There is war in the streets of America tonight

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
BoSoxGal

Re: There is war in the streets of America tonight

Post by BoSoxGal »

Darren, I am sick and fucking tired of you attributing your own words to other people through your manipulation of the quote function. There was zero fucking reason for you to even use the quote function in this post as you’ve quoted NOTHING that I posted. You are not incapable of properly using the function, you are just being despicable.

STOP DOING IT.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Darren

Post by Darren »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 1:55 pm
Darren, I am sick and fucking tired of you attributing your own words to other people through your manipulation of the quote function. There was zero fucking reason for you to even use the quote function in this post as you’ve quoted NOTHING that I posted. You are not incapable of properly using the function, you are just being despicable.

STOP DOING IT.
I screwed up. It wasn't intentional. But I won't promise to do better in the future because that's a commitment I doubt is possible.

If you think I'm despicable now, I have fresh ammo for you.
Thank you RBG wherever you are!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

It is totally possible if you had an ounce of integrity. You’re going on ignore and I will no longer give you the honor of my attention. Go fuck yourself.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

She's not wrong
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Darren: use the "Preview" function. Always. Every time you post...until what you actually post consistently matches what you think you're posting. (And then keep on doing it forever, because it's a good habit to get into.)

You're welcome.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

OMG, ANTIFA now controls the FBI too. Send the troops in before they're compromised by these experts.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Thu Jun 04, 2020 2:40 pm
It is totally possible if you had an ounce of integrity. You’re going on ignore and I will no longer give you the honor of my attention. Go fuck yourself.
Well, Darren, welcome to BSG's "Go Fuck Yourself" club.  There's enough of us here already that we maybe get some jackets printed up.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

dales

Post by dales »

I know an excellent tailor in San Francisco.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Darren

Post by Darren »

"The Shaw Memorial remains one of sculptor Augustus Saint-Gaudens' most stirring and celebrated masterpieces and is considered by some to be America's greatest public monument. It also took him the longest sculpture to complete; 14 years until the unveiling in Boston in 1897.

The sculpture's origins began after the battle of Fort Wagner, when men of the 54th proposed a memorial to Shaw near the Fort and the mass burial site. Shaw's father suggested at that time "The monument, though originated for my son, ought to bear, with his, the names of his brave officers and men, who fell and were buried with him." Because of local hostility, and the unstable ground, the memorial was never erected. The funds went instead, to the first free school for African American children in Charleston, which was named for Shaw.

In 1865, an African American businessman, Joshua Benton Smith, initiated a new call for a memorial in Boston. Smith worked for the Shaw family when Robert was a child. He went on to establish a successful catering business, and later served in the Massachusetts legislature. A committee was formed of 21 prominent Bostonians, including the abolitionist senator, Charles Sumner. It was not until 1883 that Saint-Gaudens was given the sculpture commission."

"The Robert Gould Shaw and the 54th Regiment Memorial was one of 16 public art works damaged when thousands of protesters swarmed Boston Common on Sunday night.

A $3-million dollar restoration project for the sculpture dedicated to the African American soldiers who fought in the Civil War was granted clearance just last week. The outbreak of the coronavirus had delayed the project.

The conservator's recent prep work protected the front of the bronze relief with plywood, but its concrete backside was vandalized with four-letter words and phrases including “Black Lives Matter,” “No Justice, No Peace,” and “Police are Pigs.”

“This monument is considered one of the nation's greatest pieces of public art and the greatest piece to come out of the Civil War,” said Liz Vizza, executive director of the Friends of the Public Garden, “It was, amazingly enough, dedicated 123 years ago on May 31st – the day it was defaced.”"

