The Countdown to the restart of the economy has begun.

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Scooter

Re: The Countdown to the restart of the economy has begun.

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

dales

Post by dales »

As of today.

Over 110,000 dead.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

So it's all a "Democratic hoax".

The "real" mortality rate is 0.01% or whatever number they are conjuring up this week.

There's no reason to put off lifting all remaining precautions to "get the economy going again".

But Trump needs to be insulated from liability for those attending his rallies getting sick and dying.

Which of these things, doesn't go with the others...

-- Author unknown

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

They all go together.  It's a standard waiver/disclaimer clause in the entertainment industry.  You've got the name of the venue (BOK Center); the name of the venue management company (ASM Global); their subordinates, minions, flunkies, and concession-stand operators (listed as "any of their affiliates, directors, officers, employees, agents, contractors, or volunteers"), and the name of the performer (Donald J. Trump for President Inc).  So if you were to swap out the last entity for something like "Blue Man Group" or "The Oklahoma City Thunder Professional Basketball Club" or "Professional Bull ⃥S⃥h⃥i⃥t⃥t⃥e⃥r⃥s⃥  Riders Association", you'd have pretty much the same thing as you find printed on the back of literally any ticket you purchase to any baseball game, football game, or entertainment event in the country.  If you've got an old ticket to a ball game or concert from the last couple of years laying around, look for yourself.

Even if you don't read it (or sign anything) before you buy the ticket, you are still bound by it.  It's called "implied consent" — a term most commonly found in motor vehicle statutes with regard to driving a motor vehicle and granting consent to be tested for impairment by alcohol or other substances.  It's just that with all the hullaballoo about Covid-19, the above groups are making sure that all the 'T's are crossed and all the 'I's are dotted so that no one can come back later and say "But I didn't know...."

I wouldn't be surprised that if Biden were to hit the campaign trail as well, tickets for his rallies/speeches would have a similar statement on them.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

It is nothing like a standard liability waiver. It is specific to COVID-19 (I assume it stands in addition to what would otherwise be a standard waiver), which is outrageous given Trump's insistence that it is nothing to worry about and life should be getting back to normal.

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Coronavirus: 18 family members test positive for COVID-19 after surprise birthday party

CARROLLTON, Texas — A surprise birthday party held by a family in North Texas late last month has been linked to 18 cases of COVID-19 in the family, according to WFAA.

Ron Barbosa, a volunteer EMT who is married to a doctor, told WFAA that he and his wife refused to go when his family threw a party May 30 for his daughter-in-law, who turned 30.

“When people started getting sick, we really let everyone have it,” Barbosa told WFAA. “We knew this was going to happen, I mean this whole time this has been going on we’ve been terrified.”

Barbosa said his nephew, who hosted the party, had a slight cough that he thought he’d gotten from working construction. Later, the family learned he had COVID-19, WFAA reported.

“(The party) wasn’t that long. It was only a couple of hours. But during that brief time, somehow the other 18 family members are now infected with COVID,” Barbosa told WFAA.

Among those who fell ill are Barbosa’s parents, who are in their 80s, and his sister, who is battling breast cancer, according to WFAA. Barbosa’s mother, Carole, has been hospitalized since June 13 while his father, Frank, was hospitalized June 17 and has since been placed on life support.

Barbosa said his relatives were horrified to know that they spread the novel coronavirus.

“People couldn’t believe that they took it to a family member,” he told WFAA. “But now, we’re holding on together.”

As of Wednesday, the most recent date for which data was available, nearly 126,000 people had been diagnosed with COVID-19 in Texas, according to state health officials. Authorities said 2,249 people have died statewide of the viral infection.

-- Author unknown

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

SURPRISE!!!!!
:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

What a prick; everyone was sick and he had to "let everyone have it" and say I told you so. No reaching out a comforting hand, only storking his own ego.

I'm not defending the people for holding the party (indeed, I don't know the circumstances), but the last thing they need is a know it all EMT telling them they screwed up; I wouldn't ever invite him to a party.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

For recklessly endangering the lives of two old people and a woman with cancer, they deserve whatever abuse he wants to heap on them. If it had been my nephew who stupidly ignored his own symptoms before infecting others, and were it my parent(s) who ended up dying as a result, I would be introducing him at the funeral as the moron who murdered his grandparent(s).

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

And I guess the older people and the woman with cancer (assuming they are of ordinary mental capacity) couldn't have just opted not to go to the party? If you have a special risk, shouldn't you avoid crowds, family or not? Those people recklessly exposed themselves IMHO. But, FWIW, as they're sick I'd never "Let them have it."

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

By the same token depending on the family the kid could have been guilted into coming just like they attempted to do to the couple.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Florida Man Leads His State to the Morgue

Texas Man: Hey, Wanna Race? Somebody Hold My Beer!
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Texas Closes Bars, Cuts Restaurant Capacity One Day After Dan Patrick Declared, ‘We’re Not Stepping Backwards’

Texas Republican Gov. Greg Abbott on Friday ordered bars to shut down — again — and restaurants to reduce their capacity to 50 percent, amid a massive surge in COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations in the Lone Star State.

“At this time, it is clear that the rise in cases is largely driven by certain types of activities, including Texans congregating in bars,” Abbott said in a news release. “The actions in this executive order are essential to our mission to swiftly contain this virus and protect public health.”

Abbott’s announcement comes after Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick declared in a Fox News interview on Thursday night, “We’re not stepping backwards.”

The Texas Tribune reports: Before Abbott’s announcement Friday, bars were able to operate at 50% capacity and restaurants at 75% capacity. Abbott’s actions Friday were his first significant moves to reverse the reopening process that he has led since late April. He said Monday that shutting down the state again is a last resort, but the situation has been worsening quickly. … Texas saw another record number of new cases Thursday — 5,996 — as well as hospitalizations — 4,739. The hospitalization number set a record for the 14th straight day.

On Thursday, Abbott announced the state would pause any further reopening, and banned elective surgeries in four counties to preserve bed space for coronavirus patients.

NPR reported: In San Antonio, ventilator availability dipped below 70% for the first time on Wednesday, Texas Public Radio reported. In Houston, one hospital’s ICU reportedly was at 120% capacity, while another one’s was at 88%. Texas Medical Center in Houston said Tuesday that 97% of its ICU beds were occupied and that 27% of those patients were people who had tested positive for the coronavirus. It said its normal ICU occupancy is 70% to 80%. On Thursday, the Houston Chronicle reported that the medical center has reached 100% of its ICU capacity.

-- Author unknown

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

You would think Texas could get a panhandle on this.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

rubato

Post by rubato »

The countdown counter is set back to zero.