The Countdown to the restart of the economy has begun.

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Darren

The Countdown to the restart of the economy has begun.

Post by Darren »

In light of the popular demand, I'll add comments on this thread and not do a daily new topic.

The keys to the restart are the antibody and COVID-19 testing, hospital case load and reopening schools.

I'm seeing a very slow start with a real possibility of the speed increasing during the month.

Watch the differences between red state and blue state gubernatorial edicts.

I'm comfortable saying Trump will not be Hoover 2.0. I'm still wiling to bet on Trump for the win for $100. If he loses $100 goes to your choice of a charity.
Thank you RBG wherever you are!

dales

Re: The Countdown to the restart of the economy has begun.

Post by dales »

More accurate and truthful to note the differences in COVID-19 infection rates (and deaths) between the two groups.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I guess we've given up on the daily countdown, because things are infinitely worse now than when it was started.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Darren

Post by Darren »

dales wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:51 pm
More accurate and truthful to note the differences in COVID-19 infection rates (and deaths) between the two groups.
I'm looking at state's unemployment funds and the loss of sales and severance taxes. The slowdown in the oil patch means less money for states.

Here's a heads up already for Massachusetts.

https://www.salemnews.com/news/state_ne ... 79312.html

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

As I pointed out elsewhere, if Trump is reckless enough to make good on his "reopen" threat, responsible Governors will ignore him and keep the protocols that are working in place. They wont embrace the idea of killing their own people in some sort of attempt to enhance Trump's re-election chances or to curry favor with him. (And also as I pointed out, it's not exclusively Democratic Governors who have acted responsibly)

And despite King Donald's false assertion today that the decision on how and when to reopen the country is his decision to make, it manifestly is not. The Governor's orders have force of law; Il Boobce's guidelines do not.

But pity the poor folks stuck with Trumpist idiots for governors...or the ones dumb enough to believe him themselves...

The truly bizarre part of Trump's obsession with prematurely restarting the economy, which would inevitably bring on a second wave and new spikes and hot spots, is that not only would it result in vastly more deaths (which Trump obviously doesn't really give two shits about) but also far worse economic consequences than simply keeping the country shutdown for now and then gradually and prudently opening up the economy on a science-driven time schedule...

In other words, doing what he desperately wants to do would actual damage him politically rather than help him; or his party...(He apparently doesn't understand this, but there is growing evidence that other GOP leaders do; even his lap dog Lindsey Graham has spoken out about it.)

The only thing I can figure is that Trump is so constitutionally incapable of thinking strategically, that all he can do is focus on some supposed short-term benefit he would derive from trying to do something "dramatic"...

:loon :loon :loon :loon :loon :loon :loon
Last edited by Lord Jim on Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImage

Darren

Post by Darren »

Closed for business and the money loss puts states in a predicament.

"Later, on a public radio interview, Cuomo added: "You're going to see education cuts across this state.''

"New York State is basically bankrupt,'' he added, "

https://buffalonews.com/2020/03/26/new- ... next-year/

Darren

Post by Darren »

May 1, 2020

Gob

Post by Gob »

A coronavirus vaccine could be ready by September, it was reported last night.

Sarah Gilbert, an Oxford University professor currently leading Britain's most advanced search for a vaccine, said she was '80 per cent confident' her team's development would work by autumn.

Last month she was hopeful it could be developed by the end of 2020, but has now confirmed the most optimistic scenario after human trials look set to begin in the next fortnight.

The government has previously indicated it would fund the manufacture of millions of vaccine doses that looked promising in advance, allowing immediate availability to the public once developed.

Despite previous warnings a vaccine could take 18 months to produce, Professor Gilbert said the most bullish scenario for a working product was September 'if everything goes perfectly'.

She told the Times: 'I think there's a high chance that it will work based on other things that we have done with this type of vaccine.

