The Countdown to the restart of the economy has begun.

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Gob

Re: The Countdown to the restart of the economy has begun.

Post by Gob »

Darren is a constant reminder to me, of why there is no hope for the USA as a serious proposition.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Darren wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:46 am
We're still trying to kill the economy and stop Trump, Gob.
So all of the countries of the world that have been following a similar course, they have all been "trying to kill [their] economy" why, exactly?

That level of paranoia is pathological. You should probably have "Doc" refer you to someone for some help with that.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Yet another one of those moronic comments whose logic Darren didn't think through before posting.

-- Author unknown

Darren

Post by Darren »

Scooter wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 2:39 pm
Darren wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:46 am
We're still trying to kill the economy and stop Trump, Gob.
So all of the countries of the world that have been following a similar course, they have all been "trying to kill [their] economy" why, exactly?

That level of paranoia is pathological. You should probably have "Doc" refer you to someone for some help with that.

With 20/20 vision after the fact the MBA program I went through was a waste of time with the exception of two courses. One was Business Strategy and the other was a course the group thought would be a math course but it was a review course that required reading 200 books in a six week summer term.

The Business Strategy course involved case studies of businesses and where they made the wrong decision. That has been invaluable to me through the years. Life presents us with case studies daily.

The other course covered 200 books that ran the gamut except they were not about business analysis. The overall message was not everything is quantitative. You have to consider the qualitative too.

That's were GE's Jack Welch went wrong along with Westinghouse's upper management.

You can also look at the 10th man rule for insight.

I offer my signature quote as an analogy.

"Dogs are not necessarily stupid. If it can't be eaten (accepted as truth) or fucked (proven false) then piss on it. In dog world it doesn't get complicated."

You can piss on something, except an electric fence, as much as you like. That doesn't make it false. It means you cannot or will not comprehend it.

Does that mean I have a higher IQ or higher intellect? The answer is no. That's not logical.

I just see things differently than you simply because of education and life experience.
Thank you RBG wherever you are!

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

My degree is in business as well, but it somehow never managed to get me thinking that Canada, the UK, France, Germany, Italy, China, Australia, New Zealand, Spain, Norway, Denmark, Japan, South Korea, etc., etc., etc. collectively decided to tank their economies just to stick it to Donald Trump.
And if that's what your MBA got you to believe, then you should be asking that school for a refund. Ditto the neurosurgeon who performed your lobotomy.

-- Author unknown

Darren

Post by Darren »

Gob wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:54 pm
Darren is a constant reminder to me, of why there is no hope for the USA as a serious proposition.
I wouldn't count the US as down and out yet. I'm not predicting a renaissance. The federal government is long overdue for change.

As an example the Navy has a report that if followed will change it from the aircraft carrier group centric mentality. You'd think they would have understood the aircraft carrier as a mainstay had gone the way of the battleship as demonstrated by Billy Mitchel. When Chinese missile have a longer range that the carrier's aircraft, that should have been self evident.

Sad to say the Iranians are on the right track. The incompetent US Navy with its big toys for big boy admirals, not so much.

"WASHINGTON – An internal Office of the Secretary of Defense assessment calls for the Navy to cut two aircraft carriers from its fleet, freeze the large surface combatant fleet of destroyers and cruisers around current levels and add dozens of unmanned or lightly manned ships to the inventory, according to documents obtained by Defense News.

The study calls for a fleet of nine carriers, down from the current fleet of 11, and for 65 unmanned or lightly manned surface vessels. The study calls for a surface force of between 80 and 90 large surface combatants, and an increase in the number of small surface combatants – between 55 and 70, which is substantially more than the Navy currently operates."

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2020/ ... w.facebook

Darren

Post by Darren »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:51 am
I really don’t know how to respond to that; when I broke my wrist it didn’t occur to me even for a second to just let it heal up at home without medical attention. Hospitals know how to contain infectious disease and every ER in the country has a protocol for separating covid19 presumptive patients from other injuries/conditions. This is all over the news. It takes a special person to avoid EMS and hospital in a medical emergency. Is there a Venn diagram that shows if there is overlap with people who get mental over mask requirements? The hospitals make you wear a mask, after all.
"WALNUT CREEK, Calif. (KGO) -- Doctors at John Muir Medical Center in Walnut Creek say they have seen more deaths by suicide during this quarantine period than deaths from the COVID-19 virus.

WATCH: 'Your Mental Health: A Bay Area Conversation,' virtual town hall addressing COVID-19 impact on mental health

The head of the trauma in the department believes mental health is suffering so much, it is time to end the shelter-in-place order."

https://abc7news.com/suicide-covid-19-c ... RDFCRTPNcw

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

From Darren's link:
John Muir Health has been, and continues to be, supportive of the Shelter-in-Place order put in place by Contra Costa County Health Services to prevent the spread of COVID-19. We realize there are a number of opinions on this topic, including within our medical staff, and John Muir Health encourages our physicians and staff to participate constructively in these discussions. We all share a concern for the health of our community whether that is COVID-19, mental health, intentional violence or other issues. We continue to actively work with our Behavioral Health Center, County Health and community organizations to increase awareness of mental health issues and provide resources to anyone in need. If you are in a crisis and need help immediately, please call 211 or 800-833-2900 or text 'HOPE' to 20121 now. We are all in this together, and ask the community to please reach out to anyone who you think might be in need during this challenging time. Thank you.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Darren wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:13 pm
"DETROIT (Reuters) - Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer is facing an increasingly mainstream backlash against her stay-at-home orders, with a growing number of local officials and business leaders arguing the restrictions have outlived their usefulness. "
Yet she still has a 64% approval rating for her handing of the Coronavirus...
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

RayThom

The Countdown to the restart of the economy has begun.

