The path of love

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Guinevere

The path of love

Post by Guinevere »

Op-ed from this morning's WaPo, by Presiding Bishop Michael Curry:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... uQN_K2P0nE
By Michael B. Curry
May 31, 2020 at 8:00 a.m. EDT
Michael B. Curry is presiding bishop of the Episcopal Church.

I am an African American man, blessed to serve as the presiding bishop of the Episcopal Church. In my 67 years, I have seen our country change a great deal. But what happened to George Floyd, Breonna Taylor, Ahmaud Arbery, Sandra Bland, Paul Castaway, Melissa Ventura, Eric Garner, Michael Brown, Trayvon Martin and countless others has been a sad constant.

Back in the 1960s and ’70s, my father ran the Human Relations Commission for the city of Buffalo. He organized sensitivity trainings for the police department, many of whose members he respected and liked. He also warned me to be careful whenever I interacted with the police, because he knew the dangers for a young black man were real. As events in Minneapolis have revealed, that danger has not changed. What has changed is technology: Today, cellphones document racial terror. That is why we see frustration, pain and anger rippling through our streets today. We should all feel the same.

But that frustration must not lead to fatalism or despair. We are not condemned to live this way forever. I recommend a different path — the path of love.

Our nation’s heart breaks right now because we have strayed far from the path of love. Because love does not look like one man’s knee on another man’s neck, crushing the God-given life out of him. This is callous disregard for the life of another human being, shown in the willingness to snuff it out brutally as the unarmed victim pleads for mercy.

Love does not look like the harm being caused by some police or some protesters in our cities. Violence against any person is violence against a child of God, created in God’s image. And that ultimately is violence against God, which is blasphemy — the denial of the God whose love is the root of genuine justice and true human dignity and equality.

Love does not look like the silence and complicity of too many of us, who wish more for tranquility than justice.

“What does love look like? Not like this.” These words — spoken Thursday night by my friend Craig Loya, the newly elected Episcopal bishop of Minnesota — haunt me. I look at searing images of racialized violence across our country — against the backdrop of the disproportionate number of covid-19 victims who are black, brown and native — and I cannot help but notice love’s profound and tragic absence.

So what is the path of love? In times like these, how can we find it and follow it?

When I think about what love looks like, I see us channeling our holy rage into concrete, productive and powerful action. In this moment, love looks like voting for leadership at the local, state, and federal level that will help us to make lasting reform. Love looks like calling on officials and demanding they fulfill their duty to protect the dignity of every child of God.

Love looks like making the long-term commitment to racial healing, justice and truth-telling — knowing that, without intentional, ongoing intervention on the part of every person of good will, America will cling to its original, racist ways of being.

Love looks like working with local police departments to build relationships with the community and develop mechanisms that hold officers accountable. It means ensuring that no police officer with a history of unauthorized force or racialized violence is shielded and allowed to endanger the lives of those they’ve sworn to protect and serve.

Love looks like all of us — people of every race and religion and national origin and political affiliation — standing up and saying “Enough! We can do better than this. We can be better than this.”

What does love look like? I believe that is what Jesus of Nazareth taught us. It looks like the biblical Good Samaritan, an outsider who spends his time and money healing somebody he doesn’t know or even like.

What America has seen in the past several days may leave us wondering what we can possibly do in this moment to be good Samaritans — to help heal our country, even the parts we don’t know or like. But we have the answer. Now is the time for a national renewal of the ideals of human equality, liberty, and justice for all. Now is the time to commit to cherishing and respecting all lives, and to honoring the dignity and infinite worth of every child of God. Now is the time for all of us to show — in our words, our actions, and our lives — what love really looks like.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

MajGenl.Meade

Re: The path of love

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Thanks
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

RayThom

The path of love

Post by RayThom »

There's too much emphasis on the "love" word. That's a concept quite elusive to far too many, especially in today's sociopolitical climate.

Take the biblical "love thy neighbor" that ministers always preach about. Well, the people next door to me may be good Christians and I suspect they may love me, as per their religious beliefs. We get along really well. However, the family in the next block down are in some kind of personal feud with my neighbors, heightened by police intervention on occasion.

Where's the love?

I'd settle for national and/or global "peaceable like" or "kind toleration" right now in the hope that at some point love -- based on yet another elusive concept 'trust' -- would come naturally as we prove we are all worthy of love, and trust.

This whole love thing is going to be a generation process. Maybe the events of the last few days, the last few weeks, the last few months, will be the genesis and the nexus for better understanding of our fellow human beings.

Maybe!?
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

Darren

Post by Darren »

The issue is perceived difference.

Just like our bodies are made up of as many bacteria, viruses, fungi, etc. as human cells so do we comprise a greater whole. Until you recognize the whole you will one way or another be stuck on the differences.

The differences such as Christian/non-Christian, Black/white, degree/no degree, young/old, Democrat/Republican, rich/poor are a small list of what is an important aspect of human nature that helps us and also deludes us.

Understanding that aspect of human nature is the route to love/acceptance.
Thank you RBG wherever you are!

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Great post Scooter, thanks.

Ray--
I'd settle for national and/or global "peaceable like" or "kind toleration" right now in the hope that at some point love -- based on yet another elusive concept 'trust' -- would come naturally
I think in a way that's what the good reverend was saying, applying the teachings of Jesus. If we have love in our hearts, we can strive for equality and justice, and will try to be better than what we are. It should come natiurally, but in this day and age, and I think we have to take it however it comes.

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Scooter? Is this another Joe/wesw thing?
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

MajGenl.Meade wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:25 pm
Scooter? Is this another Joe/wesw thing?
I’ll never tell :mrgreen:
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Guin, they found us out!!
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

RayThom

The path of love

Post by RayThom »

Thanks, Scooter.
“In a world whose absurdity appears to be so impenetrable, we simply must reach a greater degree of understanding among us, a greater sincerity.” 

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

Thanks, Guin

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

:lol:

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Scooter wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:34 pm
Well we both like cowboys .... 8-)

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Guinevere wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:59 pm
Scooter wrote:
Mon Jun 01, 2020 2:34 pm
Well we both like cowboys .... 8-)
and Justin Trudeau, IIRC.