There is war in the streets of America tonight

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
ex-khobar Andy

Re: There is war in the streets of America tonight

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Scooter wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 2:08 pm
Darren wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 11:03 am
the autopsy showed he did not die of asphyxiation
The autopsy showed no evidence of traumatic asphyxiation or strangulation, such as you might see when someone is killed when suffocated with a pillow, or hanged by the neck. It doesn't mean that Chauvin's foot on Floyd's neck didn't constrict his airway or impede blood flow in such a way as to directly cause his death.
It does, however, mean that Chauvin will probably walk. All you need is a dash of reasonable doubt. So it will happen again at some date TBD.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I want to argue all the legal points in favor of his conviction, especially on a murder 3 charge - but given the human element of juror deference to law enforcement authority, I can’t. You are most likely right - I will be much surprised by a conviction (and very pleased) but fully expect the crushing disappointment of another brutal cop set free to live his life, and probably hired on by another law enforcement organization somewhere.

I think Cornell West may be right - on this issue as in consideration of the massive inequities highlighted by coronavirus, and the specter of the current resident of the White House and the actions he’s accomplished from there - America IS a failed experiment.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Darren

Post by Darren »

Scooter wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 2:08 pm
Darren wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 11:03 am
the autopsy showed he did not die of asphyxiation
The autopsy showed no evidence of traumatic asphyxiation or strangulation, such as you might see when someone is killed when suffocated with a pillow, or hanged by the neck. It doesn't mean that Chauvin's foot on Floyd's neck didn't constrict his airway or impede blood flow in such a way as to directly cause his death.
Did you read anything from a medical examiner stating a cause of death?
Thank you RBG wherever you are!

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Where did you find a ME's report stating that "he did not die of asphyxiation, because nothing that has been reported publicly supports that statement.

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Scooter wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 11:34 pm
Where did you find a ME's report stating that "he did not die of asphyxiation, because nothing that has been reported publicly supports that statement.
That’s actually been widely reported - it’s the conclusion of the autopsy. (The family has requested an independent one, done by Dr. Baden.)

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.scienc ... phyxia.htm
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

The quote being reported, whether it comes from the actual ME's report or not, is "no physical findings that support a diagnosis of traumatic asphyxiation or strangulation." (emphasis added) It means there is no evidence that he was hanged with a noose, had an elephant step on his chest, or had a pillow shoved over his face. It doesn't mean he wasn't deprived of air or blood flow in a way that caused his death.

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Scooter wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 12:03 am
The quote being reported, whether it comes from the actual ME's report or not, is "no physical findings that support a diagnosis of traumatic asphyxiation or strangulation." (emphasis added) It means there is no evidence that he was hanged with a noose, had an elephant step on his chest, or had a pillow shoved over his face. It doesn't mean he wasn't deprived of air or blood flow in a way that caused his death.
From the article I posted which you apparently didn’t read; this is the preliminary finding which is being widely reported:
The Hennepin County Medical Examiner (ME) conducted the autopsy saying that asphyxia was not the cause of death.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

I 'd guess that Scooter read the article, as did I, and noted that
The Hennepin County Medical Examiner (ME) conducted the autopsy saying that asphyxia was not the cause of death

was not written as a quote from the report of the Hennepin County ME but was written by a journo/blogger named "Hannah C" interpreting the actual quote.

Now, that's not to say that somewhere in the report the ME did NOT write "asphyxia was not the cause of death". I don't know - perhaps he did write that. All that can be known factually from the linked article is that Hannah C wrote it, not the ME.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Somehow, the news from America's cities combined with the amazing success of SpaceX’s Crew Dragon today brought this little ditty to mind. If it weren't for the fact that I was drug-free during this period of my life, I might call it an acid flashback...
Ah, you may leave here, for four days in space,
But when you return, it's the same old place,
The poundin' of the drums, the pride and disgrace,
You can bury your dead, but don't leave a trace,
Hate your next door neighbor, but don't forget to say grace...

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Darren

Post by Darren »

Econoline wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 6:56 am
Somehow, the news from America's cities combined with the amazing success of SpaceX’s Crew Dragon today brought this little ditty to mind. If it weren't for the fact that I was drug-free during this period of my life, I might call it an acid flashback...
Ah, you may leave here, for four days in space,
But when you return, it's the same old place,
The poundin' of the drums, the pride and disgrace,
You can bury your dead, but don't leave a trace,
Hate your next door neighbor, but don't forget to say grace...

Here we are fifty years later and we have seen a decline. What made a difference good or bad? Thoughts?

The educational system has certainly gone to hell. What caused that?

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

"The Eve Of Destruction"... how prophetic.

"Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it."
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Darren

Post by Darren »

RayThom wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 4:28 pm

We never learned or made progress (real) afterwards even though many would say we did after the Vietnam debacle. Remind me to piss on Walter's grave when I'm in the neighborhood.

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Ah, yeah...Vietnam. Was that also what you'd call a "mediademic", Darren? :shrug Nah, probably not; that was only 58,000 deaths.

Well, the SpaceX Crew Dragon can spend a lot longer than 4 days in space, so that's an improvement I guess...
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Darren

Post by Darren »

Econoline wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 7:08 pm
Ah, yeah...Vietnam. Was that also what you'd call a "mediademic", Darren? :shrug Nah, probably not; that was only 58,000 deaths.

Well, the SpaceX Crew Dragon can spend a lot longer than 4 days in space, so that's an improvement I guess...
Far more than 58,000 deaths on our hands.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Darren wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 5:56 pm
RayThom wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 4:28 pm

We never learned or made progress (real) afterwards even though many would say we did after the Vietnam debacle. Remind me to piss on Walter's grave when I'm in the neighborhood.
Walter?
The only Walter I remember from the Vietnam era was Walter Cronkite, a man who read the news.  What's he got to do with it?
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Darren wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 7:42 pm
Econoline wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 7:08 pm

Far more than 58,000 deaths on our hands.
Point taken.

I had the same question about "Walter".
God @The Tweet of God

RayThom

Post by RayThom »

Darren, do you mean Disney, Reed, or maybe Jeff Dunham's Walter?

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

God @The Tweet of God

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

God @The Tweet of God