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Boo fucking hoo; I’m not a fan of vandalism, but it’s in no way equivalent to extrajudicial state killings - and graffiti like that on monuments, which happens all the time totally unconnected to civil rights protests, is fairly easily removed from such surfaces.
~ Carl Sagan

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Now can we ALL agree there is a problem with police culture?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.syracu ... Type%3Damp

He’s in stable condition, which is lucky. That kind of injury could’ve easily killed him, and might still result in life altering physical and cognitive limitations. Any fucking idiot knows elderly people don’t have the same balance and agility as young people. These fucking cops are despicable. They are FERAL. They are unfit to serve and represent decent people.
~ Carl Sagan

Darren

Post by Darren »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:07 pm
Boo fucking hoo; I’m not a fan of vandalism, but it’s in no way equivalent to extrajudicial state killings - and graffiti like that on monuments, which happens all the time totally unconnected to civil rights protests, is fairly easily removed from such surfaces.
I wish I was assured as you are that it's not indicative of a far "deeper" problem. What assurance do you have that those in local and state offices can fix what protestors think is broken?

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Darren wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:27 pm
BoSoxGal wrote:
I wish I was assured as you are that it's not indicative of a far "deeper" problem. What assurance do you have that those in local and state offices can fix what protestors think is broken?
What protesters ‘think’ is broken? :loon

I am 50 years old this year, and I’ll be lucky to get 20 more. Because of my health, I probably won’t - in reality, I’ll probably only get ten. IF I avoid accidental death.

I’m not wasting one more minute of that time on racists. There are probably people here who either a) think you’re redeemable, or b) just find arguing with you amusing. Neither of those things apply to me.

Buh-bye.
~ Carl Sagan

Darren

Post by Darren »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:37 pm
Darren wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 5:27 pm
BoSoxGal wrote:
What protesters ‘think’ is broken? :loon

I am 50 years old this year, and I’ll be lucky to get 20 more. Because of my health, I probably won’t - in reality, I’ll probably only get ten. IF I avoid accidental death.

I’m not wasting one more minute of that time on racists. There are probably people here who either a) think you’re redeemable, or b) just find arguing with you amusing. Neither of those things apply to me.

Buh-bye.
It's easy to write off something as JUST racism. I'm not denying racism might be involved. I'm questioning whether other issues exist that are not addressed by sensitivity or diversity training or recruiting and promoting minorities to positions of leadership.

There's potential to learn from the murder of George Floyd rather than use the same solutions (eliminate the racism and we're done) that seem to continue to fail.

If we as a nation are not willing to look deeper the future will be an unchanged continuation of the past.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:
I know you supposedly not reading this because you claim to have me on 'ignore' (along with a lot of other people, if I can still believe anything you say), but that is a really piss-poor attitude to take.  That's right up there with the "property can be replaced but lives can't, so who cares if a tavern/pawnshop/department store/housing development goes up in flames?" line of bullshit.

Because not all property can be replaced/refurbished/repaired, that's why.  Suppose somehow the rioters had gotten into the Smithsonian and destroyed the Spirit of St. Louis (Lindbergh's plane), or the Fort McHenry flag, or the Apollo 11 capsule, or the top hat Lincoln wore to Ford's Theater the night he was assassinated (and don't tell it couldn't have happened, because you know fucking good and well that it could)?  You tell me where you're supposed to go to get another one.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

Those are just things.

While I'd be unhappy that they were destroyed, and hope that those that did it would be prosecuted, it's no where near the loss of one life.

Not even good examples, because the loss of those things wouldn't even effect one's livelihoods.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Darren

Post by Darren »

BoSoxGal wrote:
"CHICAGO (CBS) — It was bad before and it’s even worse now.

Food deserts in some South Side communities have even fewer choices for groceries after the weekend’s violence.

For neighbors, the Jewel-Osco on 75th is the grocery store. But no longer.

“It’s kind of a sad thing to think about,” said resident William Wright. “I take my grandma here every Sunday.”

On Sunday night, it was ravaged by looters, as you can see by the aftermath captured in video from the next day, leaving neighbors frustrated.

“It’s not what you do. It’s how do you do it,” Wright said. “What did we accomplish, aside from take our property value down and embarrass ourselves?”

Wright, his grandmother and so many around here are trying to figure out which stores on the South Side are even left right now.

Chicago now has food deserts in places that weren’t food deserts before.

“Bronzeville Mariano’s was looted, the Walmart on 47th was looted. Jewel,” said activist William Calloway.