Post by RayThom »

I find it hard to believe but it appears that Darren has edited out yet another important focal point to make it seem like he's the source of all reason.

I wonder what his end game is?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Darren wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:05 pm
"Pritzker backs off attempt to impose misdemeanor charges on IL businesses violating COVID EO

SPRINGFIELD - Governor JB Pritzker reportedly has withdrawn his emergency rule imposing a Class A Misdemeanor on businesses that violate his executive order from consideration by the Illinois General Assembly's Joint Committee on Administrative Rules. "
Darren wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:13 pm
"DETROIT (Reuters) - Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer is facing an increasingly mainstream backlash against her stay-at-home orders, with a growing number of local officials and business leaders arguing the restrictions have outlived their usefulness. "
ILLINOIS: 105,444 cases (2,758 new cases so far today); 4,715 deaths (108 new deaths so far today)
MICHIGAN: 53,913 cases (403 new cases so far today); 5,158 deaths (29 new deaths so far today)
USA Total: 1,643,304 cases (22,407 new cases so far today); 97,562 deaths (1,211 new deaths so far today)
Scooter wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:24 am
I'm curious, Darren, how many U.S. deaths do there need to be for you to stop trivializing what is happening as a "mediademic"?

You'll be at 100,000 within a few days, so obviously that's not enough for you to take it seriously.

So what is the number? 200,000? 500,000? 1,000,000? 10,000,000?

Or does your criteria match Trump's view, that so long there are fewer dead than remain alive (so 164,000,000 corpses, give or take), then everything remains hunky dory?

Give us a number, Darren.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Darren

Post by Darren »

"About 647,000 Americans die from heart disease each year"

https://www.cdc.gov/heartdisease/facts.htm

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

So are you saying that 647,000 is the number at which COVID-19 stops being a "mediademic" and becomes something we should care about? That the media should not be covering anything that kills less than 647,000 people because any number less than that is insignificant?

Gee, I guess we would have never heard about 9/11, then, to say nothing about those four completely unnewsworthy deaths in Benghazi.

-- Author unknown

Darren

Post by Darren »

"YAKIMA, Wash. -- In a shocking revelation, Yakima County Coroner Jim Curtice told Action News he’s seen a disturbing trend since the stay-at-home order began.

Drug overdoses erupted by 300% compared to the same time last year.

"The suspected overdose deaths, we are at 20," said Curtice.

Counselors at Triumph Treatment Center in Yakima say this is because there aren’t many people showing up to treatment.

"A lot of people are afraid to see people person-to-person to reach out for help or services," said Michelle Roberts, a Substance Use Disorder Professional at the Triumph Treatment Center.

She says say normally about 12 people are seen each week, but Roberts has only seen one person this week.

"We're still here, we're still doing everything we were doing before the pandemic that we are doing now still, just a little bit differently," Roberts said.

She says many people are either scared to go out or simply don’t know the treatment center is open."

https://kimatv.com/news/local/yakima-co ... Z_N70vVr2w

Darren

Post by Darren »

"Cancer is the second leading cause of death in the United States, with researchers from the American Cancer Society predicting the disease will affect more than 1.7 million people and cause 600,000 deaths in the nation this year."

https://www.ajmc.com/journals/evidence- ... eaths-rise

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I didn't realize cancer is a contagious disease. Maybe taking HCQ would prevent it. If the government makes everyone take it, it would probably also help ease the pain of inflamed bone spurs.

Darren

Post by Darren »

"Demand for Abbott Laboratories rapid test for the Coronavirus strain Covid-19 continues to surge while the U.S. Food and Drug Administration reviews the product and more data comes out to support the diagnostic’s accuracy.

The FDA last week said it had received 15 adverse event reports about Abbott’s ID NOW Covid-19 test, which has been hailed by the White House, drugstore chains, researchers and clinicians because it can deliver positive results in as little as five minutes and negative results in 13 minutes. As of Friday morning, Abbott said more than 2 million ID NOW rapid molecular tests had been shipped across the country since the FDA granted the diagnostic an emergency use authorization in late March.

A study released last week by researchers at New York University showed ID NOW missed diagnosing up to half of known positive cases, which triggered the FDA review. The NYU study has been criticized in recent reports while Abbott points to new data out this week showing a high rate of accuracy in ongoing and much larger studies.

Meanwhile, medical care providers including drugstore chains working with states to ramp up testing are sticking with Abbott’s ID NOW, saying it has worked well to diagnose Americans who are ill with the virus as well as “asymptomatic” cases who are those infected with the virus and can spread it unknowingly because they don’t feel sick. "

https://www.forbes.com/sites/brucejapse ... 7e4ec17fb5

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

P R O T E S T S   ——   L E F T   v s    R I G H T

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown