Trump for the win in November.

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
BoSoxGal

Re: Trump for the win in November.

Post by BoSoxGal »

Darren wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:37 pm
Who needs polls?

NPR has maps breaking down donations to Trump & Biden by county. As Gomer Pyle would say, "Surprise, surprise, surprise."

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/20/85834747 ... 0-election
Didn’t I read somewhere that it’s just 400 families that finance the majority of the presidential elections cycles?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Just watching Trump's live press conference. He's just told us that house prices went up 21% last month. The man's a moron. What went up 21% was house sales not prices - June was up 21% on May which is hardly surprising.

And BTW he's canceled the Jacksonville RNC convention. Back to NC. Well fuck me.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

He’s also saying he acknowledges schools can’t open in many places.

I don’t like this pivot to rationality; I hope he follows his inherent nature back onto the crazy town skids soon.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

The was an interesting piece in today's NYT about who he wants (or is at least considering) for the Federal Reserve Board. This is someone who wants, among other things, to return us to the gold standard. The man is a fucking moron.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

"If you're going to act like a traitor, YOU don't get to thank US for our service."

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Darren

Post by Darren »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:56 pm
Darren wrote:
Thu Jul 23, 2020 9:37 pm
Who needs polls?

NPR has maps breaking down donations to Trump & Biden by county. As Gomer Pyle would say, "Surprise, surprise, surprise."

https://www.npr.org/2020/05/20/85834747 ... 0-election
Didn’t I read somewhere that it’s just 400 families that finance the majority of the presidential elections cycles?
There's about 3,500 counties/parishes in the country. Looks like more are donating to Trump than Biden.
Thank you RBG wherever you are!

Darren

Post by Darren »

Nicholas Sandmann hit the lottery courtesy of the Washington Post's defamation.

"The newspaper, which was accused of defaming the Kentucky teen with its coverage of the incident, also confirmed the settlement.

“We are pleased that we have been able to reach a mutually agreeable resolution of the remaining claims in the lawsuit,” said Washington Post spokesperson Kris Coratti in an email."

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Darren wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 6:25 pm
Nicholas Sandmann hit the lottery courtesy of the Washington Post's defamation.

"The newspaper, which was accused of defaming the Kentucky teen with its coverage of the incident, also confirmed the settlement.

“We are pleased that we have been able to reach a mutually agreeable resolution of the remaining claims in the lawsuit,” said Washington Post spokesperson Kris Coratti in an email."

Gloating much, Darren .... or just jealous because it wasn't you?  And for the record (and until the full details come out, which most likely will never happen), "reaching a settlement" is hardly the same as "hitting the lottery".  Just because he and his hired jackals filed a multi-million dollar lawsuit doesn't mean that's what he ended up with.

Case in point .... all these lawyers promoting the 'Round-up', or the 'Boy Scout abuse', or (lately) the 'ramitidine (Zantac)' lawsuits citing multi-million dollar settlements and warning that "time is running out for you to file a claim", and that "we only collect if you win".  What they AREN'T telling you is that the settlement has already been reached and that you are just signing up to be one more name on the list of 'class-action claimants', and when they finally get around to divvying up the settlement pot (after the lawyers get their FIRST cut of the pie) you'll be lucky to get enough money to fill the tank of your car.  But you did "win" something, so this latest bunch of legal sons-of-bitches will be able to rake off a second helping of the pudding.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Darren

Post by Darren »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:53 pm

Gloating much, Darren .... or just jealous because it wasn't you?  And for the record (and until the full details come out, which most likely will never happen), "reaching a settlement" is hardly the same as "hitting the lottery".  Just because he and his hired jackals filed a multi-million dollar lawsuit doesn't mean that's what he ended up with.
I'm glad to see irresponsible so-called journalism penalized. Even the Post acknowledged the initial "reporting" had been contradicted. If that's gloating, yeah, I'm gloating.

Someone got the incident on video and because of apparent hatred for Trump, "Is this how you make America great?" inadvertently (hopefully) caused the media to run with a false narrative. When media organizations no longer fact check and present a balanced account but instead report opinion as news they deserve the ramifications.

To summarize, winning the lawsuit proved the story reported by the media was FAKE NEWS.

"To win his lawsuit, Sandmann must demonstrate that what was written about him was false. He will face what Kristine Coratti Kelly, a spokesperson for the Post, told me would be “a vigorous defense.” The newspaper has not yet filed a response to the suit, but it published an editor’s note on March 1 saying that its first story has been contradicted by subsequent reporting."

https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/ar ... st/583972/

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Are you an active dissembler of misinformation or just an idiot?
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Darren

Post by Darren »

Crackpot wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 12:25 pm
Are you an active dissembler of misinformation or just an idiot?
Are you saying Sandmann did not win the lawsuit?

Are you saying he confronted Philips?

Was it perhaps the initial video that entrapped a willing media that you find, in your "impartiality", difficult to disbelieve?

What was incorrect in my post?
Last edited by Darren on Sat Jul 25, 2020 4:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

I’n Saying this is old news that came out before the story oft the news cycle and is not the great proof of “fake news you claim it is.

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Now answer my question

Darren

Post by Darren »

"The Trump Administration has announced four executive orders to lower drug prices, but health policy experts say they will likely offer patients only minimal relief and may take months to implement, if they're implemented at all.

