From The Lancet

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Darren

Re: From The Lancet

Post by Darren »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 3:04 am
Darren wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:48 am
BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:12 am
Sorry Darren, but the very fact that this alleged Doc person (others on the internet and very likely this board have made up partners, a sadly common strategy for keyboard warriors to boost their image and self esteem) is with you is proof positive of her faulty judgment and possibly personality disorder - if she actually exists.
Doc gave me permission to post a picture of her when she received her PhD in the early 80's. I'll post the front and back with her comments on the graduation sometime this weekend.
Oh please do! Because THAT can’t be faked.
I wish I could. You know you want to see it.

This what Doc wrote on the back of the photo mount.

Thank you RBG wherever you are!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

In the spirit of the thing, Margaretta gave me permission to share this photo of her:

For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Scooter posted a picture of my Scotsman just recently.

viewtopic.php?p=285384#p285384
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Darren

Post by Darren »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:18 pm
In the spirit of the thing, Margaretta gave me permission to share this photo of her:
How about these fakes, Meade? Pretty good, yes?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Not really, Darren. KZN plates all end N+ not Z+. There is an NZ for vehicles registered in Mtunzini or Gingindlovu.

Odd for Bob Mugabe to make an appearance. And ZN isn't Zim either.

BSG is that dude your sporran partner?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Darren

Post by Darren »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:27 pm
Not really, Darren. KZN plates all end N+ not Z+. There is an NZ for vehicles registered in Mtunzini or Gingindlovu.

Odd for Bob Mugabe to make an appearance. And ZN isn't Zim either.
How about before the year 2000?

I'm doing pretty good going back that far to phony up a vanity plate for an ANC member. Note I got the no year tag sticker correct too unlike many of the states in the US that use them.

Any reason why you didn't replay to my previous post on Doc's late husband?

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

You're right though (that hurts). Personalized plates in KZN do end ZN. So top marks.

Yeah we don't have stickers - the plate stays with the vehicle as long as you like and is nothing to do with road licensing. That (as the UK still has, I suppose?) is a paper disc purchased once a year at the Post Office - they have plenty of time for things like that because their mail service is lousy).

I didn't see a post about your wife's Doc's late husband
Last edited by MajGenl.Meade on Sat May 16, 2020 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Darren

Post by Darren »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:51 pm
You're right though (that hurts). Personalized plates in KZN do end ZN. So top marks.

Yeah we don't have stickers - the plate stays with the vehicle as long as you like and is nothing to do with road licensing. That (as the UK still has, I suppose?) is a paper disc purchased once a year at the Post Office - they have plenty of time for things like that because their mail service is lousy).
If you think I nailed that one, you haven't seen the best yet.

I appreciate your acknowledgement. That showed character.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:27 pm
BSG is that dude your sporran partner?
:lol: :ok
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Darren

Post by Darren »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 3:16 pm
The inimitable Doc receiving her PhD. This is the front of the mounted photo with the printed note linked previously.

RayThom

From The Lancet

Post by RayThom »

Darren wrote:
... [Doc gave me permission to post a picture of her when she received her PhD in the early 80's. I'll post the front and back with her comments on the graduation sometime this weekend.
From the early '80s, or when she was in her early 80s?

Be sure to find a good looking woman to show us what "your Doc" should look like. Such a learned, and discriminating man as yourself would not be caught dead fantasizing about inferior 'arm candy.'
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Darren

Post by Darren »

RayThom wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 7:39 pm
Darren wrote:
... [Doc gave me permission to post a picture of her when she received her PhD in the early 80's. I'll post the front and back with her comments on the graduation sometime this weekend.
From the early '80s, or when she was in her early 80s?

Be sure to find a good looking woman to show us what "your Doc" should look like. Such a learned, and discriminating man as yourself would not be caught dead fantasizing about inferior 'arm candy.'
I don't recall any arm candy in my past, Ray. There was this slinky, long haired brunette with acne well into her 40's that looked good in leather. Looking back there's no rhyme or reason for my relationships except for one thing. But I digress.

I'm a sucker for good conversation. Doc and I have some doozies on a regular basis. I'm a lucky man because we laugh about the same things. Anything is fair game.

Did I mention Doc has a great personality? Here's Doc's photo from maybe ten years back.

liberty

Post by liberty »

A man that judges a woman and potential partner on looks alone is too much of a fool to judge anyone on anything. Personality and character are at least as important as looks. Beauty is transient but character lasts a lifetime.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Darren wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:11 pm

Did I mention Doc has a great personality? Here's Doc's photo from maybe ten years back.

That woman is lovely, and it appears to be more than skin deep - as much as one can tell from a photo. Love the braids!

But there’s still no way to know if you even know this person. ;)
~ Carl Sagan

RayThom

From The Lancet

Post by RayThom »

Darren, you seem to be overselling this relationship. It's hard to believe that an authoritative, overbearing, guy with your disagreeable personality is capable of maintaining a normal relationship with almost anyone -- male or female.

If an internet stock photo of Doc, your fantasy lady friend, pops up you're not going say that we are all crazy, thinking that you'd actually post a real image of her in here, are you?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

rubato

Post by rubato »

Still don't buy it Darren even though 'doc' is degraded to a nondescript PhD rather than an MD. So her opinion about Dr. Fauci is shit. Even for a fictional person.

yrs,
rubato

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Hmmmm.......
Daniel "Doc" Anthony Torrance is a fictional character that first appears in the 1977 novel The Shining by Stephen King as a child with psychic powers called "the shining".
source

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

rubato wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 2:46 am
Still don't buy it Darren even though 'doc' is degraded to a nondescript PhD rather than an MD. So her opinion about Dr. Fauci is shit. Even for a fictional person.

yrs,
rubato
Why are you so quick to knock PhDs rube? Have you had a bad experience with one? Taking Darren at face value, she's a PhD from a school of veterinary medicine. Not shabby.

I don't agree with Darren about very much and I'd love to have a conversation with his Doc to see what she really thinks about Fauci. But I wouldn't discount her views just because she has a PhD.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

liberty wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 10:53 pm
A man that judges a woman and potential partner on looks alone is too much of a fool to judge anyone on anything. Personality and character are at least as important as looks. Beauty is transient but character lasts a lifetime.
:ok See, we DO sometimes agree on important matters.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Darren

Post by Darren »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 5:31 am
rubato wrote:
Sun May 17, 2020 2:46 am

yrs,
rubato
Why are you so quick to knock PhDs rube? Have you had a bad experience with one? Taking Darren at face value, she's a PhD from a school of veterinary medicine. Not shabby.

I don't agree with Darren about very much and I'd love to have a conversation with his Doc to see what she really thinks about Fauci. But I wouldn't discount her views just because she has a PhD.
Note that she already had a DVM before she got her PhD. I'll post photo of the sheepskins later. Doc is looking for the picture taken when she was in the Navy. That was years before she started college when she was thirty and had three kids.

When she was stationed in Jacksonville, Fl for A school, the Marines had a setup for Armed Forces Day. If you could hit bullseyes with a Garand you could choose either a box of Vanilla Wafers or cigars as a prize. Doc hit twenty bullseyes before the Marines wouldn't allow her to shoot anymore.

Her father was an NRA certified instructor. While Doc was in high school he set up a youth rifle team in Marin County. Doc and one of her brothers were on the team. Unfortunately Doc out shot her brother and her father kicked her off the team. Her brother went on later to be on the Navy rifle team.

Her father firmly believed a woman's was destined to be a homemaker. Doc disagreed.