Trump for the win in November.

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Joe Guy

Re: Trump for the win in November.

Post by Joe Guy »

That was a cheap shot.

dales

Post by dales »

Yes it was, my apologies.

How is MAGA coming along in RWC?

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 6:43 pm
making personal attacks on the horrible human being who dared to challenge his perfect vision of himself as master of language and charitable endeavor.

Yeah, I am continually boasting about charitable endeavor. Everyone's sick of it, right gang?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

Joe Guy wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:40 pm
Damn!! From the reaction I'm seeing about Meade's usage of the word 'Welsh" being offensive, it seems it's as bad as if he had yelled the word Renege at a basketball game.
Yet the only Welsh person here does not find it offensive, how odd...
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’m 1/4 Welsh, thanks very much - and have just as much right to speak to the offensiveness of the slur as you do, even if I was zero percent Welsh.

Clearly the examples I’ve provided show that plenty of Welsh people living in Wales find it offensive.

Anyway it’s a bullshit argument tactic to point to an example of persons who tolerate oppression and racism as evidence that said oppression and racism is A OK. It’s the argument of a stupid schoolboy mentality.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

wesw

Post by wesw »

give it up, meade.

y0u d0n t stand a chinaman s chance in hell 0f having a sensible debate with that br0ad.....

she argues m0re than a drunken irishman.

...and makes less sense...

w0men are s0 em0ti0nal

i think that she is 0ne quarter hillbilly.....

a l0t 0f hillbillies are welsh....

c0me t0 think 0f it..., they were indian-givers t00!!!!!

welched 0n their deals they did!!!

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I remember now why I put Wes on ignore.

When I lived in Wales (early 70s, Swansea), I recall being in a discussion about the word and its use. There was a general opposition to the common folk etymology of the usage and there were theories (I don't recall whether I heard them then or have read them since) that due to differences between English law and Welsh law, someone being pursued for a gambling debt could escape to Wales where the English writ did not run. I don't know if that opposition was based on real study or if it was just an understandable reluctance to accept a historic label, however undeserved.

Somewhere in my basement I have Brewer's Dictionary of Phrase and Fable - actually I have both the 1970 edition and one from around 2000. I see online that the two earliest editions - 1870 and 1895 - have the 'Taffy was a Welshman, Taffy was a thief' etymology. I'd be interested to see if more recent editions share that view. I also have a very early edition of Partridge's Dictionary of Slang. If I find them I'll let you know.

Regardless, I avoid the word just as I avoid verbs like 'gyp' and 'jew' which have similar derogatory meanings with less controversy about the derivation. I've certainly heard both those words used by people who sought to know better in the last 10 - 15 years.

I understand Gob's point of view. I'm Scottish - by birth at least. And that nation has historically been assumed to be tight with money. If someone assumed that, because I am Scots I must be a skinflint, I'd be insulted. If someone made such a remark in my presence, I'd probably just conclude that it says more about him than about me. I'd most likely say something like "BTW, I'm Scottish" but I doubt that I'd suggest a duel.

Long Run

Post by Long Run »

Not enough clean mountain air or antioxidants to save these offenders:

Darren

Post by Darren »

I've mentioned this previously. Biden ain't getting the Black vote he needs nor the Latino vote. Add to that Trump supporters aren't responding to polls.

https://uncoverdc.com/2020/07/27/ignore ... important/
Thank you RBG wherever you are!

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Yeah they’re gonna vote for a Manic depressive who can’t even follow through enough to get on the ballot of the state he held his first rally in
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

There's an argument to be made that the antics of the lunatic left (or just plain anarchists), infiltrating legitimate protest marches, are having a negative effect on anti-Trump sentiment. While I could never bring myself to vote for the beast, he strikes a chord with his tireless refrain about the destruction of civil society (not that he represents it).

I find an atavistic urge to want people who set fire to police stations, courthouses, stores - to want looters - to be shot. It's that simple. Shoot a few and the others will melt away. At the same time, I hate that idea. People are worth more than property. Justice and right are not served by arbitrary decisions of execution.

But that struggle goes on. It's a struggle that anarchy wants to exist. There are those out there who have a political ideal of struggle that has nothing to do with justice for all people and everything to do with anti-capitalism - they are for neither Biden nor Trump. Since there is no voting option for chaos, they create it without regard to the lives of fello citizens.

I fear that a large number of anti-Trump voters will be encouraged by these urban terrorists to simply not vote. Let Trump win and kill 'em all - not my fault! That's the kind of reaction that I'm afraid of - whether in me or in thousands or millions of others.