'It's not just a hunch and as every week goes by we have more data to look at. I would go for 80 percent, that's my personal view.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... -work.html
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Darren

Post by Darren »

Looks like Australians are leading the race to develop a vaccine. Theirs is already going through animal trials.

https://www.news-medical.net/news/20200 ... ccine.aspx

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

A coronavirus vaccine could be ready by September, it was reported last night.
If this passes through the necessary trial stages and proves to be both safe and efficacious, and can be ready for mass production and distribution in September, that would indeed be FANTASTIC news...

I hope and pray this pans out; if it did it would be months before our best, most optimistic vaccine timeline estimates...

There are currently about 300 clinical trials going on worldwide in various stages for potential treatments and vaccines; the sooner some of them prove to be scientifically valid and can then be responsibly provided to the public the better...

Throwing a lot of spaghetti at the wall to see what sticks makes sense in this situation, so long as proper scientific methodology is observed...

In the meantime of course, we must ABSOLUTELY NOT relax out vigilance, or recklessly and percipiently abandon those mitigation policies that we know work to reduce death rates, or relax our pursuit of vastly expanded reliable testing.
ImageImageImage

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Darren

Post by Darren »

Look for Governor Abbott's executive order this coming week. Texas is going back to work. That'll be a template for other states.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Murder of the citizenry by executive order. How very Republican.

-- Author unknown

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Darren wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 10:28 pm
Look for Governor Abbott's executive order this coming week. Texas is going back to work. That'll be a template for other states.
Do you have a link to this mass murder plan by Governor Abbott? I can't find a word about it on Google.
ImageImageImage

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

This is what I found about Abbott discussing his plans. Pretty vague and no real timelines.

-- Author unknown

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

This link is probably not much different than Scooter's.

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

From Scooter's link:
Abbott said that right now, the state is working aggressively on programs that will get Texans back to work. “I know people at home want to see that done,” said Abbott. “We’re working on very aggressive strategies to make sure Texas is first at getting back to work.”

But Abbott said the state still has more work to do in the coming weeks before that can happen. “It would be premature to open up all the doors to businesses right now and to basically blow what we’ve worked so hard to achieve over the past month to reduce the spread of the Coronavirus,” Abbott continued.
So all Abbott has done is set up a group to start looking at how the state would open up at some point, (Something that many Governors are doing; nothing wrong with that. Since they realize that their states will not reopen "with a bang" it seems prudent to me to have people working on how a gradual partial reopen would unfold, when it's appropriate to begin one.) and reassuring people that he wants to get Texans back to work (the Governors of all states want to this) but also emphasizing that it would be a mistake to take any such action at least "for weeks"...

So in other words, yet another completely deliberately misleading nothing burger from our resident nothing burger chef...

ImageImageImage

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

That cartoon of Trump leading the band and going down with the ship is purely wishful thinking.  Had Trump been the captain of the Titanic, he would have been one of the first ones on a lifeboat, after telling everybody that by getting in first, he was leading by example.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

A US institute that predicted deaths from Covid-19 in the UK would be the highest in Europe at 66,000 has revised down its forecasts as a result of new data.

The Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation, based at the University of Washington in Seattle, now predicts 37,494 deaths in the UK by 4 August, although it said the figure could be between 26,000 and 62,500.

Despite the lower figure, it still predicts the UK will have the highest death toll in Europe.

Daily deaths at the peak, which the institute still says should be around 17 April, are predicted to be 1,674, or within a range of 650 to 4,000.

The IHME is the leading collector and analyst of global disease data in the world. It says it now recognises that its prediction last week of 66,000 deaths caused alarm. Models are only as good as the data that goes into them. Having included more recent figures, as the institute said it would, the picture has changed.

“IHME expects, going forward, that as the model has more data, the range of possible forecasts likely will narrow,” said a spokesman.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/ ... rus-deaths
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Daily deaths at the peak, which the institute still says should be around 17 April, are predicted to be 1,674, or within a range of 650 to 4,000.
How odd! Harry the Gecko who lives on our ceiling in the TV room made the same prediction although he put it like this: "Smaller than a breadbin but larger than the tallest building in Cincinnati"
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts