The Countdown to the restart of the economy has begun.

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Scooter

Re: The Countdown to the restart of the economy has begun.

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Catoosa Baptist Tabernacle in Ringgold, Georgia, and Holy Ghost Catholic Church in Houston, Texas, have indefinitely cancelled services after members and leaders tested positive for Covid-19 shortly after reopening, a development that really ought to provide a timely caution for Trump and the nation's Republican state governors as they clamour to end the shutdown.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/wor ... 23506.html
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Darren

Post by Darren »

"Pritzker backs off attempt to impose misdemeanor charges on IL businesses violating COVID EO

SPRINGFIELD - Governor JB Pritzker reportedly has withdrawn his emergency rule imposing a Class A Misdemeanor on businesses that violate his executive order from consideration by the Illinois General Assembly's Joint Committee on Administrative Rules. "
Thank you RBG wherever you are!

Darren

Post by Darren »

"DETROIT (Reuters) - Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer is facing an increasingly mainstream backlash against her stay-at-home orders, with a growing number of local officials and business leaders arguing the restrictions have outlived their usefulness. "

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

ILLINOIS: 100,418 cases (2,388 new cases so far today); 4,525 deaths (146 deaths so far today)
MICHIGAN: 53,009 cases (659 new cases so far today); 5,060 deaths (43 deaths so far today)
USA Total: 1,586,716 cases (16,133 new cases so far today); 94,713 deaths (1,180 deaths so far today)

Edited to add:
Scooter wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 1:24 am
I'm curious, Darren, how many U.S. deaths do there need to be for you to stop trivializing what is happening as a "mediademic"?

You'll be at 100,000 within a few days, so obviously that's not enough for you to take it seriously.

So what is the number? 200,000? 500,000? 1,000,000? 10,000,000?

Or does your criteria match Trump's view, that so long there are fewer dead than remain alive (so 164,000,000 corpses, give or take), then everything remains hunky dory?

Give us a number, Darren.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

RayThom

The Countdown to the restart of the economy has begun.

Post by RayThom »

Drivel wrote:
Wed May 20, 2020 9:13 pm
"DETROIT (Reuters) - Michigan Governor Gretchen Whitmer is facing an increasingly mainstream backlash against her stay-at-home orders, with a growing number of local officials and business leaders arguing the restrictions have outlived their usefulness."
Darren, I'm curious, how many U.S. deaths does there need to be for you to stop trivializing what is happening as a "mediademic"?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

As soon as the media starts idolizing Trump and making Tim look like the hero he is in his own mind.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Darren

Post by Darren »

"Mass casualty incident":

600 doctors sign letter to Trump calling for end to lockdowns over health concerns

More than 600 doctors signed and sent a letter to President Trump urging him to reopen the U.S. economy, calling the coronavirus lockdowns a "mass casualty incident" with "exponentially growing health consequences."

The letter warns that tens of millions of Americans are at immediate risk of serious health concerns or death directly caused by the shutdown due to issues such as missed preventative healthcare checkups, suicide, alcoholism, drug abuse, homelessness, heart attacks, and strokes.

"We are alarmed at what appears to be the lack of consideration for the future health of our patients," the letter reads. "The downstream health effects of deteriorating a level are being massively under-estimated and under-reported. This is an order of magnitude error."

https://disrn.com/news/mass-casualty-in ... -lockdowns

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

A whole 600? You fon’t Say?!

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Darren wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 12:51 am
The letter warns that tens of millions of Americans are at immediate risk of serious health concerns or death directly caused by the shutdown due to issues such as missed preventative healthcare checkups, suicide, alcoholism, drug abuse, homelessness, heart attacks, and strokes.
And none of the above is a problem when there is no shutdown?

Darren

Post by Darren »

Crackpot wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:11 am
A whole 600? You fon’t Say?!
"The patient described it as the "worst headache of her life."

She didn't go to the hospital though. Instead, the Washington state resident waited almost a week.

When Dr. Abhineet Chowdhary finally saw her, he discovered she had a brain bleed that had gone untreated.

The neurosurgeon did his best, but it was too late.

"As a result, she had multiple other strokes and ended up passing away," says Chowdhary, director of the Overlake Neuroscience Institute in Bellevue, Wash. "This is something that most of the time we're able to prevent."

Chowdhary says the patient, a stroke survivor in her mid-50s, had told him she was frightened of the hospital.

She was afraid of the coronavirus.

The fallout from such fear has concerned U.S. doctors for weeks while they have tracked a worrying trend: As the pandemic took hold, the number of patients showing up at hospitals with serious cardiovascular emergencies such as strokes and heart attacks has shrunk dramatically.

Across the U.S., doctors call the drop-off staggering, unlike anything they've seen. And they worry a new wave of patients is headed their way — people who have delayed care and will be sicker and more injured when they finally arrive in emergency rooms.

It has alarmed certain medical groups such as the American College of Cardiology and the American Heart Association. The latter is running ads to urge people to call 911 when they're having symptoms of a heart attack or stroke.

