Congressman John Lewis

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
BoSoxGal

Congressman John Lewis

Post by BoSoxGal »

There’s a movement to rename the Edmund Pettus Bridge for John Lewis - all the more urgent now that he’s passed away.

https://johnlewisbridge.com/

Rest in Power, sir. :hug:
Last edited by BoSoxGal on Sat Jul 18, 2020 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Sue U

Re: Congressman John Lewis

Post by Sue U »

That's entirely appropriate,
GAH!

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

Marco Rubio posted a picture of John Lewis on his Twatter in tribute. Sadly Sen Rubio chose a picture of Elijah Cummings. Easy mistake to make of course. Two elderly gents, obvious lookalikes. Rubio later deleted the tweet.

Not to be outdone, Trump posted this message on his Twatter account.

Donald J. Trump
@realDonaldTrump
Saddened to hear the news of civil rights hero John Lewis passing. Melania and I send our prayers to he and his family.

Trump is of course the author of at least one NYT best seller, allegedly. It's sad that such a talented and successful writer doesn't have the first idea about the basics of English grammar. I have no quarrel with the sentiment.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

ex-khobar Andy wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 8:02 pm
Marco Rubio posted a picture of John Lewis on his Twatter in tribute. Sadly Sen Rubio chose a picture of Elijah Cummings. Easy mistake to make of course. Two elderly gents, obvious lookalikes.
Dan Sullivan made the same "error". It's as if Republicans are telegraphing, "hey, dem coloreds look all the same to us crackers."
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Sat Jul 18, 2020 4:39 pm
There’s a movement to rename the Edmund Pettus Bridge for John Lewis - all the more urgent now that he’s passed away.

https://johnlewisbridge.com/

Rest in Power, sir. :hug:
:ok :hug:
I believe I posted about the bridge renaming project a couple of weeks ago. I'm glad the push got started while he was still alive, so he knew about it before he died.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Econoline wrote:
Sun Jul 19, 2020 9:53 am
THIS!
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

All of those.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Econoline

Post by Econoline »

Published today, in the New York Times:
Together, You Can Redeem the Soul of Our Nation

While my time here has now come to an end, I want you to know that in the last days and hours of my life you inspired me. You filled me with hope about the next chapter of the great American story when you used your power to make a difference in our society. Millions of people motivated simply by human compassion laid down the burdens of division. Around the country and the world you set aside race, class, age, language and nationality to demand respect for human dignity.

That is why I had to visit Black Lives Matter Plaza in Washington, though I was admitted to the hospital the following day. I just had to see and feel it for myself that, after many years of silent witness, the truth is still marching on.

Emmett Till was my George Floyd. He was my Rayshard Brooks, Sandra Bland and Breonna Taylor. He was 14 when he was killed, and I was only 15 years old at the time. I will never ever forget the moment when it became so clear that he could easily have been me. In those days, fear constrained us like an imaginary prison, and troubling thoughts of potential brutality committed for no understandable reason were the bars.

Though I was surrounded by two loving parents, plenty of brothers, sisters and cousins, their love could not protect me from the unholy oppression waiting just outside that family circle. Unchecked, unrestrained violence and government-sanctioned terror had the power to turn a simple stroll to the store for some Skittles or an innocent morning jog down a lonesome country road into a nightmare. If we are to survive as one unified nation, we must discover what so readily takes root in our hearts that could rob Mother Emanuel Church in South Carolina of her brightest and best, shoot unwitting concertgoers in Las Vegas and choke to death the hopes and dreams of a gifted violinist like Elijah McClain.

Like so many young people today, I was searching for a way out, or some might say a way in, and then I heard the voice of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. on an old radio. He was talking about the philosophy and discipline of nonviolence. He said we are all complicit when we tolerate injustice. He said it is not enough to say it will get better by and by. He said each of us has a moral obligation to stand up, speak up and speak out. When you see something that is not right, you must say something. You must do something. Democracy is not a state. It is an act, and each generation must do its part to help build what we called the Beloved Community, a nation and world society at peace with itself.

Ordinary people with extraordinary vision can redeem the soul of America by getting in what I call good trouble, necessary trouble. Voting and participating in the democratic process are key. The vote is the most powerful nonviolent change agent you have in a democratic society. You must use it because it is not guaranteed. You can lose it.

You must also study and learn the lessons of history because humanity has been involved in this soul-wrenching, existential struggle for a very long time. People on every continent have stood in your shoes, through decades and centuries before you. The truth does not change, and that is why the answers worked out long ago can help you find solutions to the challenges of our time. Continue to build union between movements stretching across the globe because we must put away our willingness to profit from the exploitation of others.

Though I may not be here with you, I urge you to answer the highest calling of your heart and stand up for what you truly believe. In my life I have done all I can to demonstrate that the way of peace, the way of love and nonviolence is the more excellent way. Now it is your turn to let freedom ring.

When historians pick up their pens to write the story of the 21st century, let them say that it was your generation who laid down the heavy burdens of hate at last and that peace finally triumphed over violence, aggression and war. So I say to you, walk with the wind, brothers and sisters, and let the spirit of peace and the power of everlasting love be your guide.

John Lewis, the civil rights leader and congressman who died on July 17, wrote this essay shortly before his death, to be published upon the day of his funeral.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I cried so much today I have a terrible headache now - it goes well with my heartache.

I want to be hopeful, but mostly I feel like the last of a most extraordinary group of Americans is gone and we are much the lesser for it. I don’t believe we will ever again see the likes of John Lewis, because that era of civility is long gone from our civic life and politics.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:04 am
I don’t believe we will ever again see the likes of John Lewis, because that era of civility is long gone from our civic life and politics.
Kind of ironic coming from someone whose stock answer to anyone who does not agree whole-heartedly with her view or opinions on a topic is to instruct them to go and have intercourse with themselves.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

BSG has never claimed to have the restraint of John Lewis; and nor do any of us.

I listened to what I could on the radio in the car - had some errands I had to run - but missed GWB, Nancy Pelosi and Bill Clinton. But I got home in time to watch Obama. Seriously, there are people on this planet, in this country - the richest and most educated on earth, - even here on this board, who prefer the present occupant (I use the word in all its senses) of the White House to a man who can string a few words into a sentence, who can talk for more than a few minutes without embarrassing himself and his country, who can understand a concept which does not involve dollars in his own pockets, and who above all has empathy with the rest of us? Seriously?

That this fraction of voters is even close to 50% is the most horrific part.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

BSG has never claimed to have the restraint of John Lewis; and nor do any of us.
True, but then we don't have to have that restraint and the ability to compromise and work with others to arrive at suitable solutions to emotionally charged/serious problems. But you need to have the skills necessary for your job, and a politician's job in a representative democracy involves exactly that. Sadly, we are getting more and more into a situation where politicians are more likely to say screw off to the opposition than to get things done. It's not just Trump, we have been a long this road for a long time. Face it, even Richard Nixon (who I had very little respect for) knew how to compromise (or else why would the darling of the HUAC go to open communist China?); many republicans (and even some dixiecrats), supported the civil rights act of 1964; the list can go on an on. But it's easier to stand and yell "bullshit" (or "Lock her up") than to discuss issues; it's easier to rip down statues (or stand with guns and protect them) rather than consider those persons as individual; it's even easier to become hopeless and decide to burn everything to the ground(or to stockpile arms and food for the coming war/crisis/battle) than to carry on a dialogue with the other side. Nowadays it's even easier to stay home from the polls to "buy" yourself the excuse "I didn't vote for him".

Face it, democracy is hard and requires a lot of work, but most of us apparently don't think that work is worth it and we elect (or don't vote and condone the election of) people who don't think that work is worthwhile either. And Trump is just the beginning of the downward spiral; eventually we'll elect someone who doesn't just pander to the crowd but knows how to sway it, and (s)he will be endorsed by people saying "at least (s)he is doing something"; and we'll reap the results of our apathy. We could change course, but I doubt we will--many would rather just have it done for them.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

A couple of points:

When I first arrived to the CSB and later transitioned here with all y’all, I didn’t speak so rudely as I do now on occasion.

Time and experience have taken a toll on the people-pleasing deferential approach I used to have to everyone, and my total bullshit tolerance has lowered dramatically. In particular I no longer tolerate certain things from people - nasty personal attacks being one, and sanctimoniously defended racism, sexism, xenophobia, et al. being the other. I have absolutely responded to the devolution of civic discourse both here, and in real life.

Anyone who is paying attention knows that there are quite a few posters here who I have never spoken to in nasty terms. I don’t just randomly attack folks who haven’t been rude or mean to me, or haven’t written what I consider to be truly ugly defenses of unconscionable behavior and/or language. There is actually some method and reason to my bitchiness, and if one doesn’t see that, that’s very likely why one is a target of it.

Sometimes I fuck up and overreact to a well-meaning post - MGMcAnick knows this. Sorry, MGM! I am only human, not part divine like John Lewis.
~ Carl Sagan