There is war in the streets of America tonight

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Scooter

There is war in the streets of America tonight

Post by Scooter »

Choose a side, because a reckoning is coming.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Joe Guy

Re: There is war in the streets of America tonight

Post by Joe Guy »

I'm not trying to be a wise-ass, but what do you mean by "Choose a side"? Is there anyone who is supporting the murderer/cop? I'm against burning down buildings and destroying property but I am for large crowds protesting loudly and, of course, prosecuting the murderers.

Darren

Post by Darren »

"Twyana Balla was at the downtown rally with her sister-in-law, seeking justice for Floyd. Balla was ready to open a sports bar on Lake Street with her husband — a Brooklyn Center firefighter — and then COVID-19 hit. And then their restaurant got ransacked during Wednesday night’s looting. As they tried to clean up Thursday, hooligans still sought to get in the back door."

Twyana Balla, whose planned sports bar was ransacked Wednesday night, came to the rally for justice for George Floyd anyway. Photo by Max Nesterak/Minnesota Reformer.

https://minnesotareformer.com/2020/05/2 ... rge-floyd/
Thank you RBG wherever you are!

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

Yes there are plenty of folks making the usual ignorant comments on social media, and a few have already lost their jobs for publicly supporting Chauvin’s actions or making light by posting spoof videos/photos about the neck compression technique he used - do some Google searching Sherlock.

I sure hope the cop who was identified by protestors after he dressed like antifa and vandalized an auto parts store in Minneapolis is also charged and fired from police work.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

One of the worst results of these kinds of protests/riots is that it is obvious that a percentage of the people who are present very likely don't even care about the cause. They just hate cops and/or see an opportunity to get drunk and do some damage with a relatively small risk of being arrested.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I'm saying you're either a racist or an anti-racist. There's no room for "I'm not a racist" anymore. I'm saying that the window for peaceful protests is probably over, because those who have used them to try to bring about change have seen them fail over and over again as the protests have ended and life (and deaths) have gone on as before. I'm saying that a bill of oppression and violence and death that has been accumulating for 400 years is coming due. I'm saying that violence is probably the only language that the oppressors will ever understand, and that if you believe that it should be answered with more repression, then you are siding with the oppressors.

So yes, I'm saying you need to choose a side.

-- Author unknown

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

Scooter wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 1:39 am
I'm saying you're either a racist or an anti-racist. There's no room for "I'm not a racist" anymore.
People who aren't card carrying members of a racist group aren't likely to admit they are racists. Most of them are like Trump - obviously racist but unable to state the obvious. FWIW, I'm noticing on TV there are white people out there protesting too. I don't know if that's the media trying to influence our view of what is happening or if it's real and there are people of all races out there protesting. I hope it's the latter.

dales

Post by dales »

Look for the reparations crowd to start yammering again.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

dales wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 2:35 am
Look for the reparations crowd to start yammering again.
Fuck you too.

Yes, there are lots of white folks in the streets too - protesting. Most of us are sick to death of the racists among us.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

dales

Post by dales »

BSG:

Your supposed Mayflower ancestors must be very proud of you.

Such a classy broad.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

datsunaholic

Post by datsunaholic »

I don't see where choosing between two wrongs is a necessary choice. The lesser wrong isn't right, and it's not binary. I choose to say both are wrong.

I also don't see where violence against the oppressors is going to work, because the oppressors are better armed and better trained. Even if it were to devolve into all out anarchy eventually someone will come back into power, small groups at first but all that's happened is you've replaced one set of oppressors with another.

The key is to remove the oppressors, not replace them. I'd like to see where that's ever happened in human history.

I am aware that I've lived a life of privilege that others have not had. But I also don't see where letting someone destroy what I've spent my life building is going to help anyone.

When it comes to racists, I try to remove them from my life. I try, though with limited success, to avoid patronizing stores that are run by intolerant people. It's not like many of them openly advertise their racism... though if they're flying a rebel flag then yeah I'm not going to go in there. Unfortunately when I have family members that are racist, it is next to impossible. I've never estranged anyone in my family, and I abhor conflict so when that argument happens (along with folks denying being racist when they clearly are) I leave before I get myself kicked out for arguing with elders.
Death is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

dales wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 3:13 am
BSG:

Your supposed Mayflower ancestors must be very proud of you.

Such a classy broad.
Male posters on this board use colorful language all the time - so, way to play the sexism card, dales.

Anyway, do you really think I put any value on your opinion of me? :roll: :lol:

Life is shorter by the hour, I have no time for racist sexist bitter old incel men.
~ Carl Sagan

dales

Post by dales »

I'm hardly bitter.

I own my own home (paid for), have two lovely daughters and three adorable grandchildren, plenty to be thankful for.

You are the one who sounds bitter and at odds with the world.

