Does 4,000,000 cases and 150,000 deaths still qualify as a "mediademic"?

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
Sue U

Re: Does 4,000,000 cases and 150,000 deaths still qualify as a "mediademic"?

Post by Sue U »

BoSoxGal wrote:
Fri Jul 09, 2021 3:06 pm
Why won’t people just get vaccinated?!
Because freedumb!

But also:
According to experts, there are a variety of reasons: lack of access to vaccines, a refusal to see Covid-19 as a threat, concern about the vaccines’ side effects, little trust in the vaccines or the institutions behind them, and belief in at least one of several different conspiracy theories. Some of these reasons overlap and compound; for example, if someone doesn’t see Covid-19 as a big threat, they might decide the vaccine isn’t worth the side effects.

People in some of these categories might be persuadable while others might not. The most resistant are likely going to be really hard to move over at this point, staying at around 15 to 20 percent of the population from poll to poll. But between these hard noes and the already vaccinated are a lot of people who have shown signs of movement before — enough to put a real dent in the fight against Covid-19.
More here.
GAH!

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

My FIL insists it’s a hoax even though it killed his sister.
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Re: Does 44,000,000 cases and 700,000 deaths still qualify as a "mediademic"?

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I thought it was going to go away with the heat in April?
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

Burning Petard

Post by Burning Petard »

Everywhere I go now it is 'mask optional' I see lots with and lots without. I don't see any social confrontations about the issue either way. The last time i Was in the barbershop, I was the only one wearing a mask while waiting and nobody said anything to me about it. Among the people I have ordinary conversation with, there has been consistent observation that the near universal mask has observably reduced to next to nothing, common colds and the 'regular' flu. (Wearing glasses and a mask also tend to keep fingers generally away from face.)

So I am continuing with the mask I am even considering a fourth 'jab'. I am well into geezerdom age group. It has been 8 months since my third shot.
Am going on a plane trip in mid-April, about a 2.5 hour trip each way, not counting time in the air terminal.

snailgate

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

I was in three places today that are now mask optional (as of two days ago); every adult was wearing a mask. Perhaps sanity will prevail...
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

SA has recognized people are voting with their faces - new rule: masks indoors in public places; masks optional outdoors.

And we can now safely stand 1 metre apart rather than that silly old fuddy-duddy 1.5 metres.

Mass outside gatherings still limited to a couple of hundred - except outside sports stadiums can now go up to 20,000 as long as everyone can show proof of vax or neg test taken 24 hours before. Or something like that.

Incidentally, at the moment it's less onerous for us to enter the UK (vax certificate only) than the USA (neg test the day before boarding flight).
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Gob

Post by Gob »

No mask mandate here, but if there is a polite request on a shop door, then I'll oblige.,
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Crackpot

Post by Crackpot »

Have you been declared plague-free yet?
Okay... There's all kinds of things wrong with what you just said.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

My experience is similar to Gob's; for the most part mask mandates no longer exist and I generally do not wear one except in three circumstances : when required by law/regulation (public transport, healthcare setting, etc.), when requested to by the business owner (although I may choose not to enter the business instead), and in places where distancing becomes difficult/impossible (Like a crowded theater). FWIW, except maybe in a bank ( :D ), it doesn't bother me if others choose to wear a mask.

Gob

Post by Gob »

Crackpot wrote:
Thu Mar 24, 2022 11:54 am
Have you been declared plague-free yet?
I have!
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

Just about all the mask mandates here are gone...finally.