The orders signed Friday afternoon included allowing certain drugs to be imported from Canada and making changes to the way discounts negotiated by middlemen called pharmacy benefit managers are passed on to Medicare patients.

The most radical order involves requiring Medicare to pay the same price for some drugs — the ones patients receive in the hospital as part of Medicare Part B — that other countries pay. However, Trump said he is giving the pharmaceutical industry until Aug. 24 to make a deal with him before he implements it."

https://www.npr.org/2020/07/24/89529037 ... rug-prices

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Trump is sure kissing-arses all over, ain't he? Surprised he doesn't just out and offer people cash money - he can probably borrow it somewhere and then welsh on the debt, as is his habit.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

"However, Trump said he is giving the pharmaceutical industry until Aug. 24 to make a deal with him before he implements it."

God @The Tweet of God

Darren

Post by Darren »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:07 pm
Trump is sure kissing-arses all over, ain't he? Surprised he doesn't just out and offer people cash money - he can probably borrow it somewhere and then welsh on the debt, as is his habit.
That's on the way in the next month or so with the next stimulus package. Come to think of it, Congress is buying votes too! :lol:

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:07 pm
Could you not just use the word renege, from the Latin negare (‘to deny’), rather than a word that is insulting to an entire ethnicity/nationality of people?

I’ll assume you didn’t know better; now that you do, I hope being as heart full of love as you are, you’ll choose different language in future.
~ Carl Sagan

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Fri Jul 24, 2020 11:53 pm
Case in point .... all these lawyers promoting the 'Round-up', or the 'Boy Scout abuse', or (lately) the 'ramitidine (Zantac)' lawsuits citing multi-million dollar settlements and warning that "time is running out for you to file a claim", and that "we only collect if you win".  What they AREN'T telling you is that the settlement has already been reached and that you are just signing up to be one more name on the list of 'class-action claimants', and when they finally get around to divvying up the settlement pot (after the lawyers get their FIRST cut of the pie) you'll be lucky to get enough money to fill the tank of your car.  But you did "win" something, so this latest bunch of legal sons-of-bitches will be able to rake off a second helping of the pudding.
This description is so wildly wrong I don't even know where to start. First off, neither the Round-up nor the ranitidine litigations (nor any of the other "mass tort" personal injury litigations you see advertised on TV) are settled. The Boy Scout matter isn't "settled" either, but since the BSA filed for bankruptcy those claims are now being administered as bankruptcy claims and there most certainly is a looming deadline (Nov. 16) for filing a proof-of claim, after which claims will be barred. In failure-to-warn cases generally (including virtually all pharma products cases) there are deadlines for filing claims based on the date the product actually first started carrying a warning. In Round-up (as in many other hazardous products cases) some law firms have reached "global" settlements on behalf of their clients, others are still actively litigating. And in any event no, you are not "just signing up to be one more name on the list of 'class-action claimants'", since 1) personal injury litigation cannot be brought as a class action and 2) that's not how a class action works anyway -- you don't "sign up" to be a class member; there is a class representative in whose name the case is brought on behalf of all similarly situated people, and you are by definition already a class member if you are one of those people who suffered the same harm. (Depending on the case the ultimate settlement may be structured as either "opt-in" or "opt-out," but that's whole separate thing.) And in class actions the lawyers' fees are determined by the court based on a number of factors, including among others the difficulty of the litigation, the number of hours spent on it, and the value brought to the class of claimants. There is no "second helping."
Darren wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 11:35 am
I'm glad to see irresponsible so-called journalism penalized. Even the Post acknowledged the initial "reporting" had been contradicted. If that's gloating, yeah, I'm gloating.

Someone got the incident on video and because of apparent hatred for Trump, "Is this how you make America great?" inadvertently (hopefully) caused the media to run with a false narrative. When media organizations no longer fact check and present a balanced account but instead report opinion as news they deserve the ramifications.

To summarize, winning the lawsuit proved the story reported by the media was FAKE NEWS.

"To win his lawsuit, Sandmann must demonstrate that what was written about him was false. He will face what Kristine Coratti Kelly, a spokesperson for the Post, told me would be “a vigorous defense.” The newspaper has not yet filed a response to the suit, but it published an editor’s note on March 1 saying that its first story has been contradicted by subsequent reporting."
Sandmann did not "win" his lawsuit. The case was settled for an undisclosed sum. There are many reasons for settlement, most often including the fact that continued litigation would be a lot more expensive than anything you could hope to ultimately recover in a verdict (if you are the claimant) and paying a settlement would be a lot cheaper than litigating all the way to a judgment (for the defendant) -- not to mention the costs and delays of an appeal if the case ever actually went to verdict.

It is unlikely that the Post or any media outlet would ultimately be found liable for defamation, which is notoriously hard to prove. Being photographed or filmed in a public place is not defamation; being inaccurately described in the photograph or film is not defamation. And even if it were proven that Sandmann was somehow "defamed," what are his losses? A jury can't just make up damages. What has he provably lost in monetary terms by being so "defamed"? What could the amount of any potential recovery be? It looks like he has actually made out rather well for himself as a result of this publicity; he might actually owe the Post some money for his windfall.
GAH!