From The Lancet

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Big RR

Re: From The Lancet

Post by Big RR »

I agree. I won't comment on this woman as I have no knowledge of her other than what Darren has stated, but academically, a PhD is recognized as a much higher degree than the "professional" doctorates (such as DVM, MD, DDS/DMD, JD, EdD, etc.). While I am certain that MDs can have significant scientific and technical knowledge (as can DVM, JDs, etc.) , it is not the main point of their education, which focuses on diagnosis and treatment of disease, not the science. I would always defer to the PhD on scientific matters, absent compelling circumstances to do otherwise.

Darren

Post by Darren »

RayThom wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 1:53 am
Hmm. Degrees in Veterinary Medicine and a PhD in Philosophy? Excellent credentials for an existential dog whisperer.

How is it possible that this woman puts up with your shit, plus live in a trailer camp with you? Has she not saved up for a proper retirement?

I'm still dubious.
You caught me Ray. That's the story we tell the members of the American Legion so we fit in with the crowd. We live in an old funeral home converted into a single family residence. That gives us the room we need for thousands of books.

Her late husband had the basement wired for thee phase power and setup a complete woodworking shop to build custom hardwood doors. I'm in the process of setting up the garage portion as a machine shop.

FWIW, I thank Doc every night for putting up with me.
Thank you RBG wherever you are!

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Darren wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 1:34 pm
As a mother with three kids at home, the need to study, do research and take weekly tests Doc never participated in other university activities like undergraduates do.

After the two terminal degrees, Doc later considered getting an MD but in those days opportunities for women were limited. She was "told" she would not be allowed to get another terminal degree.
I really should stop biting.

What kind of research degree has weekly tests? You are judged on your thesis and publications.

" . . .in those days opportunities for women were limited." We are not talking about the dark ages here. Are things better now for women in academe than they were then? Undoubtedly. But during several years of postgraduate research in the early 70s - hard science - I'm guessing the sex ratio was something like 2/3 men and 1/3 women. Equitable: no - but hardly the 1850s. In the US model of self funded education, I doubt that she was "told" anything of the sort. If she had (a) the dosh and (b) the ability, she'd be in. Whether it was a good idea for anyone, male or female, to invest the funds in a third terminal degree (BTW - there's a clue in the name) is a different matter. But I can see a wise administrator somewhere telling her "You have already invested $X00,000 in your education. Your money, your choice. But don't you think that at your age" (and let's not forget that Doc was already 40 in 1980) "you should be putting those degrees to work and getting some of it back?"

Darren

Post by Darren »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 3:23 pm
Darren wrote:
As a mother with three kids at home, the need to study, do research and take weekly tests Doc never participated in other university activities like undergraduates do.

After the two terminal degrees, Doc later considered getting an MD but in those days opportunities for women were limited. She was "told" she would not be allowed to get another terminal degree.
I really should stop biting.

What kind of research degree has weekly tests? You are judged on your thesis and publications.
You're correct, The weekly tests were part of the DVM program. Doc met with her committee twice a month to go over progress toward a PhD. That included her dissertation as that was written.

Doc completed the PhD requirements including the defense in three years.

liberty

Post by liberty »

Darren wrote:
Doc and I thank you for your concerns.
Darren, you might think it can't be removed, but Gob can cancel any post and I think he would do it if you requested it on the ground of security oversight. After all, no one is perfect and not everyone paranoid.
I expected to be placed in an air force combat position such as security police, forward air control, pararescue or E.O.D. I would have liked dog handler. I had heard about the dog Nemo and was highly impressed. “SFB” is sad I didn’t end up in E.O.D.

Darren

Post by Darren »

liberty wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:02 pm
Darren wrote:
Doc and I thank you for your concerns.
Darren, you might think it can't be removed, but Gob can cancel any post and I think he would do it if you requested it on the ground of security oversight. After all, no one is perfect and not everyone paranoid.
I didn't say the post could not be removed.

