RIP RBG

Right? Left? Centre?
Political news and debate.
Put your views and articles up for debate and destruction!
ex-khobar Andy

RIP RBG

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

CNN is reporting.

TPFKA@W

Re: RIP RBG

Post by TPFKA@W »

Boy, she hung on as best she could. Ensue chaos.

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

There'd better be four Republican senators who have enough decency left to refuse to rush through a new appointment before January; otherwise, there really will be cause for riots in the streets and torching the Capitol.
"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're on the menu."

-- Author unknown

BoSoxGal

Post by BoSoxGal »

It’s really too bad how random life and death is in this universe. Cunts thrive and people like RBG die of cancer.
For me, it is far better to grasp the Universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring.
~ Carl Sagan

rubato

Post by rubato »

Scalia was a a cunt and he died.

Sometimes god gets out his mighty smite and they are smote.

yrs,
rubato

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

Scooter wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 12:30 am
There'd better be four Republican senators who have enough decency left to refuse to rush through a new appointment before January; otherwise, there really will be cause for riots in the streets and torching the Capitol.
^^^^^THIS^^^^^

Also: fuck fuck fuck fuck fuckity fuck fuck fuckity fuck à l'orange. :evil: :barf

All Trump has to do is throw the election into chaos—and challenge the result. Then his Supreme Court will determine the election result. Welcome to Hell.
People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

.זיכרונה לברכה

May her memory be a blessing.

And may it inspire a multitude.
GAH!

MajGenl.Meade

Post by MajGenl.Meade »

We have lost the most reasoned voice and mind in the battle for equal justice, equal rights and the Constitution. The woman is a hero.
For Christianity, by identifying truth with faith, must teach-and, properly understood, does teach-that any interference with the truth is immoral. A Christian with faith has nothing to fear from the facts

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

As you know, she is my heroine. I am devastated. I also am grateful for how long and how hard and how well she fought. Her memory and her legacy will be a revolution and a blessing. We are Ruth’s army.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/postscr ... IlLRlwWk_E
Ruth Bader Ginsburg, scholar, lawyer, judge, and Justice, died on Friday at the age of eighty-seven. Born the year Eleanor Roosevelt became First Lady, Ginsburg bore witness to, argued for, and helped to constitutionalize the most hard-fought and least-appreciated revolution in modern American history: the emancipation of women. Aside from Thurgood Marshall, no single American has so wholly advanced the cause of equality under the law.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Bicycle Bill
Location: Surrounded by Trumptards in Rockland, WI – a small rural village in La Crosse County

Post by Bicycle Bill »

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots  and tyrants. It is its natural manure.
........T. Jefferson
Should Congress — meaning the Trumpublicans — try to ram some new Justice onto the court between now and November, I predict a march on Washington and an assault on the Capital Building that will make the British invasion/burning of the White House in 1814 look like a high-school pep rally.

Maybe it's time to spread a little fertilizer, starting with the blood of Mitch McConnell, who has already promised that "Trump's appointee will get a vote on the floor of the Senate (basically because we control the Senate now, and the rest of you can get fucked)",
as well as his boss, the Tyrant-in-Chief.
-"BB"-
Yes, I suppose I could agree with you ... but then we'd both be wrong, wouldn't we?

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

We are of course concerned that Trump will make, and McConnell's Senate will approve, another Kavanaugh to SCOTUS.

It would not surprise me if Trump announced that he would make no appointment until after he is re-elected. This would achieve at least this:
  • take the wind out of D sails by removing the hypocrisy/Garland argument
  • maintain a 5-3 SC majority for if and when he needs it
  • bring some of his reluctant Rs back into line who want above all a SC majority so they have to vote for him
  • show confidence in his campaign
Then watch the polls. He can always find a way to make the announcement so that it can be easily enough broken as necessary. Going back on his word is second nature anyway; and he might find that it has the 'right' effect on the polls.

Jarlaxle

Post by Jarlaxle »

I figure it will be Amy Coney-Barrett.

Though I'd like to see Miguel Estrada.

