Does black thought matter?

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Joe Guy

Re: Does black thought matter?

Post by Joe Guy »

When Gob spent more time here (before he became more active with Facebook), he quite often would post many articles about a variety of subjects without adding any comments. The idea (I always assumed) was to give people things to discuss. He might join in later with his opinion or he would not. It was and is good for the board because there are/were times when people need a push to start a conversation...

Gob

Post by Gob »

datsunaholic wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:39 am

By posting the article, without comment, shows you agree with it. People generally don't post things they don't agree with without actually saying they don't agree with them, to show that the comments do not echo their own.
Posting articles without comment is something I have done since the days of the CSB, I always think that if the person posting the article comments first, then they set the agenda. I always prefer to let the article set the agenda.,
datsunaholic wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:39 am
Esther Krauke is a supporter/contributor to Turning Point UK, which is a strongly right-wing conservative group that targets Millenials to "Combat Liberalism". So this isn't an example of an average Black woman being against BLM... it's a young alt-right woman in an organization that will always oppose BLM because of it's call for change. Which Conservatives fear the most.
But we're not allowed to discuss that, as the article is by a black woman who seems to oppose BLM, and therefore is verboten to have her views aired here.. :D
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Gob

Post by Gob »

Joe Guy wrote:
Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:52 am
When Gob spent more time here (before he became more active with Facebook), he quite often would post many articles about a variety of subjects without adding any comments. The idea (I always assumed) was to give people things to discuss. He might join in later with his opinion or he would not. It was and is good for the board because there are/were times when people need a push to start a conversation...
Sorry Joe, I hadn't read your before posting my reply to Datsun, you'd already clarified that in advance. My thanks.
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

You Want a Confederate Monument? My Body Is a Confederate Monument

By Caroline Randall Williams

June 26, 2020

NASHVILLE — I have rape-colored skin. My light-brown-blackness is a living testament to the rules, the practices, the causes of the Old South.

If there are those who want to remember the legacy of the Confederacy, if they want monuments, well, then, my body is a monument. My skin is a monument.

Dead Confederates are honored all over this country — with cartoonish private statues, solemn public monuments and even in the names of United States Army bases. It fortifies and heartens me to witness the protests against this practice and the growing clamor from serious, nonpartisan public servants to redress it. But there are still those — like President Trump and the Senate majority leader, Mitch McConnell — who cannot understand the difference between rewriting and reframing the past. I say it is not a matter of “airbrushing” history, but of adding a new perspective.

I am a black, Southern woman, and of my immediate white male ancestors, all of them were rapists. My very existence is a relic of slavery and Jim Crow.

According to the rule of hypodescent (the social and legal practice of assigning a genetically mixed-race person to the race with less social power) I am the daughter of two black people, the granddaughter of four black people, the great-granddaughter of eight black people. Go back one more generation and it gets less straightforward, and more sinister. As far as family history has always told, and as modern DNA testing has allowed me to confirm, I am the descendant of black women who were domestic servants and white men who raped their help.

It is an extraordinary truth of my life that I am biologically more than half white, and yet I have no white people in my genealogy in living memory. No. Voluntary. Whiteness. I am more than half white, and none of it was consensual. White Southern men — my ancestors — took what they wanted from women they did not love, over whom they had extraordinary power, and then failed to claim their children.

What is a monument but a standing memory? An artifact to make tangible the truth of the past. My body and blood are a tangible truth of the South and its past. The black people I come from were owned by the white people I come from. The white people I come from fought and died for their Lost Cause. And I ask you now, who dares to tell me to celebrate them? Who dares to ask me to accept their mounted pedestals?

You cannot dismiss me as someone who doesn’t understand. You cannot say it wasn’t my family members who fought and died. My blackness does not put me on the other side of anything. It puts me squarely at the heart of the debate. I don’t just come from the South. I come from Confederates. I’ve got rebel-gray blue blood coursing my veins. My great-grandfather Will was raised with the knowledge that Edmund Pettus was his father. Pettus, the storied Confederate general, the grand dragon of the Ku Klux Klan, the man for whom Selma’s Bloody Sunday Bridge is named. So I am not an outsider who makes these demands. I am a great-great-granddaughter.

And here I’m called to say that there is much about the South that is precious to me. I do my best teaching and writing here. There is, however, a peculiar model of Southern pride that must now, at long last, be reckoned with.

This is not an ignorant pride but a defiant one. It is a pride that says, “Our history is rich, our causes are justified, our ancestors lie beyond reproach.” It is a pining for greatness, if you will, a wish again for a certain kind of American memory. A monument-worthy memory.

But here’s the thing: Our ancestors don’t deserve your unconditional pride. Yes, I am proud of every one of my black ancestors who survived slavery. They earned that pride, by any decent person’s reckoning. But I am not proud of the white ancestors whom I know, by virtue of my very existence, to be bad actors.

Among the apologists for the Southern cause and for its monuments, there are those who dismiss the hardships of the past. They imagine a world of benevolent masters, and speak with misty eyes of gentility and honor and the land. They deny plantation rape, or explain it away, or question the degree of frequency with which it occurred.

To those people it is my privilege to say, I am proof. I am proof that whatever else the South might have been, or might believe itself to be, it was and is a space whose prosperity and sense of romance and nostalgia were built upon the grievous exploitation of black life.

The dream version of the Old South never existed. Any manufactured monument to that time in that place tells half a truth at best. The ideas and ideals it purports to honor are not real. To those who have embraced these delusions: Now is the time to re-examine your position.