"Where are all these patients?"

Across the country, ER volumes are down about 40% to 50%, says Dr. William Jaquis, president of the American College of Emergency Physicians.

"I haven't seen anything like it, ever," he says. "We anticipated, actually, "

https://www.npr.org/sections/health-sho ... nd-strokes

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I really don’t know how to respond to that; when I broke my wrist it didn’t occur to me even for a second to just let it heal up at home without medical attention. Hospitals know how to contain infectious disease and every ER in the country has a protocol for separating covid19 presumptive patients from other injuries/conditions. This is all over the news. It takes a special person to avoid EMS and hospital in a medical emergency. Is there a Venn diagram that shows if there is overlap with people who get mental over mask requirements? The hospitals make you wear a mask, after all.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

The drop is due to people no longer treating the ER as a de facto PCP.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Crackpot wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:59 am
The drop is due to people no longer treating the ER as a de facto PCP.
This makes sense to me. When I was in ER for a few hours almost two weeks ago, my PA and nurse and radiology staff all told me that they were also missing a lot of the regular ER crowd that comes attention seeking - hypochondriacs and Munchausen’s patients.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Gob

Post by Gob »

34 pages in, still waiting for the Countdown to the restart of the economy to approach its destination.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Darren

Post by Darren »

Gob wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 7:53 am
34 pages in, still waiting for the Countdown to the restart of the economy to approach its destination.
Gob wrote:
We're still trying to kill the economy and stop Trump, Gob. The screaming, wailing, and accusations will be along shortly. The projected kill of 300,000 or a million or two will be cited.

Thank god someone doesn't bring up abortion. Of course that doesn't count.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Speaking of abortion - did you hear about Norma Corvey’s deathbed confession? I am TOTALLY unsurprised - I always thought it stunk of something rotten that she’d become such a perfect poster child for the evangelical anti-choice movement. Bless her for telling the truth before she died about how they bought her off. Fucking hypocrites - I am certain that Jesus weeps every time he thinks of evangelicals.
~ Carl Sagan

Darren

Post by Darren »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:55 am
Speaking of abortion - did you hear about Norma Corvey’s deathbed confession? I am TOTALLY unsurprised - I always thought it stunk of something rotten that she’d become such a perfect poster child for the evangelical anti-choice movement. Bless her for telling the truth before she died about how they bought her off. Fucking hypocrites - I am certain that Jesus weeps every time he thinks of evangelicals.
I saw that. That didn't surprise me for some reason.

MajGenl.Meade

What is truth? Or Pilate is the only survivor

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Hindenburg Research on the short case for Sorrento

Last Friday, Sorrento Therapeutics Inc (NASDAQ:SRNE) appeared to celebrate discovering a cure for the coronavirus in a widely disseminated Fox News article. The company’s stock rose 243% that day on about 78x its daily average volume.
However, former company employees and experts at Mt. Sinai, the NIH, and the Rockefeller Foundation confirmed to us that the news is likely too good to be true.
“I would never in my life have put out a press release where I say we have a cure,” a former Sorrento senior executive told us. He also estimated there are “hundreds” of groups with antibodies similar to Sorrento’s.
“I suggest extreme skepticism regarding any claims made by Sorrento,” another former employee told us.
“I am not aware of any data suggesting Sorrento’s single Ab is as good as the many others that had already been previously generated (such as ours or Lilly’s)” Regeneron’s co-founder told us.
Sorrento was nearly out of cash and facing growing questions of solvency leading up to its surprise cure announcement. The company put paperwork in place to sell $500 million of stock just weeks in advance of ‘discovering’ the cure.
After the financing arrangements were put in place, the company announced a collaboration with Mount Sinai, then within just three days began pitching journalists on its miraculous findings.
Meanwhile, one Mount Sinai researcher we talked to called Sorrento’s announcement “very hyped”. Another warned us that “nothing in medicine is 100%,” referring to the company’s claim of a solution that works 100% in the Fox News piece.
One of the company’s financing agreements is with a year-old entity in the British Virgin Islands. The mystery backer was unnamed, but multiple industry sources tell us it is the same individual that was behind financing shipping company DryShips in 2017. DryShips lost 99.9% of its value in 2017 and reverse split eight times between 2016 and 2017.
We believe that Sorrento’s actions are manipulative at the worst possible time and simply amount to an attempt to shamelessly profiteer off the pandemic.
We see significant downside from these levels and believe the company is already in the process of severely diluting its new unsuspecting investor base. We believe regulators should closely scrutinize the company’s actions over the last several weeks.

https://www.valuewalk.com/2020/05/sorre ... QzKM6vsW5k
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Darren wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 9:46 am
Gob wrote:
Gob wrote:
We're still trying to kill the economy and stop Trump, Gob. The screaming, wailing, and accusations will be along shortly. The projected kill of 300,000 or a million or two will be cited.

Thank god someone doesn't bring up abortion. Of course that doesn't count.

Just when I thought you couldn't surprise me, you post something like this. The sad thing is you apparently believe it.