Big RR

Post by Big RR »

Andy--if Trump were smart (which we know he is not) he would announce that he would not make an appointment until after the election; it woudl give him the 5-3 majority and would give the republicans whose seats are in jeopardy an out (since a vote for his candidate in Oct could only lose them votes); on top of that, if enough republicans defect and don't vote to confirm it would be a stinging defeat for Trump which could well lose him votes. If he loses, he'd still have November and December and most of January to appoint a justice, and the lame duck legislature would likely support him since they would have nothing to lose at that time.

Of course, my guess is he'll bluster on and push ahead to get a nominee confirmed ASAP, and maybe it's the best chance to stop him if he does.

ex-khobar Andy

Post by ex-khobar Andy »

If we ever had any doubt, this shows to me that the Constitution is broke. The composition of the Senate is ludicrous as it applies to the 'advice and consent' role in that 35% of the people hold sway over 65%. EC same thing - it's nonsensical. What may have made sense in the days of the revolution and its repercussions - the need for a united front against the perceived enemy - makes zero sense now. As for the notion that 2/3 of the states might one day vote for some rethinking of the EC - in other words commit mass suicide - it will never happen. Not in our lifetimes nor our children's. Maybe 'never' is too strong a word because it's possible that there will be some event which will concentrate minds.

Econoline
Location: DeKalb, Illinois...out amidst the corn, soybeans, and Republicans

Post by Econoline »

People who are wrong are just as sure they're right as people who are right. The only difference is, they're wrong.
God @The Tweet of God

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown

Guinevere

Post by Guinevere »

Not big enough.
“I ask no favor for my sex. All I ask of our brethren is that they take their feet off our necks.” ~ Ruth Bader Ginsburg, paraphrasing Sarah Moore Grimké

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

2016, Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Texas): “It has been 80 years since a Supreme Court vacancy was nominated and confirmed in an election year. There is a long tradition that you don’t do this in an election year.”

2018, Sen. Lindsey Graham (R-S.C.): “If an opening comes in the last year of President Trump’s term, and the primary process has started, we’ll wait to the next election.”

2016, Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.): “I don’t think we should be moving on a nominee in the last year of this president’s term - I would say that if it was a Republican president.”

2016, Sen. David Perdue (R-Ga.): “The very balance of our nation’s highest court is in serious jeopardy. As a member of the Senate Judiciary Committee, I will do everything in my power to encourage the president and Senate leadership not to start this process until we hear from the American people.”

2016, Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa): “A lifetime appointment that could dramatically impact individual freedoms and change the direction of the court for at least a generation is too important to get bogged down in politics. The American people shouldn’t be denied a voice.”

2016, Sen. Thom Tillis (R-N.C.): “The campaign is already under way. It is essential to the institution of the Senate and to the very health of our republic to not launch our nation into a partisan, divisive confirmation battle during the very same time the American people are casting their ballots to elect our next president.”

2016, Sen. Richard Burr (R-N.C.): “In this election year, the American people will have an opportunity to have their say in the future direction of our country. For this reason, I believe the vacancy left open by Justice Antonin Scalia should not be filled until there is a new president.”

2016, Sen. Roy Blunt (R-Mo.): “The Senate should not confirm a new Supreme Court justice until we have a new president.”

2016, Sen. Cory Gardner (R-Col.): “I think we’re too close to the election. The president who is elected in November should be the one who makes this decision.”

2016, Sen. Rob Portman (R-Ohio): “I believe the best thing for the country is to trust the American people to weigh in on who should make a lifetime appointment that could reshape the Supreme Court for generations. This wouldn’t be unusual. It is common practice for the Senate to stop acting on lifetime appointments during the last year of a presidential term, and it’s been nearly 80 years since any president was permitted to immediately fill a vacancy that arose in a presidential election year.”

2016, Sen. Ron Johnson (R-Wisc.): “I strongly agree that the American people should decide the future direction of the Supreme Court by their votes for president and the majority party in the U.S. Senate.”

-- Author unknown

Sue U

Post by Sue U »

The hypocrisy is spectacular, but hardly unexpected. These men are shameless liars who believe in nothing but grasping for power.
GAH!

Scooter

Post by Scooter »

-- Author unknown