From The Lancet

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
ex-khobar Andy

From The Lancet

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

The Trump administration's further erosion of the CDC will harm global cooperation in science and public health, as it is trying to do by defunding WHO. A strong CDC is needed to respond to public health threats, both domestic and international, and to help prevent the next inevitable pandemic. Americans must put a president in the White House come January, 2021, who will understand that public health should not be guided by partisan politics.
The Lancet is one of the world's most essential medical journals - along with NEJM - and such a foray into politics is, I believe, unique.

You can read the entire editorial Reviving the US CDC here.

Big RR

Re: From The Lancet

Post by Big RR »

Makes sense; but perhaps this is one of Trump's 5th dimension connections that no one else can see. You know, like if we don't test, we won't have a large number of people testing positive.

Darren

Post by Darren »

The Lancet editorial staff obviously didn't get the memo about the CDC's screw up with the testing kits.

The CDC is one of the agencies, including the military, that need to be on zero based budgeting. Mission creep is a sign of incompetence.

If you can't do your assigned job correctly why are you looking for things to do for which you need MORE MONEY?
Thank you RBG wherever you are!

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

And maybe we could try not testing at all.
That takes less than a minute.
Are you looking into that?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Darren: from the editorial -
There is no doubt that the CDC has made mistakes, especially on testing in the early stages of the pandemic.
Maybe you should read it. I'll wait.

Show me someone who has made no mistakes, especially in the heat of battle, and I'll show you Donald Trump's mind from the airy and spacious inside.

I'd love a reporter to ask, say, Andrew Cuomo to talk about some of his mistakes. I'm pretty sure his answer would be along the lines of "How long have you got?" Ask Trump the same question and I doubt that he will have any. Except maybe listening to Fauci when he should have trusted his own judgment.

Darren

Post by Darren »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:11 pm
There is no doubt that the CDC has made mistakes, especially on testing in the early stages of the pandemic.

Show me someone who has made no mistakes, especially in the heat of battle, and I'll show you Donald Trump's mind from the airy and spacious inside.

I'd love a reporter to ask, say, Andrew Cuomo to talk about some of his mistakes. I'm pretty sure his answer would be along the lines of "How long have you got?" Ask Trump the same question and I doubt that he will have any. Except maybe listening to Fauci when he should have trusted his own judgment.
Doc met Fauci at a couple of conferences. In summary, he's a great example of the Peter Principle.

RayThom

From The Lancet

Post by RayThom »

The Trump administration's further erosion of the CDC will harm global cooperation in science and public health, as it is trying to do by defunding WHO... Americans must put a president in the White House come January, 2021..."
No argument here. We've been without one since January 20th 2017.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Is there anything Doc hasn’t done?
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

RayThom

From The Lancet

Post by RayThom »

Crackpot wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:50 pm
I bet her surname is "Gump."
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Darren

Post by Darren »

Crackpot wrote:
Her ancestors who loaned money to Continental Congress left Virginia in disgust after not getting repaid and went to Northern California. Doc is the most memorable individual I've ever met.

Doc grew up spending summers at a cattle ranch as a teenager. The joke was when she was given a stallion to ride. She did after she was thrown a few times.

What can you tell me about memorable individuals, outside your family, that you've met?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Darren wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:35 pm

Doc met Fauci at a couple of conferences. In summary, he's a great example of the Peter Principle.
Come on Darren - occasionally you show signs of independent thought even though I disagree with you mightily, most of the time. But surely you have hit bottom here. From Fauci's bio at NIH:
In 2003, an Institute for Scientific Information study indicated that in the twenty year period from 1983 to 2002, Dr. Fauci was the 13th most-cited scientist among the 2.5 to 3 million authors in all disciplines throughout the world who published articles in scientific journals during that time frame. Dr. Fauci was the world's 10th most-cited HIV/AIDS researcher in the period 1996-2006.
Is Doc one of the 12 with more citations that Fauci? If yes I might reconsider my opinion of Fauci. Is he wrong sometimes? Yes: sometimes spectacularly so. But he's the man in the arena . . .

rubato

Post by rubato »

Darren wrote:
ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:11 pm

Fauci has a long and very positive record which has been well documented. You "doc" friend is a moron or more likely, a fictional creation by a moron.

yrs,
rubato

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Darren wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:14 pm
Crackpot wrote:
Her ancestors who loaned money to Continental Congress left Virginia in disgust after not getting repaid and went to Northern California. Doc is the most memorable individual I've ever met.

Doc grew up spending summers at a cattle ranch as a teenager. The joke was when she was given a stallion to ride. She did after she was thrown a few times.

What can you tell me about memorable individuals, outside your family, that you've met?
You want me to tell you a true story? Sure you first.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Sorry Darren, but the very fact that this alleged Doc person (others on the internet and very likely this board have made up partners, a sadly common strategy for keyboard warriors to boost their image and self esteem) is with you is proof positive of her faulty judgment and possibly personality disorder - if she actually exists.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Darren

Post by Darren »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 11:20 pm
Darren wrote:

Come on Darren - occasionally you show signs of independent thought even though I disagree with you mightily, most of the time. But surely you have hit bottom here. From Fauci's bio at NIH:
In 2003, an Institute for Scientific Information study indicated that in the twenty year period from 1983 to 2002, Dr. Fauci was the 13th most-cited scientist among the 2.5 to 3 million authors in all disciplines throughout the world who published articles in scientific journals during that time frame. Dr. Fauci was the world's 10th most-cited HIV/AIDS researcher in the period 1996-2006.
Is Doc one of the 12 with more citations that Fauci? If yes I might reconsider my opinion of Fauci. Is he wrong sometimes? Yes: sometimes spectacularly so. But he's the man in the arena . . .
Doc doesn't suffer misogynists. She thinks even less of him now.

Darren

Post by Darren »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 12:12 am
Sorry Darren, but the very fact that this alleged Doc person (others on the internet and very likely this board have made up partners, a sadly common strategy for keyboard warriors to boost their image and self esteem) is with you is proof positive of her faulty judgment and possibly personality disorder - if she actually exists.
Doc gave me permission to post a picture of her when she received her PhD in the early 80's. I'll post the front and back with her comments on the graduation sometime this weekend.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Was it the 1880s?

Darren

Post by Darren »

Joe Guy wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 2:07 am
Was it the 1880s?

Dec 12, 1980.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Darren wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:48 am
BoSoxGal wrote:
Doc gave me permission to post a picture of her when she received her PhD in the early 80's. I'll post the front and back with her comments on the graduation sometime this weekend.
Oh please do! Because THAT can’t be faked.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Darren

Post by Darren »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 3:04 am
Darren wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 1:48 am
BoSoxGal wrote:
Oh please do! Because THAT can’t be faked.

Thank you for the compliment!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: