Ahmaud Arbery

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
MajGenl.Meade

Re: Ahmaud Arbery

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Hey Darren

You wrote this: "The video shows Mr. Arbery running up to the pickup truck and the father and son. IOW, Arbery was not chased down"
MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 4:54 pm

Watch your own video yourself. The commentary clearly states that the two men "chased after him". They overtook him and stopped.
Did you watch it or just start opining?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Darren

Post by Darren »

Looks like the man who played football in high school was still quite an athlete. That's a 26 mile run. That's outstanding for a daily jog. At 6 mph that's more than 4 hours of running. If he'd ran down the interstate it would have been quite a bit shorter.

Thank you RBG wherever you are!

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Georgia AG requests federal probe in handling of Arbery case

ATLANTA (AP) — Georgia’s attorney general on Sunday asked the U.S. Department of Justice to investigate the handling of the killing of Ahmaud Arbery, a black man who authorities say died at the hands of two white men as he ran through a neighborhood.

Arbery was shot and killed Feb. 23. No arrests were made until this month after national outrage over the case swelled when video surfaced that appeared to show the shooting.

“We are committed to a complete and transparent review of how the Ahmaud Arbery case was handled from the outset,” Attorney General Chris Carr said in a statement. “The family, the community and the state of Georgia deserve answers, and we will work with others in law enforcement at the state and federal level to find those answers.”
More:

https://apnews.com/b6c81596c4f90e060671fd1c72428376

Under the circumstances, definitely the right move. Kudos to the Georgia AG for making the decision swiftly, and not dragging his feet about it.
ImageImageImage

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

USA Today claims: "Arbery was killed in February about 2 miles from his home in a neighborhood outside Brunswick, Georgia"

So, Darren. On what basis do you say he was running from 5700 Altama Avenue? Can you please provide further corroboration? Note for accuracy: running via I95 is in fact half a mile further in distance than taking back streets.

And while I'm here,
MajGenl.Meade wrote: ↑
Sun May 10, 2020 6:54 pm

Watch your own video yourself. The commentary clearly states that the two men "chased after him". They overtook him and stopped.

Did you watch it and miss hearing that? Or did you just fart out that they didn't chase after him?
<crickets>
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Not sure I trust this DOJ to do anything but whitewash the entire matter, however.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Lord Jim

Post by Lord Jim »

Scooter wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:36 pm
Not sure I trust this DOJ to do anything but whitewash the entire matter, however.
I thought about that, but the FBI field agents are still people of integrity and professionalism...

I have every confidence they will conduct an honest and thorough investigation. If there is any politically-corrupted chicanery involved,it will come higher up in the process.

FBI Director Chris Wray has continued to show some measure of independence from Trump, but of course his boss, the most politically corrupt AG in American history, could get involved and then Trump himself might as well have written the final report...
ImageImageImage

Darren

Post by Darren »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:33 pm
USA Today claims: "Arbery was killed in February about 2 miles from his home in a neighborhood outside Brunswick, Georgia"

So, Darren. On what basis do you say he was running from 5700 Altama Avenue? Can you please provide further corroboration? Note for accuracy: running via I95 is in fact half a mile further in distance than taking back streets.

And while I'm here,
MajGenl.Meade wrote: ↑
Sun May 10, 2020 6:54 pm

Watch your own video yourself. The commentary clearly states that the two men "chased after him".

Did you watch it and miss hearing that? Or did you just fart out that they didn't chase after him?
<crickets>
Abery lived with his mother. That's her address. Unless he was occasionally staying somewhere else that's the origin of his daily jogs per her statement. That's an impressive daily jog without socks.

You are correct about the men going after him. They must have pulled down the road in front of him while he was jogging and stopped the truck. Why he didn't continue jogging past the truck we'll never know.

Instead of continuing his jogging he decided to cut in front of the stopped truck. Either the son with the shotgun decided to grapple with Abery or Abery decided to grapple with the son while the son was holding the shotgun. There were no shots until they were grappling.

Based on the multiple shots the shotgun was a semi-auto. It was to Abery's misfortune he didn't understand the ramifications. Nor did he understand the potential outcome if he made the decision to take the shotgun away from the son because he still had twelve miles to run home and didn't want to be disturbed.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Fair enough.

USA Today also reports: "Arbery's family says he was jogging in the Satilla Shores neighborhood on Feb. 23. Arbery lived with his mother about 2 miles from where he was killed"

Aljazeera reports: ""I do believe that Ahmaud was just out for his daily jog," Wanda Cooper Jones, Ahmaud Arbery's mother, said. "I have believed that since day one. He's been doing this for years."

I'm keen to learn where you obtained a specific street, building number and unit number from. Please advise further.

RayThom

Ahmaud Arbery, Etal.

Post by RayThom »

But wait, there's more.

Apparently it's still open season on black people just trying to get along.

I wonder if they charged the house with tiki torches in hand?

Darren, what's your take on this, is it encroachment on white people's rights?

Ex-Deputy Charged After Armed White ‘Mob’ Confronts Black Family
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/10/us/N ... acism.html
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Beat ya to it by a coupla hours, Ray. I'm hurt that you didn't notice. I'll copy your post below and attach it to mine. Looks like we're chatting. Nice

Darren

Post by Darren »

Lord Jim wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:43 pm
Scooter wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 2:36 pm
I thought about that, but the FBI field agents are still people of integrity and professionalism...

I have every confidence they will conduct an honest and thorough investigation. If there is any politically-corrupted chicanery involved,it will come higher up in the process.

FBI Director Chris Wray has continued to show some measure of independence from Trump, but of course his boss, the most politically corrupt AG in American history, could get involved and then Trump himself might as well have written the final report...
I disagree about Wray. Did he ever release the Parkland report?

Darren

Post by Darren »

The scenes are from the camera at the house under construction from earlier dates. It's the one that Abery ran from and resumed his jogging before being killed. I wonder if under GA law you need to wear something reflective when jogging at night.

RayThom

Ahmaud Arbery

Post by RayThom »

Darren wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:32 pm
The scenes are from the camera at the house under construction from earlier dates. It's the one that Abery ran from and resumed his jogging before being killed. I wonder if under GA law you need to wear something reflective when jogging at night.
Day or night, what does it matter? There is nothing he was doing that would justify his murder.

As the development where I now live was under construction, on occasion I would wander around, curious as to how it was all being built. I never stole a thing.
Ahmaud's actions at this empty home under construction were in no way a felony under Georgia law. This video confirms that Mr. Arbery's murder was not justified and the actions of the men who pursued him and ambushed him were unjustified," the family's lawyers said in a statement."
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/vi ... r-n1204011
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Oh.... I can see now why Arbery was shot. People should never stop and look at a home that's under construction while they're out jogging. He was probably planning to steal a bedroom or kitchen or something like that.

Darren

Post by Darren »

RayThom wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:48 pm
Darren wrote:
Mon May 11, 2020 11:32 pm
Day or night, what does it matter? There is nothing he was doing that would justify his murder.

As the development where I now live was under construction, on occasion I would wander around, curious as to how it was all being built. I never stole a thing.
Ahmaud's actions at this empty home under construction were in no way a felony under Georgia law. This video confirms that Mr. Arbery's murder was not justified and the actions of the men who pursued him and ambushed him were unjustified," the family's lawyers said in a statement."
https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/vi ... r-n1204011
Day or night may play a part in the jogging excuse as mentioned by his mother. Unless I'm on the project I don't routinely walk through ongoing construction whether any one is on site or not.

I've been on too many where something was stolen. I don't want to be on the list of suspects. Often it's one craft worker stealing from another worker in another craft or removing something that was already installed for their own use at home.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

And the fact that he was at a construction site on some earlier occasion, where video evidence proves he neither took nor disturbed anything, is justification for attempting to take him hostage and slaughtering him in the street, how, again?

-- Author unknown

Darren

Post by Darren »

Scooter wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 12:20 am
And the fact that he was at a construction site on some earlier occasion, where video evidence proves he neither took nor disturbed anything, is justification for attempting to take him hostage and slaughtering him in the street, how, again?
Under Georgia law which allows for citizen arrests, the neighbor's sighting may constitute probable cause due to the burglaries in the area.

My comment was directed at the mother's explanation for her son's presence in the neighborhood because he jogged daily even at night as recently revealed.

As for the slaughter when you go to yank a shotgun away from someone make sure their finger isn't on the trigger. Doing that repeatedly when it's a semi-auto is a really dumb ass thing to do.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Darren wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:03 am
Under Georgia law which allows for citizen arrests, the neighbor's sighting may constitute probable cause due to the burglaries in the area.
Bzzzt, wrong. Georgia Code only allows a private person to make an arrest "if the offense is committed in his presence or within his immediate knowledge", to which none of these "burglaries" (for which there are conveniently no police reports) nor this alleged "trespass" applies.
As for the slaughter when you go to yank a shotgun away from someone make sure their finger isn't on the trigger. Doing that repeatedly when it's a semi-auto is a really dumb ass thing to do.
So if a pair of thugs with no legal basis for detaining you (see above) attempt to take you hostage with weapons, you have no right to attempt to thwart them in the commission of that crime. Interesting spin on the law that you have there. Let's transport this to another scenario, shall we? Your girlfriend the dog groomer is being raped at gunpoint. By your logic, if she gets shot trying to wrestle the gun away from her attacker, it's not her rapist that would be guilty of felony murder, rather it would be her fault that she tried to disarm her rapist.

-- Author unknown

Darren

Post by Darren »

Scooter wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:28 am
Darren wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 1:03 am
Bzzzt, wrong. Georgia Code only allows a private person to make an arrest "if the offense is committed in his presence or within his immediate knowledge", to which none of these "burglaries" (for which there are conveniently no police reports) nor this alleged "trespass" applies.
So if a pair of thugs with no legal basis for detaining you (see above) attempt to take you hostage with weapons, you have no right to attempt to thwart them in the commission of that crime. Interesting spin on the law that you have there. Let's transport this to another scenario, shall we? Your girlfriend the dog groomer is being raped at gunpoint. By your logic, if she gets shot trying to wrestle the gun away from her attacker, it's not her rapist that would be guilty of felony murder, rather it would be her fault that she tried to disarm her rapist. ??????
The immediate knowledge is what the jury will have to consider. The police were called and arrived soon after the shooting. If PC exists based on the police call and the sighting, the next issue is did Abery assault the holder of the shotgun. All Abery had to do was put his hands up and wait for the police to arrive. It was broad daylight with several witnesses.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Immediate knowledge of what? These alleged "burglaries" (with no police reports to corroborate their existence) were not witnessed by either thug. Nor was this alleged "trespass" (which doesn't rise to the level of a felony, so irrelevant anyway).

Sure, all Arbery had to do was take the word of two thugs trying to hold him hostage at gunpoint that they meant him no harm. Yeah, I'm sure I would have believed that in his place. :roll: :loon :roll:

How did your girlfriend the dog groomer take it when you told her that she would be at fault for getting shot if she didn't comply with the demands of her rapist?

-- Author unknown