Trump A Third Term? -or- Grab Your Barf Bags

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
dales

Trump A Third Term? -or- Grab Your Barf Bags

Post by dales »

Trump Says He Will ‘Negotiate’ Third Term Because He’s ‘Entitled’ To It
Andrew Solender
Andrew SolenderForbes Staff

KEY FACTS
During a rally in Minden, Nevada, Trump predicted he would win reelection and carry Nevada, a state he lost narrowly in 2016.

“After that,” Trump said, “we’ll negotiate,” asserting that he’s “probably entitled to another four after that” based on “the way we were treated.”

The comments echo ones Trump made during a rally in Wisconsin in August, in which he stated he would win four more years and “go for another four years” because “they spied on my campaign,” likely referencing his unproven “Obamagate” theory.

Michael Cohen, Trump’s former fixer-turned prolific critic, has argued that Trump’s comments should not be disregarded as humor, instead asserting that Trump believes he should be the “ruler” or “dictator” of the U.S. and wants to “change the Constitution.”

Cohen predicted that, were Trump to win reelection, “he is going to automatically day number one start thinking how he can change the Constitution for a third term, and then a fourth term.”

Forbes has reached out to the White House and the Trump campaign for comment.

Cohen claimed Trump’s affinity for dictators is the tell that he himself has similar ambitions. “Like what he said to President XI and like what he said to so many other people,” Cohen said of Trump’s musing about a third term. “It's why he admires the Kim Jong Uns of the world."

KEY BACKGROUND
The 22nd amendment to the constitution, ratified in 1951 after Franklin D. Roosevelt’s unprecedented four-term presidency, prohibits a president from seeking more than two terms in office. To change it, Trump would have to whip the votes of a two-thirds majority of both houses of Congress or have two-thirds of state legislatures call a constitutional convention, both unlikely propositions given modern hyper-partisanship.

BIG NUMBER
7.5%. That’s how much Biden leads Trump nationally in the RealClearPolitics average, meaning a second term for Trump may be even more unlikely than a third.

Your collective inability to acknowledge this obvious truth makes you all look like fools.

yrs,
rubato

Big RR

Re: Trump A Third Term? -or- Grab Your Barf Bags

Post by Big RR »

Negotiate? I'm terrified now; the man is the greatest negotiator ever--just ask him. He'll wind up president for life due to those skills :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Gob

Post by Gob »

Oh man, that would be a hoot, he's got to go for it...
“If you trust in yourself, and believe in your dreams, and follow your star. . . you'll still get beaten by people who spent their time working hard and learning things and weren't so lazy.”

eddieq

Post by eddieq »

Clearly there is no legal or constitutional precedent for this.
Clearly our system of checks and balances would head this off.
Clearly the nation is bigger than a bad president.

Of course I remember clearly saying that there is no way this deranged nutball even wins the primary in 2016 yet here we are.

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

I listened to a great conversation on Lincoln Project TV (LPTV, via Facebook) the other day of political scientists discussing the stages of descent into authoritarian rule that occur in a country - they used concrete examples of things that have been happening under Trump and showed how our norms have already changed and the people are already being conditioned to accept a largely false narrative as truth and have grown numb to the repeated violations of law. We are at the precipice for something to push us into the next stage and on down the road to becoming a western Belarus.

The more I hear of the Woodward tapes, the more obvious it is to me that the man is deranged and determined to be a dictator if given half a chance. Sadly there are millions of our fellow citizens who would happily give him that chance.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

eddieq wrote:
Wed Sep 16, 2020 11:54 am

Of course I remember clearly saying that there is no way this deranged nutball even wins the primary in 2016 yet here we are.
Yes. It wasn't even a possibility to be considered.

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

Just so that this does NOT come to pass.....

-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?