days of isolation, alas I still have one of the symptoms -- a minor symptom. I still have a temperature," he said in a video posted on Twitter.

"And so in accordance with government advice, I must continue my self-isolation until that symptom itself goes."
https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/05/uk/boris ... index.html
ImageImageImage

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’m thinking the PM doesn’t go to hospital in the midst of crisis over ‘just’ a continued fever. Unless it is a move meant to underscore seriousness of the pandemic to any folks still balking at stay at home measures over there (and streets seem fairly empty in the UK from incredible photos I’ve seen online), it seems more likely that he’s having trouble breathing.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

Lord Jim wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:22 pm
Striking all the right notes:

Hasn't hardly put a foot wrong in six decades. God bless you Ma'am!!
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Yeah, but how do her TV ratings compare to “The Bachelor” and “Monday Night Football”?
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

I suspected there was more to this; you don't rush the British PM to the hospital on a Sunday night ( especially when he had nearly hospital quality care in quarantine; including round-the-clock medical attention by the country's top doctors and most of the equipment on site that would be available in the hospital) as a "precautionary move" due to a "persistent fever":
Prime Minister Johnson in intensive care unit

U.K. Prime Minister Boris Johnson was moved to intensive care as his coronavirus symptoms worsened over the course of hours Monday, according to a statement from the government.

Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab will temporarily take over the prime minister’s duties while Johnson is hospitalized, the government said.

“Since Sunday evening, the Prime Minister has been under the care of doctors at St Thomas’ Hospital, in London, after being admitted with persistent symptoms of coronavirus,” a spokesman for No. 10 Downing Street said in a statement.

“Over the course of this afternoon, the condition of the Prime Minister has worsened and, on the advice of his medical team, he has been moved to the Intensive Care Unit at the hospital,” the spokesman said.

“The PM has asked Foreign Secretary Dominic Raab, who is the First Secretary of State, to deputise for him where necessary.”

“The PM is receiving excellent care, and thanks all NHS staff for their hard work and dedication,” the spokesman added.
https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/06/uk-prim ... sened.html

Another report I read indicated that at least so far, he has not required a ventilator.

I know there are a lot of folks here who aren't political fans of Johnson, but I assume that most here will join me in wishing him a speedy recovery.

Whatever you may think of him politically or personally, he just won a clear and substantial vote of confidence and mandate to lead the UK, (after a prolonged period of political paralysis in Britain) and this is NOT the way democratic election results should be nullified.
ImageImageImage

dales

Post by dales »

Another report I read indicated that at least so far, he [BoJo] has not required a ventilator.
It's a good thing too.

He won't have to kiss Trump's anus to get one either..... like Trump wants all of us to do.

He calls it "being appreciative"...….. I call it something else.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Okay LJ, but if the choice is BoJo or John Prine . . .
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Econoline, I don't think anybody is watching 'Monday Night Football" tonite. Even the un-inform POTUS updates tonight got better ratings than 'The Batchelor" [maybe I am wrong on this last one -- is 'the Batchelor' on syndicated re-runs some where, if so, it rating was probably higher]

snailgate

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

snailgate - I was referencing these tweets:Image
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Wonkette had an excellent post today about the Queen's speech, and the best thing about that post was that, after quoting from her speech on Sunday—
"It reminds me of the very first broadcast I made, in 1940, helped by my sister. We, as children, spoke from here at Windsor to children who had been evacuated from their homes and sent away for their own safety."
—they then found and posted that actual first broadcast speech of Princess Elizabeth, on October 13, 1940:

God @The Tweet of God

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Lovely...

Thanks for posting that Econo...
ImageImageImage

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Econoline wrote:
Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:03 am
snailgate - I was referencing these tweets:Image
Maybe it's just from sheer boredom.  A lot of what is on TV nowadays (like "The Bachelor") is crap, pure and simple.  Finding something good — unless you have an internet connection, extra money for Hulu, Netflix, and all the other streaming services, and enough time to winnow thru the chaff for the odd kernel of grain — is comparable to trying to find "a Coupe de Ville in the bottom of a Cracker Jack box" (props to Jim Steinman, who wrote the line).

As for myself, I would rather watch re-runs of "My Mother The Car", "Carter Country" (from the late 1970s), or "Cavemen" (the short-lived sitcom based on GEICO's 'so simple a caveman can do it' character) than watch or listen to Agent Orange as he unfailingly manages to turn a "press conference" into a pep rally.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Per LJ:
I know there are a lot of folks here who aren't political fans of Johnson, but I assume that most here will join me in wishing him a speedy recovery.
Agreed.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:03 pm
Just heard that John Prine has died.

He was scheduled for a concert in Louisville next month; and before this all hit I was considering getting tickets.

Damn.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Fuck this fucking virus.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

A gigantic image of the Queen delivering her address to the nation has been displayed on London's famous Piccadilly Lights.

The photo of the monarch appeared alongside quotes from her Sunday night broadcast on the coronavirus crisis.

The words read "We should take comfort that while we may have more still to endure, better days will return", before scrolling on to: "I want to thank everyone on the NHS front line, as well as care workers and those carrying out essential roles."

Usually one of London's busiest tourist hotspots, the streets surrounding the Piccadilly Circus landmark were quiet on Wednesday when the Queen's image appeared, as the nation remains in lockdown.

Just a few cars, red double-decker buses and a couple of cyclists and pedestrians were in the vicinity of the 780 square metre LED digital screen, near the so-called "Eros" statue.

An estimated 100 million people usually pass through Piccadilly Circus every year, making it one of the world's prime advertising spaces.

In her rare televised address, the monarch warned the country "may have more still to endure".

But the head of state said if we "remain united and resolute" in the face of the coronavirus outbreak "we will overcome it".

She echoed the words of Forces' sweetheart Dame Vera Lynn's Second World War song, saying: "We will meet again."
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

THOSE are the words of a leader.
Compare and contrast with the oral diarrhea of President Cheeto.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

RayThom

We've joined the "lockdown" crowd.

Post by RayThom »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 11:03 pm

Just heard that John Prine has died.

He was scheduled for a concert in Louisville next month; and before this all hit I was considering getting tickets.

Damn.
Sadly, Prine was gravely ill and multi-compromised -- virus, heart, cancer. advanced age. Older people who are placed on ventilators rarely survive the trauma.

Prine was an original, and I am truly saddened by his death. I think I'll dust off my JP vinyl LPs and have a small memorial in his honor.

Thank you, John. RIP
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.”