When I review again the 2016 Democrat platform (still current and to be 'upgraded' at the 2020 Convention), there's not much in there that I support and a lot that I oppose. Still, I voted for Hillary (and for as many Republicans in local/state/national elections that I could). As November 3 approaches, I'm not sure that there's anyone on the ticket who speaks for me.

And I'm not alone in that, I feel certain.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

While I understand your point, I certainly hope this is not widespread; indeed, people should take their frustration more out on their state and local officials (over whom they have more direct influence) then rely on a would be dictator seeking to usurp their authority to govern.

And lest you feel the least bit tempted to vote for Trump, look at the photos of the kids separated from their families and put in cages by ICE; anyone who would do that to a child does not deserve to be elected president or be in any position of authority (and while I am not a supporter of capital punishment in any form, I could understand a claim that his presidency deserves to be terminated with extreme prejudice). Certainly, the situation is that a few downtown areas and businesses are being destroyed, and this is not a trivial thing; but it pales in comparison to the lives being destroyed by the stroke of a pen and a failure to care about children as human beings.

wesw

Post by wesw »

f c0urse sc0tsmen were and are fam0us f0r efficiency in the industrial age.

m0re pr0duct , less time and eff0rt.

deny that 0ne , Mac......

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

"Trump for the win in November."

...or December...

...or whenever...?

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

A quick thread on just how difficult it would be to delay the election:
The date was set by Congress in 1845. It cannot be changed without an act of Congress, which means getting Nancy Pelosi to sign off. Good luck with that!
Even if the bill somehow got through the Democratic House and the Republican Senate without facing a filibuster, there are other practical issues that would have to be decided.
The election isn't just about November 3. States also need time to count the ballots -- which could take days or even weeks if mail-in voting surges in states that haven't historically done a lot of it.
They need to count those ballots and certify them by mid-December, when the so-called "safe harbor" deadline -- the date that Congress agrees to accept a state's electoral slate without question.
The new Congress, which don't forget is also on the ballot in November, has to be sworn in on Jan. 3, 2021. One of their first duties is to formally accept the Electoral College results.
And then you have inauguration date -- Jan. 20, 2021 -- which isn't just set by law. It's in the Constitution!
Here's a crazy thought experiment, but if somehow the election wasn't held and there were no electors, then Trump's term expires on Jan. 20 and the chain of succession kicks in, which means President Nancy Pelosi, unless Democrats pick a new speaker before then.
If you want to get even wilder, the House speaker doesn't even have to be a member of the House, so Democrats could choose Joe Biden as their speaker on Jan. 19 and he'd be inaugurated the following day!
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

From a comment in a thread on Facebook: "Let me just point out that we need to read between the lines, here. It's not just that he's suggesting that the election be delayed but, don't worry, he doesn't have to power to do so, he is declaring almost explicitly that if the election proceeds as scheduled, he will contest its validity and refuse to leave."
God @The Tweet of God

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Long Run wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:19 pm
Not enough clean mountain air or antioxidants to save these offenders:

How'd the West Gathering of the Faithful sneak in here? I got to go to the Glenwood Springs Rally in Colorado a couple of years ago in a friend's MG TC, but I've never been to a GoF. The GoFs around the country are a BIG deal.
https://gofwest.org/gof-west-2021

Well, there's always next year.
A friend of Doc's, one of only two B-29 bombers still flying.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Econoline wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:30 pm
From a comment in a thread on Facebook: "Let me just point out that we need to read between the lines, here. It's not just that he's suggesting that the election be delayed but, don't worry, he doesn't have to power to do so, he is declaring almost explicitly that if the election proceeds as scheduled, he will contest its validity and refuse to leave."
He can sit in the corner of the Oval Office (ha!) and cry, and I’m sure his Secret Service detail will be very kindly to him when they pick him up by the elbows (it might take 3 of them!) and carry him out to his waiting final ride on Marine One for departure from Dover AFB.

Of course the far more likely scenario is that he’s left the building before January 20, refusing to participate in the peaceful handover of power by meeting and greeting the president-elect and attending the inauguration on the steps of our great Capitol building. You’d think he’d want to be there, so he could later brag that the pandemic-reduced crowd was smaller than his - but I suspect he just has not got it in him to act with such a degree of maturity.

He’ll probably be golfing in Palm Beach while Joe takes the oath.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

I suspect you're right, but I also suspect there'll be a 2-month shitshow between November 4 and January 3 (the day the next Congress is seated).
God @The Tweet of God