Either you have been blind to a truth that my body’s story forces you to see, or you really do mean to honor the oppressors at the expense of the oppressed, and you must at last acknowledge your emotional investment in a legacy of hate.

Either way, I say the monuments of stone and metal, the monuments of cloth and wood, all the man-made monuments, must come down. I defy any sentimental Southerner to defend our ancestors to me. I am quite literally made of the reasons to strip them of their laurels.

Caroline Randall Williams (@caroranwill) is the author of “Lucy Negro, Redux” and “Soul Food Love,” and a writer in residence at Vanderbilt University.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

And while we are taking down statues, that bridge in Selma has to be renamed.

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:13 pm
And while we are taking down statues, that bridge in Selma has to be renamed.
Tear down that bridge!

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Black slaves were raped by white masters.  Meso-american natives were raped by the Spanish.  The Japanese raped Chinese women during the conquest of Manchuria.  I'm sure the Germans took non-consensual carnal pleasure among the subjugated peoples of Europe during WWI and WWII, and indigenous native American people raped white female captives since the days of Plymouth Rock.  And of course, liberty's "people of the steppes" raped just about anything they could get their hands on as they conquered much of the known world, just as I'm sure the Roman legions did before them, and Alexander the Great's Macedonians did before THAT.

So we're all a bunch of mongrels, mixed-breeds, and mud-bloods.  There ain't a thoroughbred among any of us. Kwitcherbellyakin, lady.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

Gob

Post by Gob »

A prominent organiser of Britain’s Black Lives Matter protests believes the campaign has been ‘hijacked’ by a group of far-Left activists.

In an outspoken attack, Imarn Ayton, 29, also voiced fears that people may have donated towards a high-profile online fundraising campaign without realising that those behind it want to tear down capitalism and abolish the police.

Ms Ayton, an activist and actress, said she organised the Black Lives Matter rally in London’s Parliament Square on June 6 and a peaceful protest in Hyde Park on June 20.

She claimed that Black Lives Matter UK, the campaign group behind the fundraising campaign that has raised more than £1 million, had not been involved in organising the demonstrations.

‘A lot of people assume they were the driving force behind the protest when in actual fact they just support the protests,’ she told The Mail on Sunday.

‘The BLM movement is a separate entity to BLM UK. I have no contact with BLM UK and they have not been on the ground once.

‘The issue with BLM UK is they have not revealed themselves, they have not been transparent. They are abolitionists, they believe in the removal of prisons, smashing capitalism and abolishing the police.’

BLM UK was formed in 2016 but rose to prominence this year after the death of George Floyd in the US and a campaign in Britain to take down statues of figures linked to slavery or colonialism.

The group’s Twitter feed, which has the same distinctive black and yellow colour scheme as the US campaign, has 74,000 followers and its Instagram page has 78,000.

A crowdfunding campaign launched by the group on June 2 has attracted 34,500 donations totalling £1.1 million. But opposition has grown over BLM UK’s far-Left policy agenda and a tweet posted last week criticising Israel.

The leadership of the group also remains secret.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

I recall the same things were said about the antiwar and civil rights groups in the 60s--it eventually progressed to they were communist fronts. Weren't true then--not sure now but I have no reason reason to assume it's any more true now. If you can't refute the positions, it's better to attack the leadership.

Gob

Post by Gob »

No one knows who the leadership of BLM UK are. But suckers still gave them a million quid.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Is it a charitable organization? If so, I would imagine some leaders would have to be identified in filings (although these may not be the political leaders, but they are responsible for stewardship of the donations received); I know this is the case with the US. But most of these movements have no single leader or small groups of leaders, they're more led from the bottom up and embrace a variety of agendas. I recall many of the 60s antiwar groups loosely fell under the auspices of some student groups (like the SDA) and even received some funding from them, but there was no agreement on political agendas.

Gob

Post by Gob »

https://www.blacklivesmatter.uk

A group who have set up a "go fund me" page, does not have to be a charity, nor name it's principals.

Though it looks like these scammers are using pay-pal.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Well, if people give that much to a go fund me campaign, they get what they deserve (and what they bargained for).

Darren

Post by Darren »

Gob wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 2:42 pm
No one knows who the leadership of BLM UK are. But suckers still gave them a million quid.
""“There is another class of coloured people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs — partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs.”"
Thank you RBG wherever you are!

dales

Post by dales »

“There is another class of coloured people who make a business of keeping the troubles, the wrongs, and the hardships of the Negro race before the public. Having learned that they are able to make a living out of their troubles, they have grown into the settled habit of advertising their wrongs — partly because they want sympathy and partly because it pays. Some of these people do not want the Negro to lose his grievances, because they do not want to lose their jobs.”

― Booker T. Washington

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Joe Guy

Post by Joe Guy »

I've always liked his song, "Green Onions." Here's a live version.... :D

dales

Post by dales »

I've always preferred this:

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

Washington's approach was to seek basic education and economic advancement at the expense of political and civil rights, so as to avoid a white backlash. His Atlanta Compromise, proposing that blacks would submit to white rule in exchange for rudimentary education and being afforded due process of law, was derided by many other black leaders, and of course was widely reneged on by whites in the ensuing decades. His strategy of advising blacks to work hard in the service of white society and to keep their heads down was ultimately a failure.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Before I post anything, I usually look for a related thread in which to post, rather than start another new thread. So...

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God