And the food deserts that were there before are worse now.

“Now you have to go out of your way to get this stuff,” said activist Emir Lions. “People that don’t have a car. People that do not have family and friends.”

“Some seniors can’t travel,” added Calloway.

Instead, CBS 2 saw seniors taking buses, walking miles with only what their hands could carry. Calloway said neighborhoods without access to pharmacies or grocery stores could get worse if the city doesn’t find solutions soon."

https://chicago.cbslocal.com/2020/06/03 ... -violence/

Darren

Post by Darren »

Good does prevail. But not enough.

"He watched people's hands in the crowd, making sure nobody had a weapon and scanning for things thrown from protesters in the back.

It was at this moment that a man emerged from the crowd in a red University of Louisville mask covering the lower half of his face. He put himself between the closest protester and Hinshaw.

The Courier Journal captured the moment in a photograph that has now been shared across the nation."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/prote ... r-BB157X7Y

dales

Post by dales »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 4:10 pm
Now can we ALL agree there is a problem with police culture?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.syracu ... Type%3Damp

He’s in stable condition, which is lucky. That kind of injury could’ve easily killed him, and might still result in life altering physical and cognitive limitations. Any fucking idiot knows elderly people don’t have the same balance and agility as young people. These fucking cops are despicable. They are FERAL. They are unfit to serve and represent decent people.
This Just In:
Buffalo mayor says elderly protester pushed to ground by police was an 'agitator'

Oliver O'Connell

The IndependentJune 6, 2020, 5:17 AM PDT

The mayor of Buffalo has said that the elderly protester filmed being knocked to the ground by police in a now viral video was an “agitator” who has been asked to leave the area “numerous” times.

Byron Brown said that the 75-year-old man, Martin Gugino, was trying to “spark up the crowd of people”.

Two officers appeared to push Mr Gugino, who hit his head on the pavement and was seen to be bleeding from a head wound after the incident near Niagara Square in Buffalo, New York.

Mr Gugino was rushed to Erie County Medical Centre, where he is in a stable but serious condition. Both officers have been suspended without pay and an internal affairs investigation launched.

Explaining why they had not been fired, Mayor Brown told WBEN Radio: “I don’t want to jump ahead of the investigation. It is very important for officers to know they are getting due process.”

Mr Brown spoke about the violence and vandalism that had erupted after protests over the death of George Floyd and said that Mr Gugino was “a key and major instigator of people engaging in those activities”.

The entire 57-member emergency response team of the Buffalo Police Department resigned after the two officers were suspended.

The resignations were confirmed by the police union and two law enforcement that spoke to The Buffalo News.

The development that the members resigned “out of support for the suspended officers, as well as the disgust with the admin”, was first reported by Spectrum News.

Buffalo Police Benevolent Association President John Evans said the officers were “simply doing their job” and the man “slipped” during the interaction, which was aired by local news WBFO on Thursday night.

“Our position is these officers were simply following orders from Deputy Police Commissioner Joseph Gramaglia to clear the square,” Mr Evans told The Buffalo News.

“It doesn’t specify clear the square of men, 50 and under or 15 to 40. They were simply doing their job. I don’t know how much contact was made. He did slip in my estimation. He fell backwards.”

The mass resignation reportedly follows the union’s direction to members on Friday that they would no longer pay legal fees to defend officers from incidents stemming from the protests.

An earlier statement from Mayor Brown confirmed “developments related to work assignments”, which reportedly sees the officers resigned from the tactical unit but not from the larger police department.

“At this time, we can confirm that contingency plans are in place to maintain police services and ensure public safety within our community,” Mr Brown said.

New York State Police confirmed that additional troopers were called into the region, including members of the mobile field unit.
Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz said told a press conference on Friday that he was “utterly disgusted“ by the officers’ decision to quit the tactical unit.

The Erie County District Attorney is investigating the incident but no charges have yet been filed. Mr Evans said the police union would pay for any defence costs of the two officers.

“We stand behind those officers 100 per cent,” he said.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato