Cornona Corvid Protests....

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Scooter

Re: Cornona Corvid Protests....

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Gob

Post by Gob »

Following protests throughout the week at its state capitol, Kentucky reported its highest case spike. According to new reported figures, Kentucky added 273 new cases in a single day on Sunday, bringing the state’s total to 2,960.

On 15th April, around 100 protesters gathered on the lawn of the Capitol building in Frankfort, KY during Gov Andy Beshear’s coronavirus briefing to demand the state lockdown be lifted. The same group of demonstrators returned to protest again a couple days later, both times shouting things like, “Open up Kentucky!” and “You’re not a king!” Some protesters stood directly outside the room where Beshear was holding his press conference while others circled the area in cars in a drive through protest.

Now, it seems that those protests, which appear to lack social distancing efforts, may have lead to a projected increase in COVID-19 cases. Kentucky’s protests are among those that broke out in several states this past week including demonstrations in Ohio, Minnesota, and Michigan. All of the protests involved demonstrators disregarding social distancing recommendations and stay-at-home orders to demand their states reopen despite the state’s readiness to do so.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Post by Gob »

How long before this gets updated?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

There was a film critic named Joe Bob Briggs (maybe there still is) and I used to read his critiques of 'B Movies' in the San Francisco Sunday paper back in the early 80s. He'd rate them by the amount of breasts, blood etc they contained. He also would answer questions in his column. Anyway, I sent him a letter once which he included in his column. He responded in the newspaper and by letter. In his letter he included a bumper sticker that said, "DAMM - Drunks Against Mad Mothers".

Well.... I thought it was funny then. Now it's kinda Trumpish.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Joe Guy wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 11:42 pm
There was a film critic named Joe Bob Briggs (maybe there still is) and I used to read his critiques of 'B Movies' in the San Francisco Sunday paper back in the early 80s. He'd rate them by the amount of breasts, blood etc they contained. He also would answer questions in his column. Anyway, I sent him a letter once which he included in his column. He responded in the newspaper and by letter. In his letter he included a bumper sticker that said, "DAMM - Drunks Against Mad Mothers".

Well.... I thought it was funny then. Now it's kinda Trumpish.
I once had a T-shirt I found at a Harley-Davidson dealer, even though it wasn't H-D branded.  It was that high-vis OSHA green/yellow and had "CAN YOU SEE ME NOW?" printed on the back in big black block letters.

On the front, over the left breast area, was the acronym "BADD" — Bikers Against Dumb Drivers.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Gob

Post by Gob »

I'm having that!!

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Careful, that equivalence can run both ways. I cn see it now, "just as I used a mask to protect myself from the scourge of covid 19, I carry a gun from the scourge of the criminal element."

But FWIW, a mask primarily protects others from you, viral particles are quite small and can go through most masks.

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

Big RR wrote:
Thu May 21, 2020 1:14 pm
Careful, that equivalence can run both ways. I cn see it now, "just as I used a mask to protect myself from the scourge of covid 19, I carry a gun from the scourge of the criminal element."

But FWIW, a mask primarily protects others from you, viral particles are quite small and can go through most masks.
Most of the people who exercise their concealed carry or open carry rights are doing so "to protect from the scourge of the criminal element" already. It's the nuts who insist on running around with their rifles over their shoulder or even armed to the teeth "because they can" that give rise to the term "gun nut". I'm pro 2A for sure, but I'm not pro "if it can be fired, I have a right to own and carry it - give me a bazooka or you're infringing on my rights"

I also wear a mask in public. Not because my governor demanded it, but because it's a simple modification to aid in stemming the spread and because every public place I go (stores, for example) have signs saying, in a nut shell, "put on a mask or don't come in". No shirt, no shoes, no mask, no service. They say nothing about pants, though, so I have that going for me.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Blame the dead....
Why do Americans represent less than 5% of the world’s population but nearly a third of the known coronavirus death toll? Not because of government incompetence, the Trump administration is arguing, but because Americans are very unhealthy.

The United States’ organized response to the pandemic had been “historic”, Trump’s health secretary, Alex Azar, told CNN on 17 May, but America “unfortunately” has a “very diverse” population, and black Americans and minorities “in particular” have “significant underlying disease”.

Jake Tapper, the CNN anchor interviewing Azar, paused and squinted. Surely, he asked, Azar was not arguing that “the reason that there were so many dead Americans is because we’re unhealthier than the rest of the world?”

Azar doubled down: “These are demonstrated facts.”

“That doesn’t mean it’s the fault of the American people that the government failed to take adequate steps in February …” Tapper said.

“This is not about fault. It’s about simple epidemiology,” Azar said, adding in a pious tone: “One doesn’t blame an individual for their health condition. That would be absurd.”

Blaming black Americans for dying from a novel virus because they had diabetes or high blood pressure was precisely what Azar was doing. Someone had to be held responsible for an American death toll approaching 100,000 people, worse than any other country’s reported deaths. In order for the Trump administration to remain blameless, someone else had to be blamed, and the administration was now blaming the dead.

It took less than a month after the first shelter-in-place orders to devolve into a full-blown partisan culture war, complete with armed protests egged on by the president; conservatives questioning or denying death numbers; pundits arguing against a continued lockdown with lines like, “You can call me a Grandma killer”; attempts by hair salons and barbers to stage acts of civil disobedience; and some states led by Republican governors moving to quickly reopen, even as other states with Democratic governors announced months of continued restrictions.

The anti-lockdown demonstrations at state capitols have attracted a messy jumble of protesters: anti-vaccine activists and other conspiracy theorists, rightwing provocateurs, members of known anti-government militias, gun rights advocates, established conservative groups backed by wealthy billionaire donors, Republican stalwarts and people who were actually out of work.

It would be wrong to argue that racism was the sole motivation for the protests, or even a decisive factor for the many different protesters who showed up.

But the moment when the US response to coronavirus escalated into a full culture war is revealing. The big protests at state capitols, with crowds of white Americans demanding their governors reopen the economy, started about a week after national news outlets began reporting in early April that black Americans made up a disproportionate number of the dead.

Systemic racism created the health disparities that made black and brown Americans more vulnerable to dying from coronavirus, public health experts say; and now the same racism is also shaping, and undermining, the country’s political response to the pandemic.

Continues here...

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

God @The Tweet of God

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

God @The Tweet of God

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Childish selfishness
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Egged on by the child-in-chief and his band of liars, grifters, and thieves.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké