Ahmaud Arbery

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
eddieq

Re: Ahmaud Arbery

Post by eddieq »

I got pulled over before because I 'matched the description". I even have received tickets in the past. I enjoy a run in my community, sometimes down side streets a few miles from my home. Clearly, I deserve to be shot dead in the street because of all of these things. I apologize for remaining unmurdered.

Darren

Post by Darren »

Big RR wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 4:41 pm
We know Arbery had earlier run ins with the law. Is the media showing the photo comparison below? Nope!

And what difference does that make? Even if he did, did the jerks who shot him know anything about that? Two guys shoot and kill a black man running down the street, and you say they were justified because he had previous legal problems? Please. It's about as relevant as what he ate for dinner 6 months ago. :lol:
BoxSox Girl already covered that in part. As to justification for the killing, look at the videos uploaded by the Black men especially Tatum. He has some inside sources.

As for the photo comparison, that goes to manipulation. Are your opinions really your own or are they a media message you've accepted as truth?

Keep in mind the media message is saying the father and son are guilty contrary to our supposed innocent until proven guilty legal system.

In each case the two Blacks would not comment on whether the two white men were innocent or guilty. So why do you presume guilt if two Black men who experienced racism did not?

When you're angry do you ever consider why you're angry? What caused that?

Simply being against racism isn't the answer. You're assuming racism played a part in the incident.

What if it didn't? Was it racism because rednecks are always racist and the pictures of the two men in orange fit your image of rednecks?

One of the smartest men I met would be considered a redneck from appearance. If you got into an extended conversation his intellect went way beyond what his appearance would belie.

Have you ever seen the videos of the famous musicians busking on a sidewalk or in a subway. People walk by and pay them no mind. What are you missing?

Thank you RBG wherever you are!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

In each case the two Blacks would not comment on whether the two white men were innocent or guilty. So why do you presume guilt if two Black men who experienced racism did not?
Because I could pretty easily find you two people of any gender or race you specify to say they were taken captive by aliens, are tormented by demons, or any manner of things--so what?
You're assuming racism played a part in the incident.
Not really, I'm assuming two cop/gestapo wannabes felt they had to enforce the law and killed someone. That it was in the south and they were white and he was black makes me seriously consider that racism played a part, but even if it didn't, so what? Is he no a human being who had his life taken by a couple of jerks who had no damn business interfering with him at all--they just wanted to be tough guys. And I'm not giving them a pass on that. And it's not because of what they looked like, it's because of what they did.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

What’s funny to me in this thread is that over in that other thread about petty property crimes allegedly committed by a recognizance released defendant in California, several posters were advocating physical violence up to and including shooting the misdemeanor property thief sans trial/due process. Some of the same are outraged over the red necks in Georgia doing exactly that - making an assumption of guilt and cutting straight to execution.

At least some of us are consistently against the application of physical violence as retribution for alleged property crimes.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Darren

Post by Darren »

Comments by the man who took the video.

Darren

Post by Darren »

As an update, based on property records for the county, the house is new construction and not a renovation which may change the law that applies.

Darren

Post by Darren »

The McMichaels are in deep shit based on this analysis that says there was no probable cause. The man goes on to say Averby had a right to defend himself because the McMichael son was the aggressor.

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Drivel wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 2:33 am
The McMichaels are in deep shit based on this analysis that says there was no probable cause. The man goes on to say Averby had a right to defend himself because the McMichael son was the aggressor.
AVERBY? Really?

Anyone reading this, be sure to recognize the contempt this prolifically 'supercilious' writer has for this dead man.

I'm disgusted by his complete lack of regard for the victim by the purposeful misspelling of his name.

Please stop feeding the troll, it cheapens us all.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Darren wrote:

Apart from your misspelling of Arbery's name, I don't disagree with your comment. I'm not keen on the guy's T-shirt but that's immaterial to the point.

Darren

Post by Darren »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 4:26 am
Darren wrote:

Apart from your misspelling of Arbery's name, I don't disagree with your comment. I'm not keen on the guy's T-shirt but that's immaterial to the point.
One of the other men in a video said he believed the two defendants were guilty at best of manslaughter. Now that the DOJ is involved a hate crime prosecution is very possible. The technicalities of what's required for probable cause may be the end of any defense they had.