With all your challenges you've shared on this bbs (financial. health, relationships, career, etc....…..Can't say as I blame you,

Be of good cheer, this too shall pass.....

yrs,
rubato

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I’m bitter about racists, yes - because I have a conscience and care about much more than just whether I’ve got my own.

Your post and attempt to denigrate my life and accuse me of being a lesser, miserable person just because my life isn’t like yours which is apparently the only construct you can envision as constituting a worthwhile life really reveals your small mindedness, dales.

I’ve never lamented relationship issues on this board (apart from the odd comment here or there about peculiarities of past partners) because I’m not at all unhappy with my status - I rejected a number of opportunities to be married or otherwise committed in my life and I don’t at all regret that.

I’ve made a very good living at times in my life and not so much at others and yes, now I’m poor due largely to health issues - but unlike you, I don’t consider that to make my life any less valuable or fulfilling, because my material needs are minimal and the richness of my life is measured by my intellectual experience of it and my many wonderful friendships. Sure if I win the lottery I’ll enjoy traveling and splurging a bit on this or that - but I’m largely content with my lot.

Your need to attack me - my use of salty language like I should be ashamed to talk like that because I’m supposed to be a lady, and your feeble attempt to denigrate me for being single, poor and coping with a chronic autoimmune condition - reveals you to be kind of a straight up dick as well as a racist.

So - I’m glad you’ve got yours, but it apparently hasn’t done a bit to nurture in you an ounce of loving kindness toward your fellow humans. I’d rather have my life than yours 10 days out of 10, shitty as you think it is. Chew on that.
~ Carl Sagan

dales

Post by dales »

Yep, bitter as hell.

Sad.

yrs,
rubato

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

If there is a war, then I'm wearing the wrong uniform no matter what I believe to be right and wrong.

There's no choice but to shoot back (once I'm home) at anyone who shoots at me. I am prejudiced against any and all kinds of people trying to harm me or mine.

What bothers me about all this is . . . if I had been there when a black man was being slowly killed by a cop, would I have had the balls to rush over and push the bastard off his throat? Might have saved his life.

Would I have had the courage to do that if I knew for a fact that no-one was taking a video that might save MY life or prevent MY going to jail?

How about you brave people?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

Ah, the good old USA, land of the free, bastion of democracy, with the greatest healthcare, best education, world beating lifestyle, etc etc etc ..

Sorry, I have to stop now, I'm laughing too hard....

(Sorry Jim, you know I love pisstaking..)
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Darren

Post by Darren »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 7:33 am
If there is a war, then I'm wearing the wrong uniform no matter what I believe to be right and wrong.

There's no choice but to shoot back (once I'm home) at anyone who shoots at me. I am prejudiced against any and all kinds of people trying to harm me or mine.

What bothers me about all this is . . . if I had been there when a black man was being slowly killed by a cop, would I have had the balls to rush over and push the bastard off his throat? Might have saved his life.

Would I have had the courage to do that if I knew for a fact that no-one was taking a video that might save MY life or prevent MY going to jail?

How about you brave people?
You'd might have been a hero or someone who might have had to be saved by the cops when the suspect turned out to be on meth and had super human strength. I've read of suspects on drugs that were shot multiple times and still almost killed the cops.

We still don't know all the story about George Floyd. It makes sense now why the cop was charged with murder 3 AND manslaughter. Obviously the cop played a part in Floyd's death. Now that the autopsy showed he did not die of asphyxiation it gets strange. I'm waiting for the toxicology report. The original 911 call was about Floyd's behavior.

I've been though enough firearms training to know that if I had a gun and I came upon an incident I might not be able to tell who the bad guy is. Same with the cops fighting someone.

What's the story?

Did a hardened criminal finally get caught?

Is the person on drugs?

Is it a domestic disturbance issue of the he said, she said type?

Floyd was 6' 6" tall. I'd hesitate before jumping into a melee with someone like that at my age.

I was almost involved in something like that over forty years ago. In that incident the cops chased the Black guy down and he didn't fight. Nor did they beat on him. Racism was alive and well in Mississippi then and I'll bet my ass it still is.

Darren

Post by Darren »

"Dr. Cornel West said on Friday we are witnessing the failed social experiment that is the United States of America in the protests and riots that have followed the death of George Floyd at the hands of Minneapolis police. West told CNN host Anderson Cooper that what is going on is rebellion to a failed capitalist economy that does not protect the people. West, a professor, denounced the neoliberal wing of the Democratic party that is all about "black faces in high places" but not actual change. The professor remarked even those black faces often lose legitimacy because they ingriatiate themselves into the establishment neo-liberal Democratic party."

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Darren wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 11:03 am
the autopsy showed he did not die of asphyxiation
The autopsy showed no evidence of traumatic asphyxiation or strangulation, such as you might see when someone is killed when suffocated with a pillow, or hanged by the neck. It doesn't mean that Chauvin's foot on Floyd's neck didn't constrict his airway or impede blood flow in such a way as to directly cause his death.

-- Author unknown