There is war in the streets of America tonight

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Scooter

Re: There is war in the streets of America tonight

Post by Scooter »

Those who have been mindlessly posting "this is not a war": today the President declared and launched a war against the people of the United States. His first campaign of that war consisted of firing upon law abiding citizens peaceably assembled.

The challenge I issued in creating this thread still stands: you have a choice to make, do you side with the people or with their repression?
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I would lay down my life for the cause.

As a child I was deeply affected by the image of the Buddhist monk who self immolated in protest of the repression of Buddhists by the US-backed regime in Vietnam http://buddhistinformation.com/self_immolation.htm; I have wondered since Freddy Gray if an act like that on the steps of the SCOTUS could awaken the slumbering fence sitters on the issue of systematic racism in this county - I figured it would be a good use for a failing body.

This issue has wrent my heart since I was a very young kid and watched Roots and Eyes on the Prize with my mother; this past week I have cried every day from grief - and also the tiniest bit of joy at the prospect of fundamental change happening in the time I remain here to bear witness.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

A statement from Bishop Mariann Edgar Budde of the Episcopal Diocese of Washington:
The President just used a Bible and one of the churches of my diocese as a backdrop for a message antithetical to the teachings of Jesus and everything that our church stands for. To do so, he sanctioned the use of tear gas by police officers in riot gear to clear the church yard.

I am outraged.

The President did not pray when he came to St. John’s; nor did he acknowledge the agony and sacred worth of people of color in our nation who rightfully demand an end to 400 years of systemic racism and white supremacy in our country.

We in the Diocese of Washington follow Jesus in His Way of Love. We aspire to be people of peace and advocates of justice. In no way do we support the President’s incendiary response to a wounded, grieving nation. In faithfulness to our Savior who lived a life of non-violence and sacrificial love, we align ourselves with those seeking justice for the death of George Floyd and countless others through the sacred act of peaceful protest.

-- Author unknown

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Did you see when Trump was asked if that was his Bible? His answer was, "It's 'A' Bible".

Darren

Post by Darren »

Police describe anarchists' extensive prep for violence, including 'bicycle scouts

"On Sunday night, New York's top terrorism cop, Deputy Commissioner for Intelligence and Counterterrorism John Miller, detailed his office's analysis and investigation into why the New York City protests have become so violent and damaging at times.

"No. 1, before the protests began," Miller said, "organizers of certain anarchist groups set out to raise bail money and people who would be responsible to be raising bail money, they set out to recruit medics and medical teams with gear to deploy in anticipation of violent interactions with police."
""And they developed a complex network of bicycle scouts to move ahead of demonstrators in different directions of where police were and where police were not for purposes of being able to direct groups from the larger group to places where they could commit acts of vandalism including the torching of police vehicles and Molotov cocktails where they thought officers would not be."

Miller said that a review of 686 arrests since Thursday found that one of out of seven were from outside New York City, including Iowa, Nevada, Texas and a number of other states."
"The LAPD says that most of the crimes associated with Saturday night's protests and violence were local actors. However, Shea told NBC News that in New York City the arrests for violence on Friday were at least 20 percent from out of town and he suggested the number could grow much higher as they suspected that false addresses were initially given to police at the time of arrest."

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/justic ... s-n1220486
Thank you RBG wherever you are!

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Darren wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 3:18 am
Look, a squirrel!

-- Author unknown

RayThom

There is war in the streets of America tonight

Post by RayThom »

The Antichrist... look at his fucking smugness.

I'm going to pray for him again tonight.

“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

1.  Stab vest a/k/a plate carrier — as if non-police personnel can't buy these either?  Google it sometime.
2.  "Thin Blue Line" wristband — and you can read that from this pic?  It could be just a neoprene wristband in a dark-blue color — supporting the Baltimore Ravens, for example.
3.  Handcuffs in hip pocket — perhaps it's only a can of Copenhagen; they're also round, and people carry them back there too.
4.  Audio wire but no visible headphones — unless they're hanging down the front of his shirt and we can't see them from the back.

Paranoid much, Scooter?

Personally, I'd be more interested in knowing what those tattoos on his right arm read.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

I'm not buying Scooter's pic - at least not yet, need better evidence - but CNN is reporting that Twitter has closed down one far right white power account posing as antifa and calling for violence.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Scooter wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:21 pm
Nope, I didn't I'm not guilty. Shit like this just fosters more ill feeling.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Post by Gob »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:03 pm
America 2020 - allegedly the most free society on earth, with the strongest protections of freedom of speech, is a delusion.