Doc and I discussed the privacy issues before the sheepskins were posted. There is no record of her at Texas A&M that can be accessed via the internet. The registrar's office has information but you won't get that w/o a signed release from Doc.

Thank you for your concern.

Next up, Doc and the Coast Guard.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Darren wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 6:14 pm
I didn't say the post could not be removed.

Doc and I discussed the privacy issues before the sheepskins were posted. There is no record of her at Texas A&M that can be accessed via the internet.

You mean to tell me that this ONLINE composite photograph of the Aggie DVM graduating class of 1976 doesn't contain her name and image?

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Darren

Post by Darren »

Again she's not in that composite or any of the others you'll find.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Darren wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:18 pm
Sez you.

You'll probably have to look long and hard to find pictures of me on the internets too, but then again I am not trying to make you believe that I am a former Olympic-caliber cyclist who also works as an astrophysicist on the side (when I am not tending to lepers on Molokai), either.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Darren

Post by Darren »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:44 pm
Darren wrote:
Sez you.

You'll probably have to look long and hard to find pictures of me on the internets too, but then again I am not trying to make you believe that I am a former Olympic-caliber cyclist who also works as an astrophysicist on the side (when I am not tending to lepers on Molokai), either.
-"BB"-
Keep in mind Doc was married with three kids while in the program. She didn't party as others did nor take part in group studying. Nor did she have a photo ID or show up for anything not required including photos for the composite.

Darren

Post by Darren »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Mon May 18, 2020 8:44 pm
Darren wrote:
Sez you.

-"BB"-
Keep in mind Doc was married with three kids while in the program. She didn't party as others did nor take part in group studying. Nor did she have a photo ID or show up for anything not required including photos for the composite.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

She was married with 3 kids and finished a PhD in 3 years? That’s stretching credulity.

This whole exercise is a total waste of electrons.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Darren

Post by Darren »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 4:02 am
She was married with 3 kids and finished a PhD in 3 years? That’s stretching credulity.

This whole exercise is a total waste of electrons.
That's exactly why Doc is outstanding in more ways than you know. Doc's husband at that time also had a PhD. He was a coonass who was a force of nature himself. It was with his support that she began college and began a course of study that ended with a master's degree in nursing and becoming a family nurse practitioner.

After getting her nursing degree Doc started her own medical clinic and worked with an Indian tribe and the Coast Guard during that period.

Doc's father was never a supporter of her and unknowingly misdirected her life's course. She needed his permission to take physics in high school. He would not give his approval because he felt women should be homemakers.

The deal they struck was that if she won the school's Betty Crocker contest she could take physics. She busted ass and came in third to his dismay. It was his attitude that caused her to leave home after graduation and join the Navy.

The Navy to her surprise instead of allowing her to become a corpsman trained her in aviation electronics which diverted her life onto a different course leading to marriage and three kids.

Darren

Post by Darren »

BTW, we have a winner!

RayThom

From The Lancet

Post by RayThom »

Darren wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:50 pm
BTW, we have a winner!
Don't leave us hanging -- who is it?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Darren

Post by Darren »

RayThom wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 2:14 pm
Darren wrote:
Tue May 19, 2020 1:50 pm
BTW, we have a winner!
Don't leave us hanging -- who is it?
By Saturday.

Darren

Post by Darren »

Doc did the physicals for the enlisted for the Coast Guard station and also served one of the Indian tribes during this period. That''s her in the hatch of the helicopter. The man in the white shirt later became a MD.

RayThom

From The Lancet

Post by RayThom »

Wow! Your imaginary friend's super powers grow daily.

Does she really need that bulky helicopter to get airborne?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

MGMcAnick

Post by MGMcAnick »

Darren wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 8:14 pm

Her ancestors who loaned money to Continental Congress left Virginia in disgust after not getting repaid and went to Northern California. Doc is the most memorable individual I've ever met.
Interesting. What did Doc's family find going on in northern California in the late 18th century? Were they the first ones there?

Please note: The Doc usually noted in my signature is a restored B-29, one of two still flying.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

They were the first people to discover California.