While the autopsy report was released, only some of the findings are on the internet. The original police report is also available. One surprise is how many witnesses there were and how many police were on scene. The person who videoed the encounter was interviewed by the GBI for five hours.

I'm surprised the police were either not thorough, gave their buddy the benefit of the doubt, did not understand the law or the inability to present the case to a grand jury with the prosecutor recusals played a part in the McMichaels remaining free for so long.

There's quite a bit of conflicting information which makes the incident even more interesting. Contrary to reports of Arbery being an electrician trainee, one source says he never held a full time job. You can go either way with how you may interpret this based on Arbery's criminal history and that of his brothers. Is that admissible at trial?

This may end up as a media battle with Benjamin Crump already setting the scene with the defense attorney facing an uphill battle in the face of the publicity. I don't envy the judge.

FWIW, the current address of Arbery's mother is about eight miles from the Satilla Shores neighborhood. That is in the police report. The other issue based on the autopsy is the number of shotgun pellets indicate buck shot which may weigh against the defendants. Arbery never had a chance when hit by those loads.

The prosecutors recusing themselves is the smart thing to do given their involvement with McMichael as a police officer and investigator. That was clearly stated in the letters asking for an outside prosecutor. While the press says the time before action was unacceptable, the lockdown in the State of Georgia screwed things up along with the multiple, as should be, recusals.

liberty

Post by liberty »

Wasn’t there a black coach that killed a man in New York City awhile for being drunk while white? As I remember no one here cared; it was the fault of the drunk for having a soft head.

As for this case, let's have an unbiased investigation unless you want to forgo the legality and just lynch them. Do you trust the Georgia state police to conduct a fair investigation?

And for the record, I don’t like citizen’s arrest laws; just because someone is a citizen and is capable of arresting a person doesn’t mean they can be trusted to do the right thing.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

liberty wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:50 am
And for the record, I don’t like citizen’s arrest laws; just because someone is a citizen and is capable of arresting a person doesn’t mean they can be trusted to do the right thing.
No, just let them exercise their Second Amendment rights to walk around ⃥p⃥a⃥c⃥k⃥i⃥n⃥g⃥ ⃥h⃥e⃥a⃥t⃥  sorry, 'bearing arms' so that they can shoot first, shoot later, reload and shoot some more, and then, after everyone is dead, try to ask a couple of questions.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

liberty wrote:
Thu May 14, 2020 5:50 am
Wasn’t there a black coach that killed a man in New York City awhile for being drunk while white? As I remember no one here cared; it was the fault of the drunk for having a soft head.
Link please.

OK I looked it up. Jamill Jones (I recall the case now) was convicted of assault. His sentencing (1 year max) has been postponed due to CoV. The victim was BAC 0.39 (i.e, around 5x the driving limit) and had apparently smashed the back window of Jones' car while he was driving with his fiancee. Jones decked him and he hit his head on the curb when he went down. I'm not defending Jones' actions but it looks to me as if the investigation, the charge and the possible sentence are about right.

https://www.si.com/college/2020/03/23/j ... atal-punch
https://apnews.com/ab78a33eab223ccebaa89b48225d5f34
As for this case, let's have an unbiased investigation unless you want to forgo the legality and just lynch them. Do you trust the Georgia state police to conduct a fair investigation?
I think an unbiased investigation is what we all want. Never looked as if it was going to happen. When was the last time GA cops had a video of a couple of black guys shooting a white guy who was running by their truck, and he wasn't arrested? So yes please let's have a fair investigation. Do I trust the state cops? Not sure: let's see what they find.
I'm in general agreement with that point. The video Darren linked explains the GA laws quite well - correction: I don't know the GA laws, but what the video explains seems like a reasonable set of circumstances under which a citizen's arrest can be effected.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

More news about McMichael Sr. Yes he was a cop, but he was too fucking thick to attend the 20 hours of continuing education he needed every year to maintain his cop credentials.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... el-records

Darren

Post by Darren »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 12:50 am
More news about McMichael Sr. Yes he was a cop, but he was too fucking thick to attend the 20 hours of continuing education he needed every year to maintain his cop credentials.