I've been trying to tell you for a long time, but would you listen?
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Bicycle Bill wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 6:37 am
Paranoid much, Scooter?
Agent provocateur who may have been undercover cop
White supremacists pose as Antifa online, call for violence

Is it paranoia if there really is a conspiracy to incite and frame people?

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Gob wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 8:08 am
BoSoxGal wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 8:03 pm
America 2020 - allegedly the most free society on earth, with the strongest protections of freedom of speech, is a delusion.

I've been trying to tell you for a long time, but would you listen?
I am not sure if I agree it is a delusion; I think the delusion is that our rights are sacrosanct and cannot be taken away. We see an asshole like the cheeto in chief, a man who couldn't generate enough brain power to light a single christmas light, delivering his law and order manifesto in a way that would even make Nixon blush. If we don't rise up and demand our rights, perhaps we deserve to lose them. It's time to mount the barricades and stnd up for what's right. Personally, for me his speech last night was a call to action for all of us who cherish freedom, and it has stirred me to action.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:55 am
I'm not buying Scooter's pic - at least not yet, need better evidence - but CNN is reporting that Twitter has closed down one far right white power account posing as antifa and calling for violence.
And Donald Trump Jr re-Instagrammed that fake tweet (sorry if I have the terminology wrong) and has apparently deleted it from his account.

It's obvious to me that Trump's little walk across the road to the church yesterday was prompted by the 'stuck in a bunker' jeers. He wanted to show that he could bravely walk to church after the path had been cleared by tear gas.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Majority of Americans Support Uprisings, Disagree With Trump, Poll Finds

As President Donald Trump threatens to invoke the Insurrection Act to use aspects of the U.S. military against Americans involved in the demonstrations in response to the killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis last week, polling so far shows that most people are not happy with how he has handled the situation.

Indeed, the data demonstrates that a majority of Americans appear to be in support of the protests in general.

A Morning Consult poll conducted on May 31 and June 1 — several days after demonstrations began in protest over Floyd’s killing at the hands of a Minneapolis police officer who held a knee to Floyd’s neck for nearly 9 minutes — finds that 54 percent of Americans either strongly support or somewhat support the protests that are going on. Conversely, just 22 percent say they somewhat oppose or strongly oppose the demonstrations.
These protests have much more support, according to the poll, than the recent calls for “reopening America” that took place weeks ago (and which had the strong backing of the president). The poll suggests that just 28 percent of respondents think those protests were worthwhile, while 46 percent say they opposed them in a general sense.

As for the clashes taking place between protesters and the police presence at events across the country, more Americans than not still side with the views of those who are demonstrating, with 55 percent in the Morning Consult poll saying police violence is a bigger problem than violence against the police. Just 30 percent hold the opposite opinion.

Most Americans do not view Trump’s management of his administration’s response to the protests in a positive light, either. Just 30 percent of Americans think he’s addressing the situation in an “Excellent,” “Very Good,” or “Good” way. Another 11 percent give him a grade of “Fair,” while a plurality of respondents (43 percent) say he’s doing a “Poor” job so far.
Would be interesting to see how the numbers shift in reaction to the brutal repression of peaceful assembly in Lafayette Square yesterday, and the Cheeto-in-Chief's blasphemous display at the church.

-- Author unknown

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Our president has demonstrated that he has finally completed his transition to becoming Trump Jong-un. Just when I thought he couldn't be more stupid, he proved me wrong. Anyone who votes for this guy in November has got to be stupid too. He needs to be removed from office and prosecuted for all his crimes before and during his presidency.

TPFKA@W

Post by TPFKA@W »

I thought he was Adolph Trump.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

That was when he was down in the underground bunker. Unfortunately someone forgot to lock the door from outside and he wound up not using the traditional Adolfian way of leaving a bunker... :shrug
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:50 pm
ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 7:55 am
And Donald Trump Jr re-Instagrammed that fake tweet (sorry if I have the terminology wrong) and has apparently deleted it from his account.

It's obvious to me that Trump's little walk across the road to the church yesterday was prompted by the 'stuck in a bunker' jeers. He wanted to show that he could bravely walk to church after the path had been cleared by tear gas.
Helpful advice from Wonkette:
There is so much purposeful disinformation going on right now that it is really best to not jump on any bandwagons until it is clear what is actually going on. There are accounts like this trying to make protesters and organizers look bad, there are deceptive tweets and bot-driven hashtags and screenshots of tweets, and even videos that aren't showing the whole story. Anything that looks like something meant to make people think, "Whell, I agree with why they're protesting but ..." should be taken with a grain of salt until it's proven to be true. You'll never regret taking a beat, but you will regret spreading something that isn't true and having to backtrack later. Especially if it was a thing made up by white supremacists.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God