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/202 ... el-records
He blew off his firearms recertification for several years too. The prosecutor got him a waiver the last time. Then McMichael retired the following year.

McMichael is screwed. He'll spend the rest of his retirement in prison. I'm curious why McMichael's attorney released the video. Was he trying to taint the jury pool? At first glance it looks like the lawyer's a dumb ass. Does he think McMichael's knowledge of Abery criminal history supports probable cause?

That doesn't seem applicable based on the analysis in one video.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Darren wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 3:15 am
I'm curious why McMichael's attorney released the video. Was he trying to taint the jury pool? At first glance it looks like the lawyer's a dumb ass. Does he think McMichael's knowledge of Abery criminal history supports probable cause?
Do you mean this video or did I miss one?
The lawyer for the Georgia man who recorded video of two white men shooting Ahmaud Arbery says his client was a witness to the crime and has cooperated with police in the investigation.

The director of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation said Friday it was looking into all people involved in the Arbery case, including the person who shot the video, William "Roddie" Bryan.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 102505001/
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Darren

Post by Darren »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 4:52 am
Darren wrote:
I'm curious why McMichael's attorney released the video. Was he trying to taint the jury pool? At first glance it looks like the lawyer's a dumb ass. Does he think McMichael's knowledge of Abery criminal history supports probable cause?
Do you mean this video or did I miss one?
The lawyer for the Georgia man who recorded video of two white men shooting Ahmaud Arbery says his client was a witness to the crime and has cooperated with police in the investigation.

The director of the Georgia Bureau of Investigation said Friday it was looking into all people involved in the Arbery case, including the person who shot the video, William "Roddie" Bryan.
https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nat ... 102505001/
That's not the complete video. The outtakes are interesting along with the other material. That's what happened in the Trayvon Martin case. The media had pronounced Zimmerman guilty before the trial. Same with the MacMichaels.

The Georgia jogger has a nice ring too it. Even if Arbery was checking out construction sites for tools he could borrow he shouldn't have been killed. I don't think exercise was his only reason for being out and about.

The other issue is one of the MacMichales turning the body over to check for a gun. That sounds a bit bogus. How does that fit with police procedure to keep a crime scene intact?

I have no doubt MacMichael knew about Arbery's previous conviction for attempting to jog into a school basketball game with a handgun and then jog rapidly away with the police in pursuit. As a felon Arbery could not have a gun. That brings up whether or not any exist at his mother's house since his two brothers have had legal issues too.

MajGenl.Meade

I shot the video but I did not shoot the jogger

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

No Darren - you missed the point
Darren wrote:
I'm curious why McMichael's attorney released the video
McMichael's attorney did not turn over the video
The lawyer for the Georgia man who recorded video of two white men shooting Ahmaud Arbery says his client was a witness to the crime and has cooperated with police in the investigation [that is, the lawyer for William "Roddie" Bryan]
If you cannot correctly state a simple and well-known fact, why do you expect us to think you are even in the neighborhood of truth?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Darren

Re: I shot the video but I did not shoot the jogger

Post by Darren »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 2:52 pm
No Darren - you missed the point
Darren wrote:
I'm curious why McMichael's attorney released the video
McMichael's attorney did not turn over the video
The lawyer for the Georgia man who recorded video of two white men shooting Ahmaud Arbery says his client was a witness to the crime and has cooperated with police in the investigation [that is, the lawyer for William "Roddie" Bryan]
If you cannot correctly state a simple and well-known fact, why do you expect us to think you are even in the neighborhood of truth?
Thank you for that. I'll revisit that.

RayThom

Re: I shot the video but I did not shoot the jogger

Post by RayThom »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 2:52 pm
No Darren - you missed the point...
I doubt if Darren ever misses a point, he just chooses to ignore them. "The point" usually means "facts" and they totally interfere with